Svenska Handelsbanken Reviews

1. Credit processor

Current Employee - Credit Processor
    Current Employee - Credit Processor

I have been working at Svenska Handelsbanken

Pros

Good part-time job for a student and a pretty good salary

Cons

Work is very monotonous and the career opportunities aren't good.

2. Conservative and inflexible, but the company has proper work-life balance.

I worked at Svenska Handelsbanken

Pros

Flat structure and work/life balance

Cons

Conservative and inflexible and not that much further education

Scandinavian equities in NY

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Svenska Handelsbanken

Pros

If you are Swedish and want to work in NYC, it is highly recommended. They pay relatively well, you get great benefits (more European than typically American), and the atmosphere is no more or less intense than other firms. Given that Wall Street firms are contracting, smaller firms like Svenska Handelsbanken will have a better chance to compete, so going forward that should be a good thing for current and prospective employees of the firm.

Cons

Non-Swedes are not treated equally. Swedish is the language of choice in the office and it's rude to those who do not speak the language. Management does not discourage this, and in fact most of the bosses do it regularly when they are in town. Management is also disorganized, and the turnover at the top and amongst the employees is worrisome.

Advice to Management

Either fully support the NY office or close it. Right now it seems to be an afterthought.

5. Brilliant culture, stable, secure, long term career

I have been working at Svenska Handelsbanken full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good leadership, decentralised business model, strong culture, very little politics, workless balance is excellent

Cons

Clunky systems, a little dated in thinking but it works

Advice to Management

Better systems please

6. Managers lack foresight to explore employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Jämtland (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Jämtland (Sweden)

I worked at Svenska Handelsbanken (More than a year)

Pros

Great customer service culture. Branch Manager is 'king', is empowered and makes all decisions; all other departments are treated as 'support' staff

Cons

Very slow and sluggish pace of work, cannot handle 'power hungry' execs. Change in structure results in redundancy even without really exploring employee's capabilities. No effort to get them re-deployed.

Advice to Management

To get a better handle on team leaders and they are no supporting core culture harped on by senior management.

7. Customer Advisor

I worked at Svenska Handelsbanken part-time

Pros

Decent pay, Good locations, NIce staff

Cons

Slow and bureaucratic company, typical bank

Advice to Management

Give personnel better options to advance within the company

8. Great place to work

Former Employee - Kunderådgiver in Oslo (Norway)
    Former Employee - Kunderådgiver in Oslo (Norway)

I worked at Svenska Handelsbanken

Pros

Great company who take care of their employees, great benefits, pension plan and health insurance

Cons

If you leave, you might not be accepted back in

9. Great but conservative company

I worked at Svenska Handelsbanken part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits for staff and possibilites to grow within the company, which includes working in different parts of the world. Efficient company that not only focuses on cost structure, but also on the employees - win win Stabile company

Cons

Strict hierarchy and sometimes monotonus assignments Low salaries at entry level - Goes for the entire industry A somewhat conservative company

10. Swedish cornerstone institution with no culture.

Former Employee - Bank Clerk
    Former Employee - Bank Clerk

I worked at Svenska Handelsbanken

Pros

Time is soft, relax and your work is without any goals. Octogonen ( personnel fund ) is taking care of everybody. Everybody gets the same ” bonus” for the retirement.

Cons

The real problem with SHB is that the strategy is a ” drifter”. The bank doesn´t have any strategy, budget or goals. The only and one and only goal is to be the most profitable bank among equals. The trick is low costs, not the profits. The profits are seen as a problem, because there might be too much risk or volatility in some areas or instruments. Therefore your work or ideas are subpressed by the bigger picture. They just dont go anywhere. Therefore, salaries and other incentives are subpressed by low cost maintanance. SHB is part of the Swede- institutions, therefore the management perspective sight is 50 to 100 years. The dynamics, joy of work is irrelevant. Institutional status takes care of business ie. giving loans from a healthy balancesheet to selected customers and ripping them off. 1990 style of IT –systems are a problem. It consumes profits like personnel. Both are old, outdated and costly. I can remember a ” when one CEO said that IT and personnel are the biggest costs, but we need both”. It´s ok to say it once, but it gets very odd when you hear it every year. For me its sounds like, we dont like you to be here, because your causing a cost. Organisation hierarhy is low, but the management is very far away. It lacks direction, motivation and skills. Culture is mainly around managing costs and customers. ”Keep all costs low and your customer happy.” The management or the board do not want to create a real culture. In my 10 plus years I didnt hear a word values or our way of thinking. For me ”different kind of bank” doesnt mean anything if the focus is only in costs. There is no development, or better tomorrow. There is no such a thing like community or the our way of thinking. Yes there is, but it is ”costs”. Its is very suffocating and districted way of work. I cannot recommend anyone to join SHB in any level.

11. There is no culture

Current Employee - Product Owner in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Product Owner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Svenska Handelsbanken full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Status quo. Nothing changes. No need to talk or communicate. Boss will never push you. Salary is fair and will never rise huge amounts. If you keep your head down you will do fine.

Cons

Management perspective 50 years. Management style is from 1950. IT is from 1000 BCC. There are no academic or very high intelligent people hired. Uneducated and "time- rotten" middle managers and top managers. Very Stockholm centric with odd humor. You dont need to think, develop or participate on anything. If youre young and want to develop dont go there young man.... !

Advice to Management

Ask your yourself; Am I competent ? Let some new blood get in to bank and get ready to change. Otherwise, SHB is seen, known, learned in 12 months; Loans are given, managed and customers well cared. FULL STOP.

RSS Feed </> Embed