Swedish Covenant

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Newton

Fast growing and yet compassionate

Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of growth and opportunities

ConsHealthcare is getting progressively more complicated and competitive

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to empower your employees. They are assets not expenses.

Swedish has poor oversight of management, high turn over rates, and pays less than other hospitals.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHaving some great co-workers can make anyone stay in a position longer than they otherwise would. They frequently hire new graduate nurses and frequently have openings on specialty units. There are several new buildings on campus that look great.

ConsStaff retention was a problem, which led to many other issues. I watched over 80 people come and go from my unit within a few years. Additionally, no retention efforts were instituted and upper management thought this was reasonable. Scheduling was unreliable, often coming out less than 1 week in advance, I had multiple vacation requests revoked after approval due to low staffing and internal management issues. The management was unreliable, there was unsafe staffing ratios for acuity, I was required to take call and called in above that. They frequently have budget issues which trickle down to the employees. Payroll frequently shorts your check, and does not automatically pay overtime rates, which means you have to catch each mistake on each paycheck and it can take months to see the correction. This happened to me on a monthly basis. HR is unsupportive and unfriendly, and has policies that are against labor laws. Wages are below average. Education, advanced degrees, experience and patient satisfaction scores are under valued. Raises are low and sparse, if you get one at all. You might get a 1-2% raise after having outstanding reviews multiple years in a row, or you might have an outstanding review and receive no raise. There are no cost of living increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate your management and hold them accountable. With turnover this high, there is a reason!

Company is okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's close to home for me.

ConsPeople in this department kind of lack motivation, including superiors... makes it hard to even work there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible Scheduling

CNA (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWe can make our own schedule, have alternating weekends off, can take days off as long as you find a replacement. PTO is great.

ConsLack of team work between EVERYONE! From housekeeping, to nurses, to secretaries, to cna's, to doctors/residents. Everyone talks behind everyone's back. Some people should not be allowed to work there who still are.

Not an employee advocate

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGives employment opportunity to new grads. Hourly rate is decent.

ConsHR is not an employee advocate. When the employee is in hardship they will leave you out to dry and even make you resign. Unit manager is the same. So quick to accuse w/o investigating first, favoritism. Not a friendly place for single parents.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe an employee advocate not just caring about reimbursements. Happy employees will give you satisfied patients.

Better than most

ProsGreat Staff. Hands on training. Room for growth. I've seen 3 Er techs become er nurses after completing boards.

ConsManagement. I never feel as if they'll look out for the little guy. Pay increases are few and far between

Advice to Senior Management"Here at swedish every job is important from the cna to the director" stop allowing this to be just a quote.

Real Experience with A Fun Experience

Volunteer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEveryone is very friendly to be around and your effort and achievements will not be forgotten within the hospital. A large family taking care of one another along with new patients that come in for our help.

ConsI think the place needs more light in the building so it doesn't seem so gloomy

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise Eco-friendly installments to make the building look brighter and not gloomy.

Intern for the Marketing Department for an academic semester

ProsVery unique and fun work culture. The Marketing dept is a collaborative environment that has many depts working together i.e. Marketing, Community Relations, Physician Services, Galter Medical Fitness Center. The people that work there are brilliant and creative. Strong focus on teamwork, patient experience, and hospital growth/brand strategies.

ConsHard to think of one so I would have to say none.

Friendly, caring, and compassionate community

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat place to work, really can sense the care and compassion. Lot's of friendly co-workers, some who have been there a long time, and happy to help.

ConsProbably below average on compensation for a hospital in the city. Career growth seems to be very limited based on what department you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate!

Tech

Tech (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat culture, feels like working with family. They were negotiable with hours and supportive of continuing ed.

ConsPay is low i was not given a review

Advice to Senior ManagementI would only suggest hiring more supportive staff to deal with insurance issues

Worked for Swedish Covenant? Contribute to the Community!