Swift Transportation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Swift Transportation CEO Jerry C. Moyes

Jerry C. Moyes

Pros:
  • "If you get a good Driver Manager, you'll do well"
    in 6 reviews
  • "large freight base with terminals close to home"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long periods away from home two weeks minimum for over the road drivers, one week for regional dedicated routes"
    in 4 reviews
  • "It's hit and miss with trainers / mentors and Driver managers"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Have to love living in a truck.

Company Driver (Current Employee)
New Boston, MI

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time for more than a year

ProsBrand new truck, lots of loads for me to get the miles I want, great health benefits, 34cpm running great lakes regional and Canada. I had a great mentor who really wanted to see me succeed in truck driving. My Driver manager is very supportive and proactive in getting me the miles I want and still gets me home to my family regularly.

ConsSome terminal showers are filthy, the shops don't like to fix your truck the correct way. Some DM's dont care about their drivers and are very rude and arrogant. Working with after hours dispatch in Memphis is like talking to a rock. Drivers lounge looks like a homeless shelter.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the terminals look better, the showers could at least have tile in them and look like a pilot or loves shower. Make you Drivers leaders get out and drive OTR once or twice a year to help them understand the challenges we go through daily!! Treat your drivers with the respect they deserve and listen to them.

Truck Driver with Swift Transportation

Truck Driver (Former Employee)

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey Have plenty of loads, great pay packages, and home time. Plenty of terminals in big city's so always a place to park in most situations.

ConsThere school was a fraud. They could care less about there drivers. You are a number not a name. They have a great room for improvement. They let anybody drive for them and that is a major safety concern.

Swift

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Swift Transportation

ProsThey have good Benefits overall.

ConsThey are not adaptable to diversity.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey only promote people they like or know

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A decent starter company...

Regional Driver (Former Employee)
New Boston, MI

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time for more than a year

ProsThey have plenty of loads to keep you moving. They also have many terminals.

ConsIt's hard to get home time (time off) sonetimes. Also their trucks are very slow. They can can only ho about 62.5 mph...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management needs to give drivers their home time more often.

truck driver working for Swift

Truck Driver (Former Employee)
Mira Loma, CA

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSwift has a very good package ,and there benefits are very good ,One week to start and two weeks for two a years, Personal growth is an opportunity to advanced to management.

ConsMost of my challenges working for swift was getting my load from states to states on time.If the weather permitted and in good condition for my customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare advice about condition about the truck and the road condition an estimated time of arrival point to customer.

You pay your dues starting out But they Train and take Newbies

Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee)
Fontana, CA

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey take the inexperienced. If you get a good Driver Manager, you'll do well. They do their best to match you with a good mentor and if you don't like them you can switch. If you don't like you Driver manager, you can switch. The longer you are with them the better the pay and miles. The Equipment is generally well kept up with little problem getting things repaired at the numerous stops. We had one of their best Driver managers and I joined my husband as a Team after he was with them for over a year. They trained me for free and he was my mentor. The starting pay for us Teaming was not too bad and the driver manager gave us all the miles we wanted while allowing us more together time while on the road (normal teams only get maybe 2 hours of awake time together which can strain a husband wife team without more together time). Our Driver manager was proactive on setting up good loads before he left for the weekends and always went to bat for us with any problems, including finding good trailers for us close by, watching the boards closely for the good runs to come out for us and getting us home when we wanted quickly. It mostly depends on getting a good manager so ask around. Also, we did not have to have a driver manager out of our home town or state. It may have changed but it was allowed when requested.

ConsIf you are stuck needing a load on the weekends and your driver manager didn't work out a load ahead, you'll be hard pressed to get any help from the weekend crew. They are uncaring jerks if you have any problems and it can take hours to days for them to get back to you or act on something. The pay is really poor starting out (after you start on your own for the first 6-8 months). You'll get Short runs, with little pay, u can't afford much home time when it's time your first several months. You have to pay your dues when you are starting out. Regional and set routes are for those who have been their longer and are likable and personable. It's hit and miss with trainers / mentors and Driver managers. Many will complain that the trainer/mentor time is too short, but I disagree somewhat on that. It's not that it is too short, it's that new drivers feel scared and overwhelmed being and having to learn so much more on their own (which is why a good Trainer/ mentor is imperative and a helpful communicative Driver Manager is important). You will come across a lot of idiots and see some disgusting things at times from other drivers. Driving Truck is not as easy or mindless as it sounds to many would be drivers. There is a lot to learn, including laws, rules, weights, math, measures, critical thinking skills, driving, backing, customer service skills, patience, forgiveness, how to drive in different types of weather, some mechanical skills, dealing with stress and sleeping in loud strange places and if you want to team, learning to trust others to drive safely while you sleep and sleeping while moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementPAY THEM MORE so they care about their jobs and YOUR trucks more. Get on the Weekend crew for better driver service. Your employee / income model is awful and offering junk on the road benefits instead of more money to pay their bills does not work to recruit and keep quality drivers and shrink the driver shortage gap.

o/o

OTR Driver (Former Employee)

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time for more than a year

Prosable to schedule home when needed

Consnot enough loads for a team

Advice to Senior Managementget better office staff at some terminals

Shop

Optimization (Current Employee)

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent benefits and PTO. A little under par for the corporate world. Management is pretty laid back for the most part.

ConsAsked to complete projects without the tools needed. Have to constantly fight with the rest of the company like everything is a huge secret when seeking data.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employees strengths and harness those rather then putting employees in a pigeonhole.

Hard work for little money

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Swift Transportation

ProsThey will give just about anybody a job opportunity

ConsStarting out at 25 cents a mile is ridiculous, and it will take a year to get 32 which is outrageous. The trucks are okay, but the trailers are garbage. If your are military looking to start a new career turn away immediately. Crete is a great company with good equipment with very few issues (I am talking about trailers if you ignore this review you will find out what I am talking about). They also support military veterans and have great benefits and pay. Bottom line swift is a garbage company that is based on a tier system and at the bottom is company drivers. You will get the shaft. Do your research and pick anywhere but swift

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the people that work for you instead of screw them over

otr driver

OTR Driver (Current Employee)

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time for less than a year

Prosbenefits are pretty good and most of the employees are nice and helpful and they try to get you home time when you want it. good started company

ConsI have been driving for them for less then a year and am on my 8th truck because they keep breaking down and the truck I have now has been in the shop 4 times for the same thing and it's still not fixed. the pay could be better

Advice to Senior Managementget better trucks and listen to your drivers when they say they are having problems with thier trucks and have the guys in the shop fix it right the first time

Worked for Swift Transportation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Swift Transportation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Swift Transportation CEO Jerry C. Moyes. All 85 reviews posted anonymously by Swift Transportation employees.