Suzman & Cole Design Associates

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Design Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Design Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Suzman & Cole Design Associates

Pros

SCDA is a comfortable workplace and allows for personal growth. You are given responsibility early in your career and can make a salary higher than most firms at a similar level of experience. For the most part, management is relaxed and does not micro manage.

Cons

Senior management is sometimes aloof and accounting can be difficult to work with. It is hard to get an answer regarding compensation and company policies. The structure does not match the job titles. The titles given are Senior Associate, Design Associate and Landscape Designer. The reality is that there are project managers and landscape designers. This creates issues of hierarchy and frustrations involving compensation.

Please weigh your employees for their contributions and compensate them accordingly.

This is not an easy place to work if you like being treated with respect.

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Suzman & Cole Design Associates

Pros

The work that is done by this firm is spectacular. They are landscape architects and designers, they've done amazing things in various types of projects, from private homes to public spaces. Very talented designers.

Cons

The two principals have completely different ideas of the types of projects they should be pursuing, as well as other differences in management style.

Additionally, I found that one of the principals was especially rude and difficult to work with. He was like that with many people not just me, but that didn't make him any easier to deal with. He wanted to review or approve anything sent out, but then wouldn't be available to review things for weeks or months at a time. There was always a notable display of contempt, hostility, and impatience on his part. After a while, it drained away all the enthusiasm I'd once had for that job.

The other principal was easier to deal with, but still sometimes difficult. He was very imperious, very impatient, not open to feedback, and I think his lack of discrimination in pursuing jobs made us look desperate. He really should have considered more closely if some jobs were worth going after, if they'd pay enough to be worth our time. Also, he had a tendancy to overwhelm prospective clients with these brochures/qualification packages we'd assemble. He would include case studies that were not relevant to the type of work at hand. They became so large, they were more like a homework assignment from a hateful teacher than an effective marketing tool. I think he's just very insecure and always felt like he had to prove himself.

This firm really could not support a full-time marketing person. When I started, they needed to bring in work. By the time my job ended after 9 1/2 months, they were turning down work because we didn't have the design staff to tackle new jobs.

I got a good review and a raise after 90 days. But, by the end of about six months, I was starting to feel like this wasn't going to be a long-term place for me. By the end of 9 months, I was actively looking for another job. I was actually happy to be let go. I got a severance package and was able to collect unemployment benefits. Sure, I wish I could have continued on there in a successful manner, but working hard to help someone else make a lot of money and being treated badly in return just isn't something I'd want anyone to have to endure.

Treat your employees better. Respect should be a right, not a luxury. You don't inspire loyalty by treating people like they are disposable.

Worked for Suzman & Cole Design Associates? Contribute to the Community!