www.sutterhealth.org

Updated December 20, 2014
3.6

Sutter Health President and CEO Pat Fry
Pat Fry

Pros
  • Great benefits and if you are with the right group can be a rewarding experience (in 13 reviews)

• They still have a pretty good benefits package (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management shows no appreciation of staff, work load unbalanced (in 9 reviews)

• SMF is currently losing lots of senior management staff due to frustration of not being able to effectively make change (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Roseville, CA

I worked at Sutter Health as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They are a fair company and they have a lot to offer. Many opportunities with a variety of experience levels. Get your foot in the oor and you'll have a great career ahead of you.

Cons

The hours I wanted to work at Sutter were not available for me to work. I wish they were because I would have jumped at the opportunity to work there as a full time employee.

Shared Services

Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Sutter Health as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot as an intern at Sutter for the past year. I would recommend any Sacramento student that is majoring in accounting or finance.

Cons

The training wasn't that great for interns.

Make the training process easier for the interns you hire.

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sutter Health

Pros

Dedicated team, stellar patient care

Cons

Some challenges with good leaders

Keep us the great work!

Great management

I worked at Sutter Health

Pros

Flexible hours, good working environment

Cons

Long working hours during implementations specially around Christmas/New Year.

Service Desk Support Analyst

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst
    Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst

I worked at Sutter Health as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was able to gain experiance with a vast number of different applications and technologies.

Cons

Very little positive feedback from managers

Taking a high number of calls is not always beneficial. Its whether the number of calls were correctly resolved or addressed during the call that is beneficial.

Difficult to advance

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation after many years is very good. Lots of vacation time and it is easy to use. Flexible hours.

Cons

Lack of training for new hires. Structure values people in Sacramento more than other areas. Lack of clear vision for expectations for team.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, great benefits perks and company values

Cons

Company is really big. Difficult to voice opinions.

Poor management and work/life balance.

I have been working at Sutter Health

Pros

Compensation = fine
    Benefits = pretty good, but could be better

Cons

Sutter is operating very lean due to poor financial performance-- there were many layoffs and they moved to centralizing many business functions in Roseville, CA. Many processes are not running smoothly anymore. This model will take time to fix.

The biggest issue is having very poor work/ life balance. Leadership/ management doesn't care how truly thin we are operating or recognize it in any meaningful manner. Management rarely asks about the challenges we face, but even if they do, they don't attempt to really do anything about it. The answer is work more hours and just get it done... even if it is rushing to get something done just for the sake of crossing something off the annual plan, fully knowing rework will need to occur later. What an incredible waste of time and inefficient way to operate. I understand the importance of trying to measure performance, but clearly, leadership has not caught on that there is a difference between looking like you accomplished something on paper vs. actually accomplishing something. What happened to the idea of doing quality work over quantity? If you like doing quality work the first time to prevent inevitable headaches down the road, this is not the organization for you.

Former Employee - Management in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Sutter Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, nice coworkers, some good training, tries to be patient centered, major employer

Cons

SMF is currently losing lots of senior management staff due to frustration of not being able to effectively make change. Also appears to be some budget woes. Lots of duplications across the systems, aging doctor's and some negative office staff members.

ID top staff members and attempt to keep them

Most Stressful Work Experience of My Career

I worked at Sutter Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Award winning best place to work, the hardest working group of employees ever encountered in 25 years of various organizational experience. Groom and Grow employees, Regional employees are experienced, great resources if you can reach them

Cons

Regional Management and Entity Administrative Management Team do not manage each other up, rather adversarial, toward each other, leaving the managers and employees in the middle of the feud. Total chaos of broken processes due to completely outdated policy and procedures, talk of culture of safety, yet punitive culture. Unethical treatment and lack of appreciation for hard working, dedicated employees in some departments.

Some departments with high turnover for years. Executive regional management has little understanding of staffing requirements needed to complete volumes of work. Promote continuous growth & development, but would never be able to work in management and go to school since expect to employees to work at least 50 hr work week and then restrict use of earned vacation and overtime.

Employees especially managers are not obligated to work over 40 hours. Less work on best workplace awards ect. and more focus on keeping current in regulatory and accreditation processes. Way too many meetings and not enough time to balance projects with day to day job responsibilities.