Swifto Dog Walking

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014
3.6

Penina First

I lost 20 pounds from this job!!

Former Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I didn't think about it when I first signed up, but it's actually a ton of exercise. Just from doing the dog walks, and being on your feet for so many hours a day, I literally lost over 20 pounds:)
    Then there is the social aspect of it, everyone talks to you when you're with a dog, which is a lot of fun, and, of course, the dog aspect of it, I mean, who doesn't want to be around dogs all day?

Cons

Honesty, nothing I can think of at the moment, except maybe that you have to be strong, since some dogs do pull on the leash...

I would love to be more involved and know the other dog walkers better. Can we maybe have another fun event some time soon?

good

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking

Pros

nice people are very nice

Cons

nothing is wrong here and its great

Shows some promise... but falls flat in crucial areas

Former Employee - Dogwalker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Dogwalker in New York, NY

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking

Pros

The pros are that the people working in the office are friendly, the work if fairly straight forward, and the app is actually pretty cool. I've done dog walking in the NYC area before and didn't think I would actually like using a tracking app but it makes a lot of things easier when dealing with clients.

Cons

I no longer work with Swifto because the money just wasn't there. I've worked at 3 other petsitting agencies in NYC and Swifto, despite their big corporate persona, pays the least. For comparison - a small catsitting agency pays $17 per 30 minutes plus $5 extra on holidays. Another dog/cat sitting company pays $12 but $22 per 30 minutes on holidays, and there are lots of $35 overnights. Swifto, on the other hand, pays $12 for 30 minutes for a dog walk and no holiday pay. It is also very hard to get a schedule centralized in one general area of nyc, which means that in order to get more walks, you will be going from the Bronx to Wall Street, to the East Side, etc. So it basically boils down to $12 per hour or less. And I repeat, NO holiday pay. This is NYC. People will pay for the service, don't be afraid to either raise your prices or give the employees a larger share. Standard holiday fee for NYC is $5-$10 solely for the walker. For a company that wants "World Domination" as they say, they really need to get on par with appropriate pay or walkers will either stay independent or go elsewhere.

Please look at more established companies in the area and how they compensate their employees. The hours you expect employees to be available coupled with the dismal pay is absolutely not sustainable.

This is basically a high tech dog walking job

Former Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy using the dog walking app. Yes, it might seem weird, since why will I want to use an app that tracks my location? but I actually really enjoy it. I know that both Swifto and the client know that I'm doing a great job, and it gives me satisfaction. Also, all the dogs I've walked, were so so cute and friendly, all they