Swift Transportation

Updated December 11, 2014
2.8

Swift Transportation CEO Jerry C. Moyes
Jerry C. Moyes

Pros
  • My driver manager (leader) was always working hard for me (in 9 reviews)

• Helpful in teaching new drivers how to safely operate tractors and manage loads (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long periods away from home two weeks minimum for over the road drivers, one week for regional dedicated routes (in 6 reviews)

• It's hit and miss with trainers / mentors and Driver managers (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

good place to work for being a large company

Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Inver Grove Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Inver Grove Heights, MN

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they train there drivers well. and you can advance if you work hard.

Cons

turn the company trucks up from 62mph to 65mph. its not safe to be a sitting duck on the road.

just remember that us drivers at the bottom of the pecking order are the source of your pay.

great company

Former Employee - OTR Company Driver in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - OTR Company Driver in Columbus, OH

I worked at Swift Transportation

Pros

Got to see the country driving for the nations largest trucking company, 45 states in 1 yr.
    paid detention time after 2 hrs.

Cons

Starting pay fresh out of trucking school is .25cpm. After 1 yr driving they or i might have forgot who I was at home terminal

I have no advice for management.. they are good people and I was just doing my job

OTR. Good company to start with

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Have loads so they keep you running. Alot of terminals around the country.

Cons

Don't get home when time off is submitted. Starting pay is very low.

Good Company but weak benefits

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company does a good job working with and developing its people and time off.

Cons

Health benefits are really expensive and although it is a cost an employer should care enough about its employees to make it affordable.

Invest in your employees with there benefits and they will invest more in you. Overall good company.

Large, stable and prosperous.

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Denver, CO

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is very stable and one of the largest carriers in the US. There's always work to be done for the OTR drivers which means all the miles you want. They hire from within and that's not a joke like other companies who claim to then hire a manager from outside applicants when plenty of qualified people were in the current ranks.

drivers experience rapid pay increases if they stick with it. I started at .28/mile and now stand at .36/mi. A considerable amount you can see in your checks.

the harder you work, the more you earn in this company, couldn't be more simple

Cons

There is a high employee turnover rate. New drivers don't last long unless they prove to have the necessary patience and tolerance for long periods away from home in the long term. 1 to 3 months seems to be that period. Keep in mind all trucking industry companies are like this. Really consider if you can handle a month or maybe 2 away from home and missing holidays and important events in your childs life before going to drive trucks.

Always respect your road warriors they are the stones you stand upon.

Keep me rolling and we'll both be happy.

understand your drivers go weeks, even months without seeing home or even prolonged human contact. When they want to go home, its a priority not an option to the driver.

Don't force dispatch between 1am and 5am, this is the most dangerous time to be driving for many reasons including natural human circadian rhythm.

understand drivers need time to stop and use the restroom, eat and stretch. A trip may only take 11 hours, but make sure you incorporate breaks when telling the customer a delivery time.

under the same guidelines understand drivers need to be given a chance to recreate a little. Operating them at the minimum break window for weeks on end will exhaust them and crush morale.

Very rewarding for individuals who bring work ethics and loyalty to the company.

Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Glens Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Glens Falls, NY

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are many reasons to work for this company. One is if you are a new driver starting out you'll get the tools to ensure your future with the company. If your an experienced driver you'll bring your good habits to the company and learn more everyday. The company rewards individuals who work hard to be on time, dedicate themselves to company and road safety. your future can be very bright with swift. To be the best in class a driver needs to bring his or her best abilities with them. Bring above average work standards with you along with a positive attitude and the mind set of Safety First and no excuses except those beyond your control to be a time management and on time professional driver. The company Will hold you responsible for " Power Of One " get to really know what that stands for. After all you are the power of one . It's your professional accountability and actions that Will proactively prevail your career with the company. The company gives you all the tools to succeed. It will be your actions and professional attitude along with your power of one that will build your career or end your career with the company. After all we are grown men and women in which I would want to think of as we all strive to be the best in class at all we do in life.

