Sutter Health

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sutter Health President and CEO Pat Fry

Pat Fry

Pros:
  • "Nice people to work with and you get the opportunity to meet many diverse patients"
    in 5 reviews
  • "They still have a pretty good benefits package"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management shows no appreciation of staff, work load unbalanced"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Poor communication and lone ranger mentality"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Office Staff - SPMF, San Francisco

Office Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time for more than a year

ProsHealth benefits are fantastic; location for public transportation is good and free shuttle service between locations. Co-workers are helpful and easy to work with.

ConsUpper management shows no appreciation of staff, work load unbalanced. Preferential treatment shown to some. Some staff are located in cramped too small cubicles. Moral very low. Poor communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little staff appreciation goes a long way...... Get to know who your employees are, we are there in the office you just don't seem to see us. Do you know our names or what we really do? Make an effort to find out, your company doesn't run without us. There is a reason so many people are jumping ship. Have a monthly lunch, raffle gift cards.....employees that feel somebody cares are much happier workers...even putting in the effort to pretend you care works.

Diverse environment requiring many skills

Database Administrator III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time for more than a year

ProsMultiple skills are encouraged. Very challenging environment. Knowledgable peers.

ConsCompensation and advancement opportunities are lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate and revise compensation in order to retain key performers and to be able to hire top flight talent for this very diverse and demanding environment.

Data centef operations manager

Data Center Ops Manager (Current Employee)
Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTop health csre organization in california

ConsIs not a national organizatin

Ok but could be great

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat and supportive staff - they make your job easier.
Non-witch hunt mentality
Flexibility in work day
The work itself is rewarding.
Initial PTO is pretty good

ConsLower compensation.
No increase in PTO
Non-union environment means nurses don't really have a voice.
These guys are cheap - penny wise and pound foolish.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you've had high turnover, and nearly everyone is telling you the same things, maybe there's something behind it.

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I worked at Sutter Health full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture, great benefits, they really care about employees and patients.

ConsCorporate office is located in Sacramento.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider more remote working options.

Ethical Company

Accountant (Current Employee)
Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time for more than a year

ProsAs an accountant, we're taught in college to do what's right, because the public needs to be able to rely on our financial statements. Some companies will require you to be "flexible" with the business, which means various shades of gray and sometimes leading to scandals like Enron. What I like best about SH accounting is that management WANTS to you book the correct things. And we're continuously encouraged to voice opinions if we think someething is wrong. The team is lean, you work a lot, but the trade off is, the politicking is minimal.

ConsWork can be unevenly distributed. This place is full of workhorses, including management, so if you're overwhelmed, it's important you're vocal about it. If you say something, they'll do something about it. But if you stay quiet, no one's going to come to your rescue.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend them look more closely at individuals and their contributions. Some people work less than 40 a week while others have to work 50 a week.

A fantastic learning experience with on the job training and great people to work with

EHR Implentation Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sutter Health full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat company with an excellent work environment and a very diverse staff. Compensation is towards the top tier and there is plenty of room for growth.

ConsNot many, sometimes you have to wear hats you don't necessarily want to but that is the case in most jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould have loved the opportunity to perform the duties beyond my contract but the economy tightened the budget causing many layoffs to good people.

Worst place ever

Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee)
Davis, CA

I worked at Sutter Health full-time for less than a year

ProsThe recruiters do a great job at attracting you to a position and screening information about you and whether you would be the right fit.

ConsI had different recruiters from different areas calling about the same time. Poor organization techniques. Anyway, this place is a hot mess. Managers overlook the cliques and do not discipline poor behavior. New blood to the organization is not always acceptable. They need more tactical and better training programs. Just because someone knows what it is and how its done; does not always mean the situation is always going to be the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better training mechanisms. Other organizations are thriving with training modules. Skip the pencil and paper for technology driven platforms...please!! It will help with retention and control your budget.

Best Healthcare Employer in Northern California

Support Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sutter Health

ProsGreat benefits. Highly dedicated empolees. Committed to improving heathcare affordability.

ConsStill struggling with IHN structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpportunity for upward advancement is lacking in some job classifications. No clear career path.

A Hot Mess

Electronic Medical Record Team Member (Former Employee)

I worked at Sutter Health

ProsGood benefit package, located in the beautiful city of San Francisco, good healthcare providers, good co-workers. Shuttle service provided for travel throughout San Francisco.

ConsChaotic. Very poor leadership. Poorly thought through strategies for IT implementation that in the end impacts the providers and patients. Extremely competitive workplace- very little collaboration. Rigid rules. No room for creativity or out of the box thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down. It's better to do something right than quickly. Respect your employees as individuals. Focus less on your project plan and more on what's really happening.

Worked for Sutter Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sutter Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sutter Health CEO Pat Fry. All 85 reviews posted anonymously by Sutter Health employees.