Swift Communications

Updated February 20, 2015
Updated February 20, 2015
3.6

Bill Toler

Large company with local, small town feel at each property.

I have been working at Swift Communications

Pros

Ability to work in a resort community with the support of a large, national company. Company is open to new ideas. Competitive commission structure. Healthy base pay. Good benefit options for employee plus spouse/family.

Cons

Lots of red tape. Lots of questions about what upper level manager's jobs actually are. Change is very slow. Lots of employee turnover. Some hypocrisy with enforced sales processes versus actual expectations in the field. Understaffed.

Great People

Current Employee - Internet Ventures Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Internet Ventures Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a workplace full of passion and community. Excellent way to stay in touch with local communities They have great benefits and good core values.

Cons

The news industry is struggling for new revenue models and is slow to adapt to change although they embraced the ideas and concepts the reality of budget cuts and market shifts makes the industry too concerned about pinching pennies and afraid of risk.

Amazing Company to work for!

Former Employee - Classified Representative in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Classified Representative in Carson City, NV

I worked at Swift Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership, good company benefits, co-workers and management genuinely cares about you, room for growth, welcoming environment for all employees, company works to build its core on family based values.

Cons

Nothing negative to say, I only left the job because I was moving to a new state

Good place to get your foot in the door

I have been working at Swift Communications

Pros

Friendly colleagues, people are willing to help each other out, provides a good service. Swift communications is a good place to start a career, but after a few years you realize there is no growth potential and it is time to move on.

Cons

No direction, outdated strategy, leadership seems lost. The salary and benefits are nothing special. Management also needs to be more strict with certain employees who take advantage of the company.

You have to adapt with the times. Community based news is a thing of the past.

What have you done for me lately?

Current Employee - Account Manager in Carson City, NV
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Carson City, NV

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Generally good peeople to work with, a bit collaborative even though its a sales environment. Work/life balance is better here than in other jobs-no weekends unless you want them.

Cons

The systems to load ads into and use for IT are really cumbersome. There are a few people who are challenging to work with and resistant to change. I wonder how they are allowed to be so stalwart. And there is constant pressure for more and more sales. Do well, your goal increases. Never ever see the senior management.

There is a lot of noise about new products and sales contests that is all short-term thinking. I get it but create some scenarios where we can look longer-range.

Good environment, poor strategy

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are great. Have met many nice people here. The company has also done a great job on allowing employees to balance work and personal life.

Cons

The strategy and direction of the company seems to be going in the wrong direction. The wages employees earn are not great either.

Great learning with mild poverty

Former Employee - Reporter in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Reporter in Carson City, NV

I worked at Swift Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

• Great learning experience best used as a paid internship — don't let managment know that though.
    • Relative freedom to write what you want
    • You're right near Lake Tahoe and Reno

Cons

• Low pay — forever
    • Shaky newspaper revenues that often lead to editorial layoffs
    • Sketchy hiring: typically this company (Swift Media) will hire directly out of college or close to it. Reporters stay on until they find out there is no financial future in the company and then they'll exit (not necessarily to larger papers). The company repeats this process about every two years, about the time it takes for a reporter to see the writing on the wall and head out.

Stop wasting money on your "innovative ideas" and start investing in your employees.

Friendly staff, fun work, slighly disorganized

Former Employee - Account Manager in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Carson City, NV

I worked at Swift Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The staff, training and general company community are great. Everyone is very helpful and pleasant to work with. It's a huge company, so lots of room to move around if you are interested in working in the journalism/digital news industry. Great sales training as well.

Cons

After sales training, the connection between managers and staff declines and you're on your own. For the sales staff, you have to enjoy cold calling if you are new to start. The commission scheme is not well laid out and incentive to do well slowly decreases as you improve, which doesn't motivate staff to work hard. Managers are very spread out and sometimes out of touch, since the company is spread across Colorado, California, Nevada and a few other states with smaller media markets.

All are doing an excellent job from my perspective! The only thing I would suggest is to connect the various teams for quarterly meetings so we all know who we are talking to/working with and we get a better sense of what the sales staff needs, editorial team needs, managers need, etc.

Strong company, great core values and working environment

Current Employee - Account Manager in Grass Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Grass Valley, CA

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good , great working environment, nice community

Cons

None, no cons to list