Swedish Medical Center Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

3.3

Anthony Armada

Pros
  • great coworkers, caring management, good pay (in 5 reviews)

• Professional Environment, Customer Service Oriented, Excellent Salary, Great Benefits, (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Management heavy as in any large organization (in 3 reviews)

• The focus has turned to the bottom line rather than effective and safe patient care (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid organization leading healthcare, good opportunities

Former Employee - Director  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of variety in opportunities - many campuses, environments, departments. This is a great place to grow a career or have a job while you're raising a family or doing something else. Good benefits, good management, people trying to do their best in a complex industry.

Cons

Downtown commute can be a bear but that's a choice one makes to work for a great organization.

Keep working hard to make it a great place to work, not just a great place to receive care.

(Edmonds) Excellent hospital with room for improvement!

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant  in  Edmonds, WA
    Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Edmonds, WA

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center part-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent work culture! Everyone is nice and I love how there is no "power distance". Which is not speaking up due to your ranking (i.e. nurses aides not being able to correct a nurse) and using your experience to speak up and contribute regardless of your job title. Innovation is what makes a work environment excellent and the fact that everyone can contribute and the environment encourages it is amazing. I work with amazing people there is not a lot of extra fluff (aka drama). Everyone works as a team! Literally communication within every department is seamless. I needed to see the staffing department and employee health about something and they all knew I was coming which made for easy exchange of information. I love using EPIC to chart! Excellent pay! Great benefits! Free parking. Reimbursement for continuing education.

Cons

High patient to aide ratio. 13:1 however I don't do vitals. Wish there was another aide for assistance but it's not a big deal.

Love management! They are great! No complaints!

No growth opportunities for support staff.

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time

Pros

My office environment was very comfortable and I had the opportunity to work with a fun team of doctors. There was no micromanagement and I was able to freely develop my own work habits.

Cons

There is really no room for growth for support staff. There are seasoned workers that have been in the same position for 10+ years that don't like to share their tools and resources with newer teammates. Training is pretty non-existent so you have to heavily depend on the seasoned workers to learn how to do your job but it is difficult to learn when they are unwilling to share their knowledge with you. There is also a huge lack of communication between managers and departments, which is why a lot of things get missed or dropped. The leadership team also lack problem solving skills. The same common problems will come up over and over again and yet there never seems to be a resolution to prevent it from happening again. Physicians are treated like royalty while support staff are treated like just another number that can easily be replaced. Also, a lot of funding seems to be going towards ads on TV and Pandora, while employees' annual merit increase were significantly decreased.

When an employee reaches out to you and shows interest in expanding their learning opportunities, be sure to acknowledge them and take them seriously. Telling them that there is no time for training is unacceptable when all you have to do is manage your time better to make this happen. Also, it is important to offer cross training between team members. The main reason most people choose to resign from their position is due to poor management. There is really no point for a person to go above and beyond their duties when there is no reward and recognition. Sadly, most companies lose many valuable employees due to poor management within the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, mediocre professional development or promotion opportunities.

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are excellent. The environment is clean, safe and friendly.

Cons

There are almost no professional development opportunities unless you are a clinician. As a support personnel, you are stuck. There is no upward or lateral mobility.

Provide career and professional development and reward a person's desire to move up. Encourage promotions and lateral moves to retain talented employees.

Hirer Professionals

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefit package was okay except the bus passes could be cheaper. There is no standardization between clinics. Nurses should have more training and be a resource for the clinic. Nursing supervisors should not ask one medical assistant on how to discipline another medical assistant.

Cons

Clinic administers are not qualified for the positions. Favoritism and racism are rampant. Evaluations are vetted by HR before they are discussed with the employees. This sends the message that no matter what, management is always right. Complaints from employees are dismissed by management.

Actually investigating complaints by questioning everyone involved would be a step in the right direction. It is time that management takes ownership and admits that occasionally they make mistakes in the hiring process of clinic leaders.

Greed Personified

Current Employee - Patient Care Services  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Services in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing - the benefits are awful and all locationsa re going to6 day work weeks with nights and weekends. The pay is awful and people are leaving in droves.

Cons

Constant turnover at all levels including doctors
    Management with NO medical background
    Discriminatory in thier HR practices
    Pateint care has declined quickly - pateints are fleeing for University Of Washington
    Senior & Corporate Management Teams have also left for U of W

They won't listen anyway so it's worthless.

PSC Swedish MED

Current Employee - PSC  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - PSC in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

OK compensation, good benefits, easy to move up within once hired

Cons

BIG company where you can easily get lost in the corporate policies. Everyone is over-worked here

Recognize when your employees are burnt out. Stop being so profit driven

Challenging team orientated

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center

Pros

Lots of room for growth, team work, good pay

Cons

Very full work load at times

This is a great institution

Current Employee - Physician  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Physician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well run hospital. Excellent ancillary staff. Wonderful learning experiences.

Cons

Like any hospital, there are some issues with transient staff. There are also some politics between physicians and administration that bubble to the surface on occasion.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

With the new, prominent support of senior leadership to research, I look forward to a growing environment and more job security without having to continually justify my position and my value to the organization. Benefits were fantastic when I started, but changes in benefits since the affiliation have decreased their value to employees, notably changes in health insurance, raises dependent on organizational financial health, raises for all employees occurring at the same time and being cost of living based rather than on employees' anniversaries, etc. Even with those changes, benefits are still good and better than other organizations.

Cons

I have had extreme difficulty in my attempts to further develop my skills, stay current in my field, and grow within the organization. Despite a strong work ethic, proven leadership, and extensive knowledge in my field and areas that impact it, I continually take on more tasks, both on my own and at the request of my boss, without promotion and/or compensation. Further, my department has had a history of tension and issues amongst coworkers which had led to a sometimes unenjoyable team environment. Thankfully, I have never personally had these issues, but then tensions between others has given rise to a team that isn't always cohesive.

Be more transparent and communicative with your teams. Nothing is worse for an employee than to not know the future of her/his position. Also, compensate your employees based on their value to the organization, education, and knowledge in their field, not the length of time they have been employed at the organization. It demoralizes employees when they are paid less than others in the same position but are always the go-to person because of their knowledge, education, and experience simply because they have been at the organization less time. An employee's value should dictate compensation and promotions, not seniority.

Worked for Swedish Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!