www.sutherlandglobal.com

Updated October 18, 2014
2.9

Sutherland Global Services Chairman and CEO Dilip R. Vellodi
Dilip R. Vellodi

Pros
  • You work from home, you can communicate with coaches and managers through a messenger (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, freedom to explore imagination and creativity (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is depends upon project you are working on (in 10 reviews)

• low pay, I understand it's because its at home, but call center work is stressful (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Its ok

Current Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, LA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, LA

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay and hours are good

Cons

The people and different management can stress you out.

Overall it was a great experience with great minds working together to provide the best-possible customer solutions.

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time

Pros

Genuinely care about the employees and plenty of opportunity for growth, personal and professional.

Cons

At the higher levels there was a tendency to get bogged down in meetings.

Keep doing what you are doing but also make sure that you give your directors and above the adequate amount of time needed to spend time with the teams where the rubber meets the road.

Terrible

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay
     Sadly that's it

Cons

Unfair MGMT
    Discrimination
    Biased
    Messy and Loud Environment

The place is highly hostile, and too many people unfairly get special treatment. Too sexually perverse.

cssg

Former Employee - Cssg in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Cssg in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the people I suffered with daily, co workers..... thats it.

Cons

lied to from the very start. Interniew said I would be working for Liberty Mutual and Actually (represented) Met Life.. Met Life is a good omany and should distance themselves from Sutherland before they manage to ruin their credibilty. I think many of the current and prior employees have solid grounds to file a class action lawsuit. I'm all in if they do. human resources and my manager misrepresented paperwork, divulged personal medical inofrmation to co workers and just out right lied to cover their rear ends. as low as low can get. yea it is a pay check, I would rather starve. RUN RUN RUN AWAY there isnt enough room to even start to touch on all the negatives. Personally I have better things to do. Worst place I have ever encountered for a job. Pretty on the outside but whats inside is very very ugly. Met Life would be wise to cut all ties to Sutherland is a pig in lipstick

I'm a christian and can't say . Use your imagination.

Former Employee - AOL Premium Support Consultant in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - AOL Premium Support Consultant in Rochester, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ok hours, some nice people

Cons

Low Pay, Poor environment, not very nice people, call center, was lied to in interview. $11 /hour is pretty high pay for this company

Complete dis-function at the top; don't join no matter what

Current Employee - Vice President in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some very capable leaders in the company across operations, industry leadership, client services, etc

Cons

There is only one opinion that matters in this dictatorship. Ego-centric and passive aggressive like you have never seen in your life.
    Very unprofessional behavior at the top of the house.
    Executive turnover has been high and for good reason - people don't appreciate being treated unprofessionally at this level or any other. Public berating of senior leaders with 20+ years of experience on conference calls? No reason for this.
    Here is a new one: the periodic management meeting (senior team plus 100+ others from all over the company) happening now is scheduled on India time solely because the CEO is traveling there. So the US team has to stay up all night presenting...and a good portion of the India team works US hours so it inconvenient for them as well. So much for putting clients first.

Wake up - when this many strong people leave the company, maybe its time for the leader to admit that he might be the problem .

Its a job

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative - Stubhub in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative - Stubhub in Rochester, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They hire anyone, and have decent benefits after 6 months. Theres advancement opportunity.

Cons

They hire anyone, and the pay isnt great. They talk up commission aspects of different programs to tell you how much you can make, when they take every opportunity they can to screw you on your commission payout. The HR department is useless. HR issues such as sexual harassment and racism in the workplace are talked up and dismissed, people who go to HR over members of management have gotten fired. Huge turnover rate.

Be a little more selective about the people you hire, and you'll have a lighter turnover rate. Get a human resources department that actual does their job.

Hostile work environment ... Sweat-shop style

Former Employee - Insurance Consultant in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Insurance Consultant in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The other consultants like myself, were very nice and I made some really good friends. We backed each other up. Opportunity to obtain licenses in all 50 states, and gain knowledge of property and casualty nuances per state.

Cons

Sweat-Shop work environment and managers that did not know product. Would ask question and get different answers on how to proceed (would call MetLife and they would say one thing and Sutherland would say another) Most of the time you didn't get the correct answer to your question. It made you never know what to do. There is no focus on the quality of work produced, only on number of sales. It was "sell those policies" "sell" "sell" "sell". Office morale is very low because of all of this. New hires are getting paid more than original hires in my opinion because that will keep people there longer and they will put up with more of this badgering environment. Majority of agents are on performance improvement plans, with the threat of termination every month. Forget getting a decent bonus - that won't happen because of what they call quality scores. Quality scores are rediculous. If you don't say something in the script you get points off; if you are silent too long, if you sneeze on the phone, if you do anything that can be picked on, your bonus is chopped away till there is none. I remember a managers saying they would give people a 10% raise to work on Sundays and said "Well, you were complaining that you wanted to make more money." I was thinking, "Yeah, we were talking about our rightful bonus for selling certain amounts of insurance." You could sell $70,000 in one month, but if your quality score wasn't good (according to them), your bonus was cut until you didn't get one. I have seen 2 people do quality checks and come up with totally different scores. How can that be used for a determination in something important as commission pay. If you sell insurance, you should be able to make decent commissions for your sales. No one can work like that. If there is bad weather (snow like this year), if you don't come in you get a point for not coming in (up to 6 points, you're terminated). I saw it take one person over 2 hours to get home in a snowstorm because they did not want to "get a point". Points are used to control and ways to threaten. "Well, if you do that, you'll get a point and you won't be eligible for any personal time off that is built up." I guess they figure it will keep people in line. You are constantly threatened with having to pay the company back for your licensing in all states ($6,200) if you leave in the first year. We started out with about 70 people and that dwindled down to about 30-40 in just over a month. People just started walking out literally. I really can't blame them; you can only put up with this for so long. Now it is mass training to get the number of consultants back up so they can make their numbers. Management is puzzled as to why the rate of attrition is so high. How could they not know with people just walking out and not coming back? That to me would mean people are not happy at all and changes needed to be made somewhere.

Make sure you know the product that is being sold so you can properly answer questions from consultants and guide them in the right direction. Just because managers go through training doesn't mean they know the answers to be able to be an example and promote the sale of the product. Agents have trouble selling because there are too many negatives in this environment and managers that don't have a clue themselves for the most part.

Great place to work! Friendly staff and management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sutherland Global Services part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to start a new career path, if you don't have a lot of work experience.

Cons

Compensation tends to be on the lower end of the salary scale.

Listen to your support staff more. Add more performance incentives.

Exciting

Current Employee - Associate Processor in Sunrise, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Processor in Sunrise, FL

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wide array of positions, alway something new and different.

Cons

Far for some and wish they had work from home

Listen