Swift Communications

Updated Mar 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bill Toler

Friendly staff, fun work, slighly disorganized

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Swift Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsThe staff, training and general company community are great. Everyone is very helpful and pleasant to work with. It's a huge company, so lots of room to move around if you are interested in working in the journalism/digital news industry. Great sales training as well.

ConsAfter sales training, the connection between managers and staff declines and you're on your own. For the sales staff, you have to enjoy cold calling if you are new to start. The commission scheme is not well laid out and incentive to do well slowly decreases as you improve, which doesn't motivate staff to work hard. Managers are very spread out and sometimes out of touch, since the company is spread across Colorado, California, Nevada and a few other states with smaller media markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll are doing an excellent job from my perspective! The only thing I would suggest is to connect the various teams for quarterly meetings so we all know who we are talking to/working with and we get a better sense of what the sales staff needs, editorial team needs, managers need, etc.

Good place to get your foot in the door

I have been working at Swift Communications

ProsFriendly colleagues, people are willing to help each other out, provides a good service. Swift communications is a good place to start a career, but after a few years you realize there is no growth potential and it is time to move on.

ConsNo direction, outdated strategy, leadership seems lost. The salary and benefits are nothing special. Management also needs to be more strict with certain employees who take advantage of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to adapt with the times. Community based news is a thing of the past.

What have you done for me lately?

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsGenerally good peeople to work with, a bit collaborative even though its a sales environment. Work/life balance is better here than in other jobs-no weekends unless you want them.

ConsThe systems to load ads into and use for IT are really cumbersome. There are a few people who are challenging to work with and resistant to change. I wonder how they are allowed to be so stalwart. And there is constant pressure for more and more sales. Do well, your goal increases. Never ever see the senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of noise about new products and sales contests that is all short-term thinking. I get it but create some scenarios where we can look longer-range.

Good environment, poor strategy

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people who work here are great. Have met many nice people here. The company has also done a great job on allowing employees to balance work and personal life.

ConsThe strategy and direction of the company seems to be going in the wrong direction. The wages employees earn are not great either.

Great learning with mild poverty

Reporter (Former Employee)

I worked at Swift Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros• Great learning experience best used as a paid internship — don't let managment know that though.
• Relative freedom to write what you want
• You're right near Lake Tahoe and Reno

Cons• Low pay — forever
• Shaky newspaper revenues that often lead to editorial layoffs
• Sketchy hiring: typically this company (Swift Media) will hire directly out of college or close to it. Reporters stay on until they find out there is no financial future in the company and then they'll exit (not necessarily to larger papers). The company repeats this process about every two years, about the time it takes for a reporter to see the writing on the wall and head out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting money on your "innovative ideas" and start investing in your employees.

Strong company, great core values and working environment

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Grass Valley, CA

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsGood , great working environment, nice community

ConsNone, no cons to list

Worked for Swift Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Swift Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Swift Communications CEO Bill Toler. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Swift Communications employees.