Swift Transportation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Swift Transportation CEO Jerry C. Moyes

Jerry C. Moyes

Pros:
  • "If you get a good Driver Manager, you'll do well"
    in 7 reviews
  • "They Have plenty of loads, great pay packages, and home time"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long periods away from home two weeks minimum for over the road drivers, one week for regional dedicated routes"
    in 4 reviews
  • "It's hit and miss with trainers / mentors and Driver managers"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good company to work for.

Truck Driver (Former Employee)
    Corinne, UT

ProsThe dedicated fleet for Walmart is a good pay and had steady work

ConsSwift has a poor safety rating, which means you get pulled into the Ports often.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore balanced work-life balance

There ok

Driver Owner Op Trainer (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

Prosas an owner OP bring my truck from another company they where good about helping me with repairs

Consthere crazy phone policy if the dot says it ok to use blue tooth then they should be cool too

Best job I've ever had

Driver Leader II (Former Employee)

ProsFast paced work makes the day pass quickly. Company policies encourage advancement. Since I been with Swift have received several promotions, annual raises, and bonuses.

ConsHigh turn-over with the drivers, pathetic training for office employees, still uses AS400, and at times it is very difficult to contact people in other parts of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart making training manuals for ECT'S, Planners, and Driver Leaders!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Management in shop

Diesel Technician (Former Employee)
    West Valley City, UT

ProsI enjoyed the work I was doing.

ConsPoor management in the shop created difficult work environment and no room for advancement. Swift/Central merge was not smooth and information was not given to employees. Lost over 120+ hours of PTO when I left after 4 years of service. Did not inform employees they would lose their accumulated PTO when they left after the company merged. All hours are paid at straight time (no time and a half for over time hours worked).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure people have opportunity to advance within the company. Identify poor managers in the shop and keep them from holding good employees back from advancement.

Beginning drivers friendly

Professional Truck Driver (Current Employee)
    Macclenny, FL

ProsHelpful in teaching new drivers how to safely operate tractors and manage loads. Dedicated accounts gives drivers an easy transition into a new job field. The equipment used is normally in good condition and mechanics are readily available for correction after the initial inspection of the vehicle you are driving that day.

ConsThe pay to hours work ratio is not good and don't plan anything for you may not be able to get off to participate. Taking cae of the loads come before taking care of the people.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot as much for management as it is for the Department of Transportation. They need to revisit the hours rules, with the different clocks and dos and don'ts, not sure if it is accomplishing what they thought it was, which is fatigued drivers. We actually have less control over getting rest when the driver really needs it.

OTR burnout.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHad 4 great driver mngrs. Was highly recognized as a 8 yr safe driver. Got plenty of hometime. Was treated well.

ConsNo room for salary growth. 8 yrs later cpm was still at 42cpm. Highest yearly salary I made was 47,000. I left in 2010 and am now employed by MEDLINE as a driver. Home daily, off wknds,holidays with pay.10 vac days after 90dsys in service. All kinds of bonuses. And awesome place to work. My 1'st yr I grossed 64,000. Far outpacing swift. Easy work delivering to hospitals using an electric jack. Extremely friendly coworkers and best boss hands down. I LOVE MY NEW JOB!!! Love being home everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure pay. OTR driving is grueling and creates lots of loneliness and underpay doesn't help.

Great training and advancement opportunities.

Trailer Mechanic (Current Employee)
    Troutdale, OR

ProsAll of my pros and cons are based off of views I have as a mechanic at my shop.

- Great company to start at if you have little to no experience.
    - Swift provides you with the necessary skills, and opportunities to succeed.
    - Good choice of benefits.
    - Supervisors care about your success.

I'll start from the beginning. I started at Swift about 1.5 years ago. The only experience I had was from high school 8 years earlier, in a class that I quite frankly didn't do so well in. During my interview for Swift, they informed me about some advancement opportunities that sounded very good for a motivated individual. Swift hired me as a 3MT trailer mechanic. They started me off learning the basics of course. But as time went on(about 1.5 months later) I dug into the promotional packet I was provided(This is the advancement opportunity I mentioned earlier.) Basically, it's just a packet filled with tasks to be performed. Every time you complete a task, you bring the packet to your supervisor and get it signed off on. The packet has about 3-6 pages of tasks. Once you finish a packet, you bring it to your terminal manager, and he signs off the last page(attendance, safety, etc.) Then he sends it off. About 2 weeks later, a test is uploaded, and you take the test. You have to pass with 80%. If you pass the test, you get a raise of up to $2 per hour, dependent upon attendance, write-ups, etc. $2 an hour may not seem like much, but think of it in the long term. A full time employee will work 2080 hours a year. So in other words, that's a $4160 raise, minimum. You will work overtime. For a motivated individual, this is a fantastic opportunity! You can complete 2 packets per year(Until you have reached the top of the ladder.) In the first 11 months I worked for this company, I completed 2 packets and passed both tests. That, along with your annual increase, you can potentially get $10,000 a year in raises, and possibly more since I didn't include bonuses. In the end, this is an opportunity that you would have to be stupid not to take advantage of, which I see a lot of. There a are a lot of people that just set their packet in their tool box and never even consider it for one reason or another. But considering that whether you finish the packet or not, you will be doing the same exact work. So why not make more money to do it? That is why I said the packets are for motivated individuals. It's 100% up to you where you want to end up.

I won't cover benefits too much, but they do have some pretty good choices. They have medical, dental, vision, hearing, 401k with company match, 2 annual bonuses, etc. Each category has 3 or so levels of coverage to choose from depending on how much you want to pay, and the level of coverage you want.

