Swift Transportation

Updated February 27, 2015
2.8

Swift Transportation CEO Jerry C. Moyes
Jerry C. Moyes

Pros
  • My driver manager (leader) was always working hard for me (in 9 reviews)

• Helpful in teaching new drivers how to safely operate tractors and manage loads (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long periods away from home two weeks minimum for over the road drivers, one week for regional dedicated routes (in 6 reviews)

• It's hit and miss with trainers / mentors and Driver managers (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Typical entry level trucking

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Steady pay for steady miles. They will train you.
    Get your training in and get out though, do the year it takes to not owe for your training and leave, because if you so much as do $50 worth of damage to anything they will submit it as a "preventable accident" to your DAC, and it will keep you from being able to leave...

Cons

the pay could be better. The truck shop will often refuse to fix critical items like Air conditioning in the deep south in August. I actually quit because they refused to fix my A/C, and refused to assign me another truck.

My experince with Swift

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I wish to obtain my C DL with Swift transport as soon as possible I have spoken to Dawn Linville and wish she would contact me at 573 475 0077 asap.

Cons

i want to finish my training at Swift transportation right away

I would like to finish all my CDL training and get my experience thtough Swift Transportation I drive Van or dry box and can drive refrigrated truck also. But I need my CDL for Missouri.

This has been a great experience working with this company.

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time

Pros

Having the opportunity to grow.

Cons

There is no cons to mention.

N/A

Alright, its a great starter company? I don't think it's a good company to be with for 20 years though...

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are new to trucking it is a great company to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Few miles... Not that great on caring for the employees........

Increase wages = people stay longer.. Duh

If your looking for steady work with minimal effort take a look here.

Current Employee - Operations in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Steady and fairly easy work. No training or special skills needed. Easy up scaling in the career path as well as moving around locations.

Cons

swift does not tend to pay market value unless you are coming in with a stellar resume from the outside. Internal candidates will expect 3 percent merit raises and very little bonuses. Operations positions expect a 10-11 hour day. Working weekends and some holidays. Non operations are still 10 hour days if you are salary. Hourly does not apply as they limit paying hourly employees overtime. Management has a very "shrug shoulders" approach to dealing with issues or potential new processes. The upper echelon is very old school and new ideas are said to be championed but are usually brushed aside since that's not the way they were taught. Not for the go getter.

management all the way to executive level have a very old school approach to everything and modern training and skills do not apply here. They also have this "oh well" type attitude to many things so if you're the type that wants answers or results don't hold your hopes too high.

Basic

Former Employee - Company Driver in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Memphis, TN

I worked at Swift Transportation

Pros

Highly attuned to safety. With the right staff at the right terminal, they keep you moving.

Cons

They say you meet with your Driver Manager monthly for a progress review. I have not had one in my time there.
    Maintenance is spotty, depending on which terminal you get serviced at.

Starter company

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Ocala, FL

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large enough to get decent weekly miles . Road tractors are generally later models. Although since turnover is high( most people get 6 months and move on to something better) most of the trucks smell of smoke and other unpleasant smells that the shop won't bother trying to remove. If you're a non smoker good luck getting a truck that doesn't smell of smoke

Cons

You will only be paid for about 80 - 85 percent of the miles you drove. Also the starting pay had been .25 a mile and you get a few raises over a year to be at .32 cpm. After that raises are yearly and to out @ . 38 cpm after 5 years. The trailers take a lot of abuse and you will defiantly be getting repairs made to them about every 3 months. Mainly the pins in the trailer tandoms . Also you will only be getting home about once a month. 3 weeks out with a weekend home.

Have non smoking trucks . Start paying drivers for the miles they drive. Better home time. And value the driver.

It's ok

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Swift Transportation

Pros

They always have freight you can lease a new truck with little effort and make OK money as long as you run hard you will make money

Cons

You pay pump price for fuel and the rebate for fuel is a joke you have to train to make any decent money

Fix the fuel situation

Company driver, Swift

Former Employee - Company Driver in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Portland, OR

I worked at Swift Transportation

Pros

Swift is one of the big 3 trucking firms, along with JB Hunt and Schneider, all of whom have branched out into intermodal transportation. The upside is that there are plenty of loads. It is also possible to achieve small raises and safety bonuses and pay moderate amounts for group health.

Cons

The downside for company drivers is that these three are non-union employers whose pay rates are only average and whose turnover is relatively high as a consequence. Swift hires a lot of younger drivers and so has only an average safety record. Some older drivers leave because they are just not earning the kind of money they used to earn. The bottom line is that it is tough saving up enough to buy your own truck. It could take ten years. They do have a lease program that gives you a buy-out option.

Raise the pay.

Northwest Heavy Haul Driver/ Mentor

Former Employee - Heavy Haul Driver in Sumner, WA
    Former Employee - Heavy Haul Driver in Sumner, WA

I worked at Swift Transportation

Pros

The company treated me well. Local management was involved and concerned about their employees. If I wanted time off all I had to do was request it. They maintained the trucks and trailers well. When I reported to the shop that the truck or trailer needed a repair and they would take care of the problem. Swift is a good place for inexperienced truck drivers, a good place to learn a new career. What most new drivers don't know is what they need to learn because driving a truck is not about driving the truck, it is about everything else. Customer service is the biggest concern, dealing with the shippers and receivers, the cops and the D.O.T. and yes all of the untrained car drivers on the road

Cons

The pay is not adequate for experienced drivers. Hours and almost always a twelve hour night shift and the work revolves around retail store work days so the work was always required 358 days a year.

The pay needs to be substantially increased for driver with more than 2 years experience.