Sutter Physician Services

Sutter Physician Services CEO Charles V. Wirth
Charles V. Wirth

Employee focus, growing company

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is always interesting and dynamic. The work is engaging and it feels important and impactful. The culture is collaborative and feels like every opinion matters. It is incredibly exciting to be part of a company in a huge growth mode.

Cons

There are still a lot of small company processes that havent been shed yet. It can be hard to stay with what is important as it changes so quickly. Not very diverse Leadership Team.

Be willing to let go of old practices and really shake things up.

Dec 20, 2014Recruitment Manager

Thank you for this review! We continuously work hard to create a culture of collaboration and engagement; we are glad to hear that your perspective is aligned with our efforts. We agree that some of ... More

Excellent company: Values their employees and stays way ahead of the industry curve.

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee satisfaction scores are annually in the nation's top decile, company culture is positive, well defined and consistent, very little drama/teams work well, change management is excellent, well-regarded in the industry, provides employees with the resources they need to do their job, strong senior leadership, rapidly growing = a lot of opportunity.

Cons

Very fast paced, if you can't handle it, this isn't the company for you.

Great company for a career

Current Employee - Assistant Director in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sutter Health is a known brand in Northern California, but is just gaining ground as an employer in Utah. The factor that have made Sutter successful in California are taking root here as well. I am impressed with the positive culture and mission which are apparent in decision-making and daily work. There are many opportunities for development and promotion - the management team, for example, is predominantly made up of internal promotions. I have been promoted twice in my 2.5 years with the company. There is a commitment to work-life balance, which means a lot to me. I am continually amazed by my incredible co-workers and their dedication to serving patients.

Cons

High rate of growth means constant change, which can be either a positive or negative thing depending on whether you are looking for movement or stability.

SPS has been great for my career growth.

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy both my work and co-workers. Very rewarding and collaborative.

Cons

Not a lot of bus routes to the West Valley location. But there is tons of parking!

Dec 20, 2014Recruitment Manager

We're glad to hear that your work and team is a match for you! Doing work that you enjoy with people that you like is a beautiful thing. Limited bus routes is not ideal but you are right, at least ... More

Like working in a factory without smokestack

Current Employee - Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company tries to create a team atmosphere and for the most part succeeds.
    Some managers are more open to worker input than others.
    None of the managers I met were nasty or mean. Rumor has it that such persons are fired or moved back to a non-manager position.

Cons

Some business practices are old and inflexible. Others are very up-to-date. It really depends on which unit you work for. Must record hours to nearest 15 minutes. Overtime discouraged.

Do not expect past and present success to continue forever.

High performing organization with dedicated and smart employees.

Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong culture that is continuously nurtured and developed.
    Decisions are made collaboratively and, with the employees at heart.
    People here truly care and have passion for the work and passion for purpose.
    Leaders are dedicated to supporting business objectives and goals - all with the client and patient at heart.
    My boss listens to me and truly cares about my well being.

Cons

Work-life-balance.
    Deadlines are sometimes unreasonable - but resources are available, if you know how to ask for them.

FInd ways to continue to reward high performers.
    Differentiate between A, B, and C players during performance reviews. Half a percent or even a whole percent merit increase is not a differentiator.

"A Great Place to Work" isn't just a slogan

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to help others in multitude/have value in what we do
    Company treats employees well (Work-Life balance, rewards,)
    Culture
    Caring/involved leadership- always looking at the employees' and the patients' experiences and where they could improve
    Management works with employees to give/get feedback to improve work
    AWESOME new recreation center
    Relaxation/activity rooms on each floor for breaks/lunches

Cons

Not very flexible schedules, training classes set at fixed times, and lack of career development (must be very proactive about intentions to get promoted)

Invest resources like time and money into career advancement and leadership training.

Dec 20, 2014Recruitment Manager

As we continue with our rapid growth of our Patient Service Center in West Valley, your feedback is extremely valuable. We are in the process of designing more flexible training classes and ... More

Great place to Work!

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to grow and develop in your career aspirations. The leadership really listens to concerns and feedback and tries to implement change when possible. Sutter Physician Services has allowed me the flexibility to have a work/life balance and above all else, the people I work with are the best.

Cons

The organization structure is a bit confusing to understand but could be the result of growth and change within the company.

This company has serious problems

I worked at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers flexible work (for some) and the benefits are excellent

Cons

This company has serious problems. Not a professional environment. It is out of date, there is limited talent of senior leadership, a tough bullying CEO, and lack of decision making is rampant. This company almost completely operates independently from the parent company, Sutter Health. Don't be fooled.

Stop treating your employees like children. Empower your managers. Be consistent. Hold others accountable.

Dec 2, 2014Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your honest opinion about your experience as an SPS employee. It’s unfortunate that our company was not a good fit for you. Your feedback causes us take a closer look at what we do so ... More

Awful Company

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Sutter Physician Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the beginning it was a great place to work until they changed the Senior Management. After that, employees were starting to leave because of the hostile work environment.

Cons

Don't ever apply for workers comp. If you get injured, go to your regular doctor for treatment. By filing for workers comp, they will make you life miserable and try and make you resign.

Stop overworking the employees