Sutter Health

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sutter Health President and CEO Pat Fry

Pat Fry

Pros
  • Great benefits and if you are with the right group can be a rewarding experience(in 10 reviews)

• They still have a pretty good benefits package(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management shows no appreciation of staff, work load unbalanced(in 9 reviews)

• Decision-making can be agonizingly slow(in 3 reviews)

Working here was like walking into a snake pit every morning.

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsIts a great place IF and that's a bit IF you are within the Golden Circle. If not, management will make your life a living hell. The "Pro" is only if you are in that Golden Circle.

ConsWay too many to list, however - lack of communication and clear direction is a huge problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your stated business culture a reality. Don't just talk the talk - walk the walk and provide beneficial guidance for specific projects to employees. They cannot know what you want by osmosis.

Laid off after nearly 30 years due to our new National Healthcare Initiative.

Office (Former Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsSalary, health insurance, paid time off, vision, dental, however they are cutting these. Management used to be good before Sutter took over.

ConsOutsourcing every thing possible and consolidating hundreds of office support jobs to one center for all Sutter Health affiliated hospitals and medical groups, HIM, accounting, HR, EAP. Hundreds have beeb laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit thinking only about your own pocketbooks. You have left a lot of people out on the streets.

Sutter Health - Technical Services

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Mather, CA

ProsSutter Health medical practitioners are first rate. Hopefully dependance on Information Technology will not detract from their ability to provide good care, because Sutter Health Information Services is a tremendously immature organization.

ConsProject Managers were placed into highly volatile positions, expected to represent the interests of Servcie Line Management. That's normal and definitely not the problem. The Management would hide behind the Project Managers. On occasions when the other Service Lines would push back (which they do, because senior leadership does nothing to facilitate their effectively working together) and while the Project Manager was doing exactly as directed, the Management would play dumb and throw the Project Manager to the wolves. This is compounded by Sutter Health insisting on underpaying resources (employees and contractors). The talented ones leave for greener pastures, while the rest are promoted into more senior roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a moment to spend some time with the Management from the other Service Lines, genuinely collaborating with them to successfully provide services that benefit the organization as a whole. Work with the Service Lines to understand and anticipate their needs. You spend way too much effort being reactive. Try to be proactive for a change. Learn to quickly make a decision and stand by it. Stop hiding in the trenches and expending all your effort to defray responsibility. Lastly, hire and promote managers that actually have a clue how to manage resources and hold them accountable to deliver results.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the employer of choice anymore.

SHSS (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsThe only pro that I can think of is that there are some amazing people that are employed at Sutter Health that are very dedicated.

ConsSutter Health is just like any other low grade 3rd world business. They continue to take from their loyal employees. Currently relocating which means a further drive for a lot of the employees. Discontinuing longevity bonuses, raising the cost of medical benefits and reducing yearly raise percentage by a whole percent. So for example if you are doing your job up to their standard you would only get a 2% raise, this isn't even a cost of living raise. Sutter used to pride themselves as the Employer of Choice. Can't say that I would label them as that anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your loyal employees.

Office Staff - SPMF, San Francisco

Office Staff (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHealth benefits are fantastic; location for public transportation is good and free shuttle service between locations. Co-workers are helpful and easy to work with.

ConsUpper management shows no appreciation of staff, work load unbalanced. Preferential treatment shown to some. Some staff are located in cramped too small cubicles. Moral very low. Poor communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little staff appreciation goes a long way...... Get to know who your employees are, we are there in the office you just don't seem to see us. Do you know our names or what we really do? Make an effort to find out, your company doesn't run without us. There is a reason so many people are jumping ship. Have a monthly lunch, raffle gift cards.....employees that feel somebody cares are much happier workers...even putting in the effort to pretend you care works.

Not everyone is created equally

EHR Imlementation (Former Employee)

ProsSome very nice people work at Sutter

ConsLoyalty at Sutter is very unidirectional.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some respect for your employees,

Too much politics

ProsGood Benefits
    decent potential for growth

ConsThe company is run by assistants rather than the leadership team. People are fired on the basis of what the assistants have to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a back bone. Quit letting your assistants tell you who should be fired/hired.

Worst place ever

Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsThe recruiters do a great job at attracting you to a position and screening information about you and whether you would be the right fit.

ConsI had different recruiters from different areas calling about the same time. Poor organization techniques. Anyway, this place is a hot mess. Managers overlook the cliques and do not discipline poor behavior. New blood to the organization is not always acceptable. They need more tactical and better training programs. Just because someone knows what it is and how its done; does not always mean the situation is always going to be the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better training mechanisms. Other organizations are thriving with training modules. Skip the pencil and paper for technology driven platforms...please!! It will help with retention and control your budget.

A Hot Mess

Electronic Medical Record Team Member (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood benefit package, located in the beautiful city of San Francisco, good healthcare providers, good co-workers. Shuttle service provided for travel throughout San Francisco.

ConsChaotic. Very poor leadership. Poorly thought through strategies for IT implementation that in the end impacts the providers and patients. Extremely competitive workplace- very little collaboration. Rigid rules. No room for creativity or out of the box thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down. It's better to do something right than quickly. Respect your employees as individuals. Focus less on your project plan and more on what's really happening.

Lacks Potential

(Current Employee)

ProsIt's a job in this economy. Better a job than none. Initially viewed the organization as progressive and one to work for. Very much an old boy club with a few woman managers who are not yes people.

ConsOverall, I came to this organization because of it's compassion but, it lacks luster and has gone done substantially since my employment. Now, we're embarking on another potential mass layoff of employees. The organization does not appreciate an open dialogue with staff. Some of the leadership view any dissent agreement to as negative. Staff experiences repercussions for speaking up if it does coincide with the mandate from senior leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementSeparate performance reviews from the financials. Value employee input. Disengage from the militaristic policy of the enterprise rules.

Worked for Sutter Health? Contribute to the Community!