Swift Transportation

Updated January 23, 2015
2.8

Swift Transportation CEO Jerry C. Moyes
Jerry C. Moyes

Pros
  • My driver manager (leader) was always working hard for me (in 9 reviews)

• Helpful in teaching new drivers how to safely operate tractors and manage loads (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long periods away from home two weeks minimum for over the road drivers, one week for regional dedicated routes (in 6 reviews)

• It's hit and miss with trainers / mentors and Driver managers (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Cheap & Terrible Company

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Swift Transportation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They pay for your bus tickets to get to locations.

Cons

They include hidden charges such as lodging, food, fees, and the recruits lie about anything and everything they can just pull you in. I do not suggest working for this company, long hours cheap pay not worth the time as a army veteran don't look for a position with this company.

Teach your recruiters to do their job, dont be cheap, be more respectful.

A good company to work for.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Corinne, UT
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Corinne, UT

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The dedicated fleet for Walmart is a good pay and had steady work

Cons

Swift has a poor safety rating, which means you get pulled into the Ports often.

More balanced work-life balance

There ok

Current Employee - Driver Owner Op Trainer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Driver Owner Op Trainer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

as an owner OP bring my truck from another company they where good about helping me with repairs

Cons

there crazy phone policy if the dot says it ok to use blue tooth then they should be cool too

My time at Swift was horrible, who can survive on $500 bucks a week, total bs.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Sumner, WA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Sumner, WA

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ha ha, jokes on you, there aren't any good things things about Swift, I guess it beats being homeless because your truck gives you a place to sleep.

Cons

Everyday is a challenge, getting fuel, not going over 62 mph, or sitting around for days(4) to be exact and that wasn't because of a 34 hour restart, driver managers unhelpful, it sucked.

The idea that you save money by not paying Drivers what they are worth is foolish, and that's why Swift has such a high turnover rate, unacceptable for a company that makes as much money as Swift does but oh well, hey maybe they'll get the idea when the ceo has to jump in a truck.

OTR burnout.

I worked at Swift Transportation

Pros

Had 4 great driver mngrs. Was highly recognized as a 8 yr safe driver. Got plenty of hometime. Was treated well.

Cons

No room for salary growth. 8 yrs later cpm was still at 42cpm. Highest yearly salary I made was 47,000. I left in 2010 and am now employed by MEDLINE as a driver. Home daily, off wknds,holidays with pay.10 vac days after 90dsys in service. All kinds of bonuses. And awesome place to work. My 1'st yr I grossed 64,000. Far outpacing swift. Easy work delivering to hospitals using an electric jack. Extremely friendly coworkers and best boss hands down. I LOVE MY NEW JOB!!! Love being home everyday.

Restructure pay. OTR driving is grueling and creates lots of loneliness and underpay doesn't help.

Best job I've ever had

Former Employee - Driver Leader II
    Former Employee - Driver Leader II

I worked at Swift Transportation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced work makes the day pass quickly. Company policies encourage advancement. Since I been with Swift have received several promotions, annual raises, and bonuses.

Cons

High turn-over with the drivers, pathetic training for office employees, still uses AS400, and at times it is very difficult to contact people in other parts of the company.

Start making training manuals for ECT'S, Planners, and Driver Leaders!

Beginning drivers friendly

Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Macclenny, FL
    Current Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Macclenny, FL

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helpful in teaching new drivers how to safely operate tractors and manage loads. Dedicated accounts gives drivers an easy transition into a new job field. The equipment used is normally in good condition and mechanics are readily available for correction after the initial inspection of the vehicle you are driving that day.

Cons

The pay to hours work ratio is not good and don't plan anything for you may not be able to get off to participate. Taking cae of the loads come before taking care of the people.

Not as much for management as it is for the Department of Transportation. They need to revisit the hours rules, with the different clocks and dos and don'ts, not sure if it is accomplishing what they thought it was, which is fatigued drivers. We actually have less control over getting rest when the driver really needs it.

Overworked and underpaid

I have been working at Swift Transportation

Pros

There is not a lot of pros here. Only pro is traveling occasionally

Cons

Salary is much lower than other carriers. Prepare yourself to work more than what they tell you. No communication whatsoever. It's a sink or swim mentality

Pay employees accordingly

The Best in class

Current Employee - Professional Driver
    Current Employee - Professional Driver

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

So far so good ib dont have any complaints right now. Best in Class

Cons

There trucks are slow, and not enough ho6me time

Not what you're expecting

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most people are friendly, funny, and great co-workers. That's about all I can say for this job...

Cons

Can't say anything that hasn't already been said. Co-workers are fine (most of them, others are lucky Swift doesn't fire anyone). But, let me tell you that the real culture of this company is that everyone hates their job, they show up for EXACTLY their shift, and when their time is up the BOLT out the door.

Seriously... most people are gone by 5, but there are still LINES in the parking lot to get out of here. Nobody cares about doing a good job here, they only care about making it to the weekend.

Worst job ever... which sucks, because I like working in big teams, but Swift is NOT a great atmosphere. It's just depressing here.

This isn't 1970 anymore, read a book that came out within the last decade about why people stay at their jobs. Free coffee isn't the answer... powered creamer sucks anyway!

Your "book it and figure it out" mentality is pathetic and everyone in the company despises it.