Swan and Dolphin Resort

Paul Scott

Walt Disney World Resort

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Swan and Dolphin Resort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Very competitive and demanding at times.

Hotel losing it's place in the Orlando market, and it sure shows!

Current Employee - Recreation Attendant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Recreation Attendant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Swan and Dolphin Resort part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, although I have been On Call they allow me to work only a couple days a week, but do not guarantee I get the shifts I want.
    Free Lunch, although it is possibly under cooked, or unappetizing. Free is free, and they always have salad!

Cons

Coming from a resort that took care of their guests, it truly shows. Working in hospitality it is sad to see how fellow team members and management does not care how their guests feel or try to resolve guest issues. Working in such an entry level position, nobody wants to listen to you!
    Pay is far below what you should be making in a resort.

The GM came into my orientation asking what the number one thing he was looking for. I replied guest satisfaction and pleasing all the guests. His response was "We'll get back to that." following up with, "We're looking for profitability, money!" This was unheard of from me, as I have been drilled time and time again that the guest is always right, you are here for the guest, and we want to make a special memory for the guest. While doing that you will end up obtaining profit and a repeat guest. You do not tell the front line that, save it for upper management meetings. I should have walked out that day, the only regret I have.

Great for experience

I worked at Swan and Dolphin Resort

Pros

Time off was easy, team members were a great

Cons

leadership was sometimes none supportive

Train the trainer

A world of excitement.

I worked at Swan and Dolphin Resort as an intern

Pros

The people are simply amazing, its not just a resort, its an experience.

Cons

There are no cons in eyes

Keep the Disney tradition afloat.

Great place to gain experience.

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Swan and Dolphin Resort part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary positions offer very competitive rates.

Cons

During slow season hours are cut and certain areas of the hotel have zero customers.

Unprofessional and political

Current Employee - NONE in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - NONE in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Swan and Dolphin Resort full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pros I can say is that all employees get free parking and complimentary lunches in each property.

Cons

Find this property to be very political, unprofessional, it needs to be rebuilt from the top with regards to management. They treat people with no respect and yell profanities, yet HR turns their heads the other way!

Treat your cast members with more respect!

Good place to get experience under your belt, but its hard to get to the better paying jobs "Its who you know".

Current Employee - Pastry Cook in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Pastry Cook in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Swan and Dolphin Resort full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large company with semi good benefits, which were better until a couple of years go. You get to eat at the cafeteria and don't have to worry about lunch. HR does try a lot for the employees to keep them motivated and informed.

Cons

Very little room for advancement or upper mobility within hotel if you are in a kitchen. Kitchen Management needs more training in people skills since you get promoted for being there the longest and if you can make the products. There is very little training to go into a supervisory role, you learn on the job from others who learned the same way so nothing changes.
    If you work overtime one day by the end of the week you get sent home to "kill it" and you paid regular hourly rate.

still just an aging hotel

Current Employee - Culinary in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Employee - Culinary in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at Swan and Dolphin Resort full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Little things matter when you are not making big money. Free parking; even tho its a bit of a walk. Employee meals also free, and good quality. There is a fulltime culinary staff assigned to produce fresh meal for the cafeteria and the choices are good. Sometimes leftovers from Banquets are used but not the standard. Locker rooms, restrooms and showers are cleaned daily. Benefits are great, seems HR/Casting is responsive to needs. Would be a good place for fresh out of college grad who has desire to learn/work for a HUGE hotel. you will meet MANY people who started when the hotel opened (1989/90)

Cons

Pay scale, rates are on position, expericence does not even enter into the equation. small annual raise base on review. Seems managers prefer you to be trained by them as a "clean slate". Managers not open to new suggestions or taking initiative to solve guest/production problems.
    Hotel is a huge ( 2200 rooms combined) property that is starting to show its age.Infrastructure needs a makeover. GEI is tanking because of this and upper crust is freaking out. Many rules and of course, egos to be fed. Some managers have anger issues that are condoned/overlooked by most superiors.
    Seasonal workload annually, convention business very busy in fall, slow in summer. Feast or famine

be quicker with compliments to your employees, surprise us with a bonus.....

Excellent

I have been working at Swan and Dolphin Resort

Pros

Awesome people, management, and values.

Cons

Not much to complain about, if youre looking for quick good money it helps.

Keep it up.

A deceiving place where favoritism, fraternization, and prejudice hide within the management team.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Swan and Dolphin Resort full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be good under Sheraton

Cons

Too many politics and clicks if you are not part of a click you are definitely out.

The corruption went all the way to the top but I understand some type of mini clean up took place . But I am sure some of the bad apples are still there playing games with peoples lives and having the co-executioners from Human Resources to back up their constructed claims.