Sutherland Lumber Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Steve Scott

1. Good place to start out.

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at Sutherland Lumber full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual, tight knit environment; managers actually cared about the employees; felt like you were part of team vs just a peon.

Cons

I was given basically no training when I was hired (though I think this has changed); Sometimes felt oppressive with managers always over your shoulder; starting salary is lower than at other, similar, stores; employees and managers always seemed to have trouble staying in their assigned departments, although this may simply be the reality of working at a smallish retail store; almost no money, it seemed, was allocated to maintaining equipment such as the forklifts and delivery trucks.

Advice to Management

Spend a little more money on employees and equipment and give your employees a little more breathing room.

You need a thick skin

Former Employee - Office Man
    Former Employee - Office Man

I worked at Sutherland Lumber full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They pay money (sometimes on-time). If you are a heterosexual male, and like dirty, racist, or sexist jokes, you're in the right place.

Cons

I don't quite no where to start, anything I say here, will not do it justice. Safety third might be giving them too much credit. I worked there for 8 years, never certified to drive a forklift, but I was told to hop on one from day one. We were pushed by management into very dangerous circumstances through berating and questioning of our manhood. Pay and advancement is not well balanced. I worked my way up to 'Office MAN', I guess kind of like an assistant manager position, but with no true title. I was put on salary with a raise, but pay changed to being paid twice monthly, and the 'raise' was canceled out by the loss in those wonderful 3 week pay checks that everyone so desperately needed to justify working there and pay rent. The district managers were located halfway across the country, and entered like Emperor Palpatine visiting the Death Star twice a year to strike fear, not comradery, in their slaves, or anytime they felt like playing musical chairs with management to keep all of the employees guessing.

Advice to Management

Truly standardize your business. Develop zero tolerance rules for management, not just lowly employees. Implement sensitivity training whenever unacceptable behavior persists, instead of giving sexual harassers promotions to remove them from the mess they created.

3. RUN!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Raytown, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Raytown, MO

I have been working at Sutherland Lumber

Pros

sometimes flexible schedules and nice closing hours.

Cons

Racist. Sexist. They give men the floor sales jobs and women the cashier jobs.

Advice to Management

Need to care more about employees and customers. This company is extremely lazy

5. Family Fun

I have been working at Sutherland Lumber full-time

Pros

Its like one big family, easy going

Cons

splinters, concrete floors, no set schedule, old equipment

6. Unfair

Former Employee - Cashier in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Sutherland Lumber part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job. The owner came in and he was nice. Most of the other cashiers their were nice. Less rules than other places. Didn't care if you were late.

Cons

No store manager, rude assistant managers. Schedule was always messed up. Low pay. I got fired when I told them I got a 2nd job.

Advice to Management

Put somebody fair in charge of the store. It was unfair when the district managers son was allowed to take $30 lunch money out of the register everyday, and the rest of us were left out. Treat everyone the same, no free lunches unless its for everyone.

7. Stay clear if you want to succeed.

Former Employee - Laborer in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Laborer in Wichita, KS

I worked at Sutherland Lumber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have firearms to shoot the birds in the yard, and gatekeepers who will turn the other way for a price.

Cons

Low pay, no advancement, staff lie like its religion. Mostly, they do NOT care about customers.

Advice to Management

Advance team members, not just yourselves. And give a crap about your employees, outside ones as well.

8. Great family friendly workplace

Former Employee - Sales in Marble Falls, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Marble Falls, TX

I worked at Sutherland Lumber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay and good benefits

Cons

Hate working weekends and holidays

9. Wonderful

Former Employee - Cashier in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Sutherland Lumber full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Great environment, Treated like family

Cons

Rude Customers only 30 minute lunch on sundays

Advice to Management

Nothing Everything was great

Run Away!

I worked at Sutherland Lumber full-time

Pros

Chance to work with Windows 95 and live animals!

Cons

What to say about Cherokee Advertising, Sutherlands in house ad agency? Do I open with each working space surrounded by years of hoarding and filth? Or do I lead with both live and dead roaches and rodents in the kitchen and bathroom? I can't decide. Ill just leave you with the added bonus of working with constant racial and homosexual slurs in the most hostile work environment Sutherlands has to offer.

Advice to Management

Close the department and freelance your pubs.

Very poor company to work for, no leadership skills.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

I worked at Sutherland Lumber full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Paid vacation opportunities in full time employment, health benefits available

Cons

Very poor leadership: negative attitude in management, open discrimination and harassment, unmotivated to set any type of real accomplishments within the stores productivity. Management lacks people skill and professionalism.

Stays well under staffed, over work full time employees, under paid. There is no life balance and minimal family time if you work for this company. It is family owned, but not family oriented.

Very expensive health benefits.

The store in it self does not stay kept up to date or maintained for longevity. Employees run short on supplies or equipment that affects the operations of duties.

Part time employees are drastically cut by hours during the fall and winter months. Budgets are always a primary concern vs. customer service. The hours given of part time employees are not evenly dispensed during these times. It is 'pick and choose'.
    When customers cannot find help in the store, a daily occurance, customers get upset and walk out very often dropping merchandise at their feet. There are no corrections made (schedules, staff, team work) to provide more efficient customer service.

The store does not stay staffed in a way to effectively do the job without injury or prolonged injuries of your knees, back and body. There are very, very, very few GENTLEMAN that would help women with loading tile, appliances, and other heavy duty loads.

Advice to Management

Investigate for open discrimination and harassment. Be more selective with individuals you choose to take lead role in the management position. There is no drive from the current leads for efficient store production or drive to keep dedicated, motivated, long term staff.

A diverse knowledge of home improvement lacks throughout the store.

Set forth POLICIES and follow through. There is minimal structure and instruction.

RSS Feed </> Embed