Supervisors do seem to care about your success. They want you to learn and advance. Some push you to advance, and complete packets. They are always there to assist you and provide you with their knowledge and better ways for you to complete a task, which will bring me to my last point.

My last point will be part of the pros and cons. As my terminal manager informed me, this is an industry based off of opinions. Everybody has their own, and there are times that this is good, and times that this is not so good. There will be times that your opinion is overshadowed. As long as the outcome is safe and legal, there are usually no problems. The good side is that your are at most times your own boss, and you call the shots on how you want to perform the task at hand(As long as you are safe!)

ConsLower compensation than most other companies.

At this point I really enjoy my job, and the cons that I have are very small. Most likely only cons relating to my particular shop, and nothing really worth noting. It is very dirty work, but that is what you sign up for.

Not what you're expecting

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsMost people are friendly, funny, and great co-workers. That's about all I can say for this job...

ConsCan't say anything that hasn't already been said. Co-workers are fine (most of them, others are lucky Swift doesn't fire anyone). But, let me tell you that the real culture of this company is that everyone hates their job, they show up for EXACTLY their shift, and when their time is up the BOLT out the door.

Seriously... most people are gone by 5, but there are still LINES in the parking lot to get out of here. Nobody cares about doing a good job here, they only care about making it to the weekend.

Worst job ever... which sucks, because I like working in big teams, but Swift is NOT a great atmosphere. It's just depressing here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis isn't 1970 anymore, read a book that came out within the last decade about why people stay at their jobs. Free coffee isn't the answer... powered creamer sucks anyway!

Your "book it and figure it out" mentality is pathetic and everyone in the company despises it.

Have to love living in a truck.

Company Driver (Current Employee)
    New Boston, MI

ProsBrand new truck, lots of loads for me to get the miles I want, great health benefits, 34cpm running great lakes regional and Canada. I had a great mentor who really wanted to see me succeed in truck driving. My Driver manager is very supportive and proactive in getting me the miles I want and still gets me home to my family regularly.

ConsSome terminal showers are filthy, the shops don't like to fix your truck the correct way. Some DM's dont care about their drivers and are very rude and arrogant. Working with after hours dispatch in Memphis is like talking to a rock. Drivers lounge looks like a homeless shelter.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the terminals look better, the showers could at least have tile in them and look like a pilot or loves shower. Make you Drivers leaders get out and drive OTR once or twice a year to help them understand the challenges we go through daily!! Treat your drivers with the respect they deserve and listen to them.

Richard Stocking - YES, your company is too big!

Office Staff (Current Employee)
    West Valley City, UT

ProsCoworkers are awesome in the office.

ConsThis list is going to be long-

-Swift has taken away many of our capabilities to do our jobs efficiently. As a result, drivers are more angry than ever. We no longer have the capability to accurately predict how much freight we need for the amount of trucks coming into the areas. We no longer have the capability to quickly and accurately find trailers for the drivers.

-Perhaps the most frustrating is Swift's gigantic bureaucracy that has a nasty habit of 'passing the buck' to another vague department that no one knows the true purpose of.

-Swift has proven time and again that they do not understand specialty freight, and no one is listening when we express our concerns. For example, when we first merged over we requested a macro to be created for yard checks so we could monitor fuel and temperature levels. Swift promptly denied us saying that the requested macro was 'not necessary for the business'. In the past few months we've paid several hundred thousand in OS&D claims due to trailers running out of fuel and spoiling freight. Still, no one listens.

-From a planning standpoint, Swift's grading system makes no sense. The planner scorecards do not care about deadhead mileage. They only score on how often planners use the computer's recommendations to match trucks with loads. This is a system that can be manipulated to show flawless performance. The recommendation system only gives a mere 500 miles per day to most teams, requiring the planners to manually plan on an ANCIENT system to get drivers the miles to pay their bills.

-We've had several office staff hospitalized from the stress since we were merged. And I do mean several.

-Swift and their COO Richard Stocking require us to attend something called 'Swift University'. This has got to be the biggest waste of company money I have EVER seen. I was required to attend online classes for what was called a 'leadership training'. One of the courses was, literally, a documentary about the Secretariat-the race horse. With nothing at the end to translate it to how it helped me become a leader. The next video was a montage of inspirational speeches from sports movies. Swift has several thousand office staff that were required to take this course. Assuming everyone makes $10-$18 an hour, and that everyone spent the three hours taking this course, Swift spent an estimated $90,000-$162,000 to show it's office workers a documentary about a racehorse.

-AS400 is ancient. SO ancient. It was written in 1988. The mouse was invented in 1992. The outdated computer system requires exponentially more keystrokes than any other system in the industry. Several office staff have reported severe pain related to carpal tunnel syndrome.

-Drivers aren't making money. They are being VERY nasty to the office staff. There's only so much we can do when our hands have been zip-tied behind our backs and we're forced to bob for apples to get our basic duties done. We're doing three times the footwork and only capable of accomplishing 25-50% of what we were doing before. We've had to hire more office staff to keep up with the demand, and we're still struggling to push our numbers up to what they were before the merger.

-Benefits are some of the worst I've ever seen. Insurance refuses to pay a dime till the deductible has been hit. There are much better insurance plans out there people. Don't be disillusioned thinking that Swift has a good insurance plan. It's only useful if you have a catastrophic accident. In the mean time you'll have to pay a fortune to maintain your good health.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade your computer program and lay off half your office staff. It's that simple. Let people with real skill make your company and drivers money. Trim the fat.

Worked for Swift Transportation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Swift Transportation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Swift Transportation CEO Jerry C. Moyes. All 95 reviews posted anonymously by Swift Transportation employees.