Sutter Physician Services

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
3.7

Charles Wirth

Like working in a factory without smokestack

Current Employee - Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company tries to create a team atmosphere and for the most part succeeds.
    Some managers are more open to worker input than others.
    None of the managers I met were nasty or mean. Rumor has it that such persons are fired or moved back to a non-manager position.

Cons

Some business practices are old and inflexible. Others are very up-to-date. It really depends on which unit you work for. Must record hours to nearest 15 minutes. Overtime discouraged.

Do not expect past and present success to continue forever.

High performing organization with dedicated and smart employees.

Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong culture that is continuously nurtured and developed.
    Decisions are made collaboratively and, with the employees at heart.
    People here truly care and have passion for the work and passion for purpose.
    Leaders are dedicated to supporting business objectives and goals - all with the client and patient at heart.
    My boss listens to me and truly cares about my well being.

Cons

Work-life-balance.
    Deadlines are sometimes unreasonable - but resources are available, if you know how to ask for them.

FInd ways to continue to reward high performers.
    Differentiate between A, B, and C players during performance reviews. Half a percent or even a whole percent merit increase is not a differentiator.

"A Great Place to Work" isn't just a slogan

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to help others in multitude/have value in what we do
    Company treats employees well (Work-Life balance, rewards,)
    Culture
    Caring/involved leadership- always looking at the employees' and the patients' experiences and where they could improve
    Management works with employees to give/get feedback to improve work
    AWESOME new recreation center
    Relaxation/activity rooms on each floor for breaks/lunches

Cons

Not very flexible schedules, training classes set at fixed times, and lack of career development (must be very proactive about intentions to get promoted)

Invest resources like time and money into career advancement and leadership training.

Great place to Work!

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to grow and develop in your career aspirations. The leadership really listens to concerns and feedback and tries to implement change when possible. Sutter Physician Services has allowed me the flexibility to have a work/life balance and above all else, the people I work with are the best.

Cons

The organization structure is a bit confusing to understand but could be the result of growth and change within the company.

Great company for a career

Current Employee - Assistant Director in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sutter Health is a known brand in Northern California, but is just gaining ground as an employer in Utah. The factor that have made Sutter successful in California are taking root here as well. I am impressed with the positive culture and mission which are apparent in decision-making and daily work. There are many opportunities for development and promotion - the management team, for example, is predominantly made up of internal promotions. I have been promoted twice in my 2.5 years with the company. There is a commitment to work-life balance, which means a lot to me. I am continually amazed by my incredible co-workers and their dedication to serving patients.

Cons

High rate of growth means constant change, which can be either a positive or negative thing depending on whether you are looking for movement or stability.

SPS has been great for my career growth.

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy both my work and co-workers. Very rewarding and collaborative.

Cons

Not a lot of bus routes to the West Valley location. But there is tons of parking!

Awful Company

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the beginning it was a great place to work until they changed the Senior Management. After that, employees were starting to leave because of the hostile work environment.

Cons

Don't ever apply for workers comp. If you get injured, go to your regular doctor for treatment. By filing for workers comp, they will make you life miserable and try and make you resign.

Stop overworking the employees

Great Company to work for. Challenging for personal growth & development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fair and consistent people management. Excellent health benefits. Interesting work at the forefront of Healthcare Reform.

Cons

Hierarchical structure makes it difficult to initiate new ideas. Very outdated with internal infrastructure technology.

Allow new leaders to bring their new ideas to the table and give them a fair hearing.

The place I will retire from.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong focus on employees, patients, and clients. My leader empowers me to make decisions and creates an environment for change and growth.

Cons

Some a antiquated processes. Too many layers of management in operational areas.

It's not always beneficial to keep employees for the sake of not wanting to lay off.

mediocre

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services

Pros

Consider discussing: Office Culture, Personal Growth, work life, and other things that are very good at the company

Cons

What are some of the challenges of working here? Consider discussing training, promotion, leader ship, and other things are not so good here.

none