Sutherland Global Services

Updated October 29, 2014
2.9

Sutherland Global Services Chairman and CEO Dilip R. Vellodi
Dilip R. Vellodi

Pros
  • You work from home, you can communicate with coaches and managers through a messenger (in 21 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, freedom to explore imagination and creativity (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is depends upon project you are working on (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay - I was hired to do technical support (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Management

Former Employee - Team Manager in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Health Care, Opportunity for Advancement, Management Training Program, Promote From Within

Cons

Hours, Salary, Turnover of personnel

Pay better for the work and hours you make your employees work.

Steady work, but there was too much moving around within the facility.

Former Employee - Chat Associate in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Chat Associate in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady work with some choice in shifts
    Offered a new assignment when old ones ended.
    Good training programs and post training support.

Cons

Did not like being moved from area to area every few weeks. Work areas were too noisy due to several boomboxes brought in by management.
    Client kept changing its policies, sometimes doing a complete about-face on some issues.
    Too many metrics and too much time spent discussing metrics.

Bring back free coffee
    Get rid of the boom boxes.

Good "Stepping Stone" Job. Not A Career.

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Some good people to work with.
    -Jeans months.
    -Fairly laid back environment.
    - Time off, if you need some time off, weather it leave early (if they can afford it that day), come in late, or need a day off, if you tell them early enough, their usually pretty good about it.

-And just to add a personal Pro, I just put in my two weeks yesterday.

Cons

-Benefits, I have NEVER worked for a company that charged you company cost (about $111) for medical insurance every other week. It's not even at any kind of a discount. Also, their 401K is a joke, the employer doesn't even contribute to it at all, and it barely gets invested. I've worked there just over a year and only have $400 in it, that's not right at all.
    -Pay, at $10 an hour starting off, with the verbal abuse you get from customers and managers, it's just not worth it.
    -Managers, now, I can't say this is all managers, but some are very "clicky" with each other. When I am in LEAD (manager) training, and have been the #1 salesman on my program for going on 8 months in a row, and are not offered any kind of a promotion, and they are hiring managers from other programs or people off the street, that's not right at all.
    -Co-Workers, like I said about the managers, I can't say this about everyone, but the quality of their hiring is down right disgusting. I've been told by several managers, that if you can read and write english and have a pulse, you're hired. One manager even said if he sticks a mirror under your nose and it fogs up, you're hired (saying you're alive).
    -Parking, they make you park about 4-5 blocks away at the OnCenter lot and walk, was not fun in the winter, especially last winter when it was -16 some of the mornings.
    -Security, now there is a security guard in some of the programs, what is all fine and good, but when I hear one of my former co-workers gets robbed right in the building where we're located, and even someone shot off a gun, that doesn't make me feel to safe, that might just be me.
    -The So Called "Drug Test" They Give, when they say you're hired, which is usually the same day of your interview, you are told you're gonna take a drug test, what I was fine with, and found out it's a BS mouth swab, what I find out if you don't smoke for about two days, you pass fine. Ya, quality standards there.

-Hire more "quality employees", maybe they'll stick around longer.
    -Piss test people, stop the mouth swab, I guarantee half if not more of the people there do drugs, and some go to work high.
    -And not to be a racist, but bring more American values to the company, the company is from western NY after all.

decent place to work.

Current Employee - In Bound Sales in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - In Bound Sales in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay, guaranteed 40 hrs a week, they will work with you to help find a schedule that will fit your needs. PTO starts accumulating after the first 90 days so you have some time of available in the first year working there. If the program is not a right fit they give you other opportunities within the company

Cons

they hire anyone, some of the shifts are late depending on the program (which didnt fit my lifestyle)

Good company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Base hourly pay for everyone, even sales reps. Great incentive plans for good performance, not all just from sales.

Cons

At times the managers could get very pushy when it came to sales. This is because it came down their head if their team didn't make enough sales.

Loosen up a bit and you will get more sales

My experience at Sutherland Global Service was very outstanding and I enjoyed being a part of the team.

Former Employee - Turbo Tax Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Turbo Tax Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

THe pro s were that I met and got along with many people in the same situation as I and the perks that Sutherland offered to its employees helped with not being too competitive but being more friendly and compassionate to others.

Cons

Thecons were that even though I was only there for a short time, I enjoyed the benefits that were offered to me as an employee.

The upper management was very commendable, kind and were very open and compassionate toward others. THey are very kind hearted and loveing people that were not just supervisors but went above and beyond for its employees and treated people equally and with much respect.

Just another call center job.

Former Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They give you the job on the spot. You can learn how to deal with any type of customer.

Cons

You don't have a life, and it is hard to get a promotion. Not a lot of benefits. Work EVERY holiday.

Employees are humans not machines.

Sutherland Global Services Response

Jun 20, 2014Sourcing Solutions Specialist

You are correct, employees are not machines, they’re much better! People are our business, and our business thrives because of our people. Each and every employee brings their own unique value to ... More

Great job for someone looking to start a career path.

Former Employee - AT&T Click to Chat in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - AT&T Click to Chat in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work at Sutherland Global Services for nearly 10 months. I gained a lot of customer service experience in a short amount of time. There is weekly team meeting, coaching and additional training. I did leave them for another call center due to the pay and benefits. Without working at Sutherland Global Services I am not sure I would have made it this far.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working here is the high pressure and stress that comes from a customer service job. There is no 401K match or Pension and the pay cam be better for the amount of work that is required.

Match your employees on what they contribute to the 401K plan, Clean the call center and upgrade the cubicles.

Sutherland Global Services Response

Jun 24, 2014Sourcing Solutions Specialist

Thank you for your review, and we appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your thoughts on Sutherland. Some of your points really caught my eye, and it is nice to see you were able to gain some ... More

Unprofessional work environment with low pay and poor benefits

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You receive dental insurance at a reasonable rate. Medical insurance is overpriced and the employer should pay more than half.

Cons

Management bullies and threatens you. Pay is very little for the abuse we endure. I have been working for the company for over a year and have PTO accrued but management won't let me use it.

If you want more dedicated and loyal employees, pay them adequately for what they do. At this point I would rather get fired and receive unemployment than work here any longer, but they just won't fire me. Apparently you need to get written up 7 times to get fired.

Gaint telemarketing company

Former Employee - TurboTax Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - TurboTax Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hours Varied from one day to the next. It was based on call volume. Some days there for 12 hours or more other days 2 hours.

Cons

Gaint rooms filled with phone banks. Could not hear the customer on the line. Very little training also management to employee ratio very high.

Increase training and adjust enviroment

Sutherland Global Services Photos