Svam International

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Svam International President and CEO Anil Kapoor

Anil Kapoor

Great Environment

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Work environment , management puts people first and a good chance of career advancement as long as you do a good job . Good coworkers and very team driven

Consa bit of siloed in departments

Needs better attention to employee

.NET Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEmployees are on several interviews everyday and usually find a project very fast, the company pays for 1way ticket to NY and then to the city of the project within US.

ConsOnce you become an employee, management is very slow on processing everything, even answering e-mails. I always suffered delays on refunds from hotels, cabs, and visa. On interviews they never mention that employees should stay in the company for at least a year by contract. No life nor long term disability insurance offered, also no personnel training is an option.

Advice to Senior ManagementI will suggest you to mention important contract details when the interview is going on, it is really unpleasant to find them out in the end, once you left your job and came to another country. Also if you offer salary below industry average try to give more than basic compensations. Attention to candidate is really good, keep the same service once they are employees. Finally talk to your contractors, ask them feedback about their project and general service from the company.

Paranoic People

J2EE Developer (Former Employee) Great Neck, NY

ProsStart working on the US

ConsEvery single phone call and email is checked by these guys, they supervise everything you say and how you say it and get angry if you . They don't even allow you to give your personal cell phone to recruiters. I didn't understand why at the beginning but later I figured out that some of the project seekers wanted full-time employees and since most opportunities on the industry are better payed and have better benefits, most Svam employers used to leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPressure and supervision on employees would be unnecessary with better work conditions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the best nor the worst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI see extreme opinions from this company i wanted to give mine more neutral and objective:
    Salaries in this company are lower than the average market, check it by yourself on glassdoor, payscale, indeed, etc and compare your offer. if you do not agree just do not accept or ask for a fair amount
    Svam reimburse the Visa expenses for you and your immediate family (per person it is aprox 150 USD)
    In the contract you sign (with a penalty of 10,000 USD) it states that you have to stay at SVAM for at least a year so be sure you are convinced with your salary offer because you will have to live with it for a while.
    Svam buys way airplane for you and your family.
    They provide Guest House until you have a project. The conditions of these houses is variable and depends a lot on the people that live there. They are basic, not good nor bad.
    Green card is offered almost immediately. If you do not agree on your current salary then do not accept the GC since you will have to stay with SVAM for at least 3 or 4 more years.
    i do not know if SVam pays cancellation fees but they never mention it, if you have questions about this ask to the company before joining.
    They offer 401K when asked by the employee, they could pay only 15-20% of your contributions. In my opinion this is low but at least it is offered.
    Interviews are monitored, this is true. The reason is that some employers made better propositions of full time employment to Svam employees and they left Svam. It is understandable since Svam loses money.
    Svam will give you many interviews and will select the better economical option for them. For you, as an employee, is the same because you have a salary.
    Professional growth depends on you as everywhere else. They do not pay for training.
    Medical insurance is not very good option with Svam, it costs (aprox) 500 USD for a family coverage. Check the market before accepting the insurance with them.

ConsI will recommend to you to ask everything before joining. For example they say they pay you since you arrive to the US which is true but you will not receive payment until you have a Sec Num, but you can ask for salary advance. Ask for the process of visa renovation, if you do not want to risk with a visa renovation out of the US you can ask them for a premium processing fee.
    In most cases, when people do not have Green Card processing, employees leave soon and this is due to the payment (even the good reviews mentioned that they left the company after the Green Card process is done). Try to be analytical, I think Svam is not a good company but it is not the worst. IT is a very competitive market so if this option is not the best look for others. if it does then good luck.

Used to be a decent place, not an option anymore

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Great Neck, NY

Prosh1b visa sponsor and offer salary based jobs

Consthis company was a decent opporunity to start working on the US. Even though they offered a joke as a salary, poor benefits, and late reimburstments for some expenses, they gave salary before starting a project and a guest house to stay. Now they are asking the new employees to stay 18 months at least and pay for staying at the guest house! So staying in this company (more than 6 months I would say) means losing a lot of money that you can get almost anywhere in the US, as consultant or full-time employee. It worked for me sinced I moved quicky but now it is a bad idea. If you already accepted this job then don't think on accepting Green Card with them, that means staying a longer period of time under these conditions.

Jun 28, 2014

Green Card is not offered a means to handcuff anyone – anyone applying for a Green card with any company will have to work for them till the time their Green Card is approved. If the intention was to ... More

A bad experience

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPayment is done in time, business people are good finding project

ConsThis is the worst consultant company I have ever been there is no attention to the employee, reimbursement is paid late. When money is the topic this company shows its real face. Inform yourselves very good when joining this cunning people.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck schedules on your management, give maintenance to offices and treat employeea better, they are the core of your business. Why do you think your business has not grown lately?

Jun 28, 2014

"Cunning" is a real strong word - not sure what wrong has SVAM done to you but please contact me and I will make sure that your concerns are taken care of.
    Also, please let us know if we did not
    ... More

Just waiting to leave

.NET Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking in the US, getting paid before finding my project

ConsThey never told that their contract does not let you leave the company for a while so I got stuck in this underpaid job for a while, really no freedom, i feel stuck here i didn't know that many people feel similar to me. I want to warn other people about this company, there are many opportunities in other places. Reading that the VP of svam writes a positive review of this company is pathetic, good places speak by themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to change several people of your staff, offer posibility of percentage payment as real consultants and let Mexicans know about everything before we leave our jobs

Below average pay

Software Developer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSalary offered with or without a project, in a reasonable time frame

ConsSalaries payed are minimum accepted by h1b regulations taking the advantage of ignorance from foreigners; there is no work culture nor growth in the company (no training, study support, etc)

Advice to Senior ManagementPay fair salaries

Average Consulting Company

ProsEasy to get through interview process, par one way ticket to US, reimburse hotel when finding project at another city

ConsAll problems from consultant companies: no career growth, no company values, no training, no stability, low salary. Recently they are asking employees to sign a no cancellation condition (or a $10k usd fee) forcing you to stay at the company for at least a year and a half.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees are real full time employees.

Jun 28, 2014

First of all, the contract is for a year not year and a half - so yr assertion and comment is not correct. Not sure what do you mean by company values - values of a company are also determined by the ... More

Opportunity and empowerment is the Key to SVAM's Success

ProsBest place to be in. i have been with the company for more than 10 years and i have grown in leaps and bounds in both experience and knowledge. I am what i am today because of SVAM.

ConsVery cautious company. with 20 years of experience, one could be very big but SVAM's Size has been stable for the past 15 years

Worked for Svam International? Contribute to the Community!