Sutherland Global Services

Updated October 30, 2014
2.9

Sutherland Global Services Chairman and CEO Dilip R. Vellodi
Dilip R. Vellodi

Pros
  • You work from home, you can communicate with coaches and managers through a messenger (in 21 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, freedom to explore imagination and creativity (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is depends upon project you are working on (in 10 reviews)

• low pay, I understand it's because its at home, but call center work is stressful (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Work At Home Place

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is filled with the nicest people. I enjoy waking up and going to work every day. People are so laid back and fun. They truly care about making us better customer service reps. When you screw up, they talk to you and help you become better at the areas you are struggling in.

Cons

training was 5 weeks and I feel like I learn more when I was on the phones myself and figuring it all out. I had about 1 day and a half to practice taking calls before being thrown in it. I wish there was longer and more time of practice with call taking.

Not sure at this point what to say. All good things. Great managers and great people.

Over all good company

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall I liked the company. Training was alot of fun. The only reason I left was to take another job with better pay. Having said that, pay is normal for this type of work.

Cons

On the account I worked, felt like there was little chance to move based on my prior exp.

Don't lock down advancement so tight. Over all great company in my opinon

Management

Former Employee - Team Manager in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Health Care, Opportunity for Advancement, Management Training Program, Promote From Within

Cons

Hours, Salary, Turnover of personnel

Pay better for the work and hours you make your employees work.

More or Less, decent company but they need a lot of work.

Former Employee - WAH Consultant in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - WAH Consultant in Rochester, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Higher wage than most
    Some managers really great and really care
    Nearly all coaches / team leads sincerely care
    As I will acknowledge below, I WILL recommend this job, but watch your back and speak up when you feel the need. Know your rights.

Cons

Frequent tool issues, crashes
    Some managers leave a lot to be desired, inconsistent
    VERY inconsistent with company policy, including attendance guidelines, metrics
    High turnover rate
    They hire under qualified people now
    Over the 3 1/2 years I was there I / we progressively were made to do more work / support more departments as they were phased out

Remember who you are and where you started. (It's the higher up managers who show their true sides.) The main manager who I was under was GREAT!

Good job...not the best technology

I worked at Sutherland Global Services

Pros

Flexible within the industry segment I worked in. Allowed me to work from home and Office. Business all over the world.

Cons

Technology system solutions are out of date within the segment I worked. Other companies passing them at lighspeed

Good for a 1st job

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time

Pros

fun people to work with

Cons

pay is low and no benefits

If you want nothing but lies this is the place to be.

Current Employee - W@H Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - W@H Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Working from home.
    - Most of the RS people are very helpful and some of the coaches.
    - If you are looking for a job to pass by time and love the drama and confusing then this will be the place.

Cons

-You are lied to about almost everything.
    -The inexperience coaches that think they know what they are doing.
    - The managers OMG some of them is all about self.
    -It's a you do what I say or you are out the door.
    -The systems and tools really sucks and don't work half of the time.
    -The AT&T Uverse Project is not a good one to be hired to because of all the confusing and the lies that are being told and you can't get a straight answer from no one in management.

Not what I was told

Former Employee - Technical Support
    Former Employee - Technical Support

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, benefits, there is some support (if you are lucky), working from home so no gas money needed

Cons

do not expect to have all the support you need; begged for help for months and could not get t; had a coach who did not know how to use the tools themselves; when trying to find a manager, be prepared to call multiple ones and still be sent on a runaround; very high turnover and favoritism plays a major role in getting promotions

treat people fairly; give opportunity to your employees equally, not on personal feelings; be consistent and organized and not make decisions on the fly; be reachable an approachable; stop making your employees scared to reach out by intimidation

Incredibly disappointing

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Sutherland Global Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's work from home, the training is paid (though at a lower rate) and you have the potential for more hours.

Cons

I was offered a position with the Cox division doing their customer service. However, even before I started, I was disappointed because I was told by one person that training would be from 1p-9:30p. A day or two before training began, I was informed in an email that it would actually be from 11a-7:30pm. The fact that the training for a PART-TIME job was full-time for over a month was bad enough, but the change in hours made it even more difficult to try to have any other employment.

The training itself was bogus. We spent more than half of the training time (three weeks of actual training - one in nesting) on how to sell services and how to empathize with the customer (shouldn't someone who has had ANY customer contact know how to empathize with the customer??). However, I will say that the trainer herself was patient despite the fact that there were so many software/hardware issues because apparently Sutherland doesn't bother screening people for basic PC knowledge or any type of listening ability so people had to be coached on simple tasks and instructions had to be repeated multiple times.

During the four week training, multiple emails came out requiring overtime - at one point, two hours each workday were required AND two hours on each of your days off. From what I heard, they tout flexibility, but they want YOU to be flexible. Multiple emails came out during the day/evening with sales numbers and pushed the reps to make more sales. The spiffs for the sales were not that great either. The pay is really low - apparently significantly lower than what Cox pays their employees to do the same job.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when they told us that the schedules we would be offered would be FULL-TIME (despite being hired for part-time) and that if we wanted part-time hours, we would have to request them. It might be okay for some people, but not for me.

Streamline training and focus more on operating the software than common sense subjects like empathy and how to talk to people that should be a given for anyone who has had any customer contact. Focus on service over sales and increase pay.

Sutherland is alright, it's ATT that's Hell

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You work from home......that's really it. You communicate with coaches and managers through instant messenger.

Cons

AT&T Uverse it the worst, that's who i was contracted to. My first two coaches were great, but the last one was to much of a micro manager. Every Time I signed on, I get a message from her to talk. It was a little intimidating. low pay, I understand it's because its at home, but call center work is stressful.
    Training was fun, but nesting was very unorganized. I was last to get on calls then I was thrown out to the sharks.
    Schedules change on a monthly basis.

Tell some of your coaches to relax! I would not recommend this company to anyone if ATT is a client.

Sutherland Global Services Photos