Swagelok

Be The First To
Add Photos

Swagelok President and CEO Art Anton

Art Anton

Pros:
  • "Nice people, nice work environment, steady employment, lots of opportunity for growth"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good Benefits good working hours"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management needs to get more involved to change this track"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Very little decision making authority for lower level employees"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Manufacturing Engineer (Contract)

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee)
Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Swagelok full-time for more than a year

ProsGood strong Quality culture, experienced professional associates, company stands by its brand, diverse product line serving many industries, "BMW" marquee of valve and fittings industry

ConsA lot of contract and contingent workers leading to frequent turnovers and constant re-training of new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest into training and keeping best contingent performers instead of constantly losing them to other companies who offer benefits and higher pay.

Principal Application Engineer

Principal Applications Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Swagelok full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe working environment and conditions are a benefit. Swagelok prides itself on hiring the right people and there are a lot of great people to work with in any facet of the company.

ConsManagement gets moved around frequently which does not lend itself to a cohesive department. Many times, people are promoted not on their abilities and knowledge, but more on perception and pedigree. The emphasis on what school or degree you have has surfaced more than in the past. Technical individuals are not valued, especially at Sr. levels. There really is nowhere to advance for the subject matter experts, especially compensation that is competitive to the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to listen to it's associates more and pull the competent people up in pay and responsibility. There should be a better defined technical track for those individuals who want to stay technical but are still able to reach higher earning levels.

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Swagelok full-time

ProsVery welcoming environment. And people leave work right at 5pm. Once you're in the company, they do a good job of making it hard for you to leave. There is almost always a work function that has food, so inevitably, you could eat lunch for free almost 5 days a week.

ConsPeople start their day extremely early. It's also a meeting-intensive environment. Meetings are scheduled literally for the sake of having meetings. Swagelok is a bit like high school -- there are the cool kids, those who think they are cool and want in, and then those who just hang on the periphery. The last group inevitably does all the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management -- please consider getting off your cell phones and texting other people in the same meeting while someone else is talking. It's extremely rude and inconsiderate, esp. to those who worked hard to orchestrate a meeting. In addition, please be respectful of other peoples' time and arrive at meetings on time. Or set a designated hour of no-meeting policy.

Swagelok a company with a strong product, heading in the wrong direction.

Production Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Swagelok full-time for more than a year

ProsGood History and family owned. One of the larger employers in the Cleveland area. They have a good product line in high demand, they are busy. They offer a good retirement plan for a younger person. The work area is kept very clean and most areas are climate controlled.

ConsThis is a numbers driven company and they really push production and long hours, often 68 hours per week.
Faster, is a word to express the norm. Health care has it's limits with high deductibles. The family ownership is fading and soon that may change. This is a very hard driven atmosphere, are you up to it?

Advice to Senior ManagementTo many temp's with little hope of a future does little for the culture of Swagelok. We don't like being kicked to the curb. Remember your companies roots, and stop stepping on others to build your resume and climb the ladder. Restore this place to it's former quality before it's to late.

Good Company with Lots of Lateral Moves

Quality Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Swagelok full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStable and good company to work for. LOT of lateral move opportunities. Moderate 2%-3% wage increases if you are meeting or exceeding your objectives for your job position. Willing to consider changes and willing to invest in those changes, but change takes too long and take a lot of red tape to get through.

ConsModerately rigid work schedule (especially on the production floor) and very conservative dress code.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the sound business principles in place that have helped you/us grow over the last 60 years, but loosen up a bit and take more calculated risks.

Engineering Intern

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Swagelok as an intern for less than a year

ProsEveryone is very friendly! All the employees, regardless of rank, are knowledgeable about the products they work on. You can pick up and work on all sorts of projects as an Intern

ConsThe projects that are assigned to interns initially are fairly simple, and results in a lot of free time.

Very organized company, great environment, solid footing, takes too long to get hired in

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee)
Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Swagelok as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat Lean/6 Sigma/5S culture, a lot of experienced employees, strong diverse product range, solid finances, fair work-life balance.

ConsConservative culture, risk-adverse, very contractor-heavy - knew of people who worked hard for years and still weren't hired in, causing high turnover rates for talented and ambitious contingency employees who got tired of waiting and went to look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up on the dress code and get with the times, promote young engineers, encourage innovation and experimental products.

Good for starters, but really hard to break-in full associates.

Production Scheduler (Current Employee)
Richmond Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Swagelok as a contractor for more than a year

Prosgreat work environment, good compensation for contractors, high quality people to work with.

Consreally slow to bring contractors in as full associates. REALLY SLOW.

Some great people, just not in top management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Swagelok

ProsPay is pretty good. Benefits are average.

ConsZero work-life balance. Very little integrity within senior management ranks.

It was great

Process Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Solon, OH

I worked at Swagelok as an intern for more than a year

ProsLove the people who work there. Friendly, supportive enviorement!

ConsMeant for mechanical engineering. I am chemical so there wasn't much opportunity there

Worked for Swagelok? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Swagelok reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Swagelok CEO Art Anton. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by Swagelok employees.