Sutherland Global Services

Reset
2.6
Sutherland Global Services Chairman and CEO Dilip R. Vellodi
Dilip R. Vellodi

Pros
  • The ability to work from home was definitely a pro (in 21 reviews)

• The work environment as a company is very good (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is depends upon project you are working on (in 10 reviews)

• low pay, I understand it's because its at home, but call center work is stressful (in 10 reviews)

1. Online AT&T Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Online Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Online Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loving to end a chat session with a satisfied customer.

Cons

To many systems to work with in between 2 chat calls.

Advice to Management

Less systems to work with would be very helpful.

2. Customer Service Rep

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned world class customer service skills. It was great working with others and helping people with issues that are upset it fells good that I have the power an skill to defuse an irate customer. I got to experience the skill of sales its a great job.

Cons

Sometimes you get overwhelmed with customers and co workers. The management could of used better people but Sutherland was a great experience.

3. Overall Not a bad company

Former Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services

Pros

There's always an opportunity for overtime!

Cons

The characters of people that they hire. They hire just anyone to work here!

Advice to Management

Divide people more. It get gets too crowded

Commission is a carrot

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Regular hours, entry level, builds good CS skills and habits if you have a good team leader who coaches you. Overtime and commission available. Health and 401k also

Cons

Every month is a new "contract" for commission. They change the rules and make it very hard to make commission. Personally I made comm every month I was there, but only 1/2 comm due to having to miss a day of work once a month (I have 3 kids so sickness happens). Everything is based off of metrics and conversion rates and customer surveys. At least in my program it was. On average I made base pay of 10/hr plus $80-90 comm a month. Bi weekly pay of $650 take home after taxes. That's not paying for health which is $200ish a paycheck for single coverage. You aren't eligible for it until you have 6 months with company. Same goes for vaca.

I rated 3/5 stars because of my team leader. Team Honeybadger was a pleasure to work for. I worked for my team leader not the upper management. They are disconnected from the floor.

Advice to Management

Make comm more attainable and be flexible for workers with family. We have to dance for your ever changing demands, as well as the client's. You could at least be understanding when we have to leave because daycare called.

6. AT&T Click To Chat

I worked at Sutherland Global Services

Pros

Can't think of one other than it was a short drive for me at the time

Cons

Dealing with miserable clients all day
    Listening to managers discuss how terrible the workers are when they're half the problem
    Not paid enough

Advice to Management

Get new management that cares

7. Try to do better.

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay above minimum wage.
    Often hire full time. Some programs frequently allow overtime.
    Depending on program, work may not be difficult.
    Will hire as Equal Opportunity Employer.

Cons

Pay will often be much lower than other places in industry for same work.
    Many positions have inconvenient scheduling.
    Training for all positions is sub-standard.
    Work metrics (standards measuring work 'quality') are often unreasonable.
    Do not promote as Equal Opportunity Employer, nor protect workers in regard to contractees acting in defiance of that standard

I've worked at Sutherland twice, in two different programs- the second time a cubicle away from third program, making friends in both- as well as having a friend in another. My job also kept me in contact with employees in my program at another Sutherland site. I recommend if you work here- keep looking for better. The worst thing about this employer is for most (whether they know it yet or not) is that it's not 'bad enough' to run away from- so you can think comfortably 'if you work hard that there is a future here'. Don't think that. Do the math. Your work is unexceptional, and positions for advancement are both few and likely temporary anyway.
    I have never heard of anyone getting a raise here without a promotion. Promotions are given rarely- and given according to seniority more often than skill- but more likely just favoritism. Promotions do frequently come with minimal raises- but the extra workload/expectations that I've seen come with it don't make it worth it. The more frequent standard is that the workers individual skills/merits are ignored- and when not ignored they're often exploited, ruining minimum expectations for other employees. Some programs (commission based) have a lot of stress due to in-fighting, client stealing and backstabbing- which management overlooks. In no regard will your strengths work in your favor if an important customer complaint comes in (metrics don't care about context)- and you often have multiple bosses (both in Sutherland, AND with the contractee) who can (and occasionally do) fire employees without warning or review.
    Due to the fact that program management are mostly minimally trained (internally promoted) employees, the management chain has an incredible lack of professionalism. It varies in quality widely by program and manager- but the general issues are managers who do little, play favorites, or choose employees to 'watch over'- then fire when they make a mistake (the same 'mistake' others are forgiven for). I've even seen employees have their good performance metrics ignored in favor of lower performers for things as petty as awards- so even basic math can be overlooked by these guys.
    Also, if you intend to work there, don't expect much from their 'open door policy'- or any of their 'standards' of integrity, etc. That's just for the ground troops.
    There is no true stability at this job unless you work for the actual Sutherland office. Your job lasts as long as the program contract exists (at best). When it ends the employees will be summarily discharged with minimal notice (0-2 days), and only once did I hear of Sutherland offering a new position (it was work-at-home, so buy a PC, pay for internet, and THEN take a pay cut)- but I suppose it was better than nothing... No, wait- that program was offered since they fired the US workers and replaced them with recently trained India workers, and wanted to avoid a penalty. To add insult to injury, the India workers were trained in about 2 weeks by workers from the US who were flown there. They had the team leaders train their replacements.
    This place...

Pay your bills, find better, get out.

Advice to Management

People are humans, not just cogs in your machine.

8. Not so good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The awards were a bonus and plus

Cons

They only care about management

Advice to Management

Believe more in your employees

9. Customer service Rep.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services

Pros

Not bad,good commission, great job for career starter

Cons

Unorganized management , should hire someone with experience

Advice to Management

Should hire people with experience in management

10. Reviewing customers bills, answering questions regarding phone bills, ordering devices

I worked at Sutherland Global Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hour lunches, can listen to music while chatting with customers online

Cons

The schedules were horrible. It would be months before you could have the schedule you want. I use to work until 3am and there were no ways to change it. Completely unprofessional it was like being back in high school. Managers did not act like managers they acted like children. Even if I was jobless for almost a year and I could be rehired I still wouldn't go back. They hire anyone literally. Absolutely hated it.

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually want to be managers and are mature enough to take on the jobm

11. Meh

Current Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Sutherland Global Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full time, some overtime, Vacation time (Only HUGE perk)

Cons

Easily forgotten
    Management is very snooty (snotty?)

Advice to Management

Keep your agents busy and engaged

RSS Feed </> Embed