Cons

The only issues that a driver would have is if the driver couldn't take responsibility for their own actions. It's easy to blame a company or a person for things that a driver could of changed before hand. A great man in corporate videos taught me something very valuable. "The power of one" think about what that says to you ? This applies to all aspects of human life decisions. We are power of one. Choices we all have. You need to ask yourself each and everyday. What decisions will I make today to reflect my future for a better tomorrow ??? Come to the company for a career bring great safety and work ethics and I will tell you there will be no cons to this amazing company. It's big enough to take on the entire world for transportation needs. However it's small enough to Remember the drivers and all employees names who dedicated themselves to be the best in class. This I promise to you. Thank you. Remember no company owes you anything. You owe it to your company to bring and maintain your best.....

To always treat each other as if all are best in class. To communicate with each other rather than communicate at each other. Just to be clear the company dosent practice this behaviour. I'm just adding this as a general statement for all companies out there..

Truck driver

Current Employee - OTR Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Driver

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to get hired on out of school

Cons

No good pay for what you go through

Pay better

Drivers never get home

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, great for new drivers. The pay was standard for a new driver. Able to choose home base.

Cons

Drivers rarely get home, picked west coast home base, spent all my time on east coast. Had problems with truck that never got fixed. Finally got fed up and left. It may be better now.

What to expect as an OTR driver

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Mira Loma, CA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Mira Loma, CA

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No work commute. Very little social interaction. You set your work hours, so long as there isn't a 12hr lapse. If you work like a slave, they will give you a new truck with small amenities, like a built-in fridge. Very quick pay promotion, after 3 months I was making second to highest tier pay; which is platinum driver, bonus per miles is a couple of cents more per miles, paid quarterly. As a company driver you have no concerns other than immediate issues. I felt like my own boss because my driver leader left me alone for the most part. Best part of this job is the flexible work schedule, you work for 2 weeks, then you can go anywhere and take as much time off, but you have to return the truck; means moving out. If you hate your family, you won't have to see them, ever if you so choose. A truck with a sleeper cab is an apartment without a bathroom or running water and electricity. They do allow you to idle the truck under 50%; whatever 50% means. If you don't have a house, this is your new living place and you will actually make a little money.

Cons

Company's union free and proud to be, constant brain washing and misinformation. You are provided an option to buy their healthcare plan, which isn't much cheaper than market prices but they call it benefits. They run a charity to promote good-will and gain PR, except the majority of the money is funded by drivers like yourself; slogan is "making people's lives better" with your money. Job requires certain tools, like a broom and vice grips, but they will not issue them, but they will give you load locks which you use once and you can throw away; which I never did but they don't take them back so I ended up leaving them in trailers because the truck can only hold 4. Despite getting you where you want to go, they will mostly send you where they need you, if you don't go, you will sit idle because they will break you by starving you; some guy sat at Phoenix terminal for 2 weeks waiting to go home, hadn't driven more than 200 miles before wanting to quit. I like this company but I refuse to work for food. If you like to work, that's all you will be doing unless you're one of those people who don't require 8hrs of sleep.

Get rid of driver leaders if you don't actual give them any authority to do anything. Promoting union free work place is great for the uneducated that you can fool, but those are the ones you will keep. Perhaps this is just me, but stop thanking drivers for what they do all the time and thank us by paying us a fair wage in comparison to company earnings. You can't buy people's loyalty with company picnics. I would like to see the return of a Christmas bonus, if the company does well they should share that profit with everyone, not just the CEO. And for God sake please clean up the terminal yards by getting rid of all the unused trailers, send them to recycling.

Some Mentors Not Good at Mentoring

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Better than C.R. England, better pay, cares more about drivers. More terminals, management better, communication okay. Driver manager apologized for mistakes. Pays for orientation unlike England.

Cons

Mentor slept while I was driving, got upset because I couldn't make a u-turn because another truck was blocking the on ramp. Got mad and dropped me off at terminal, after threatening to throw me out in the middle of no where. Haven't gotten a new mentor in over a week.

Hire REAL mentors, not just people looking to earn big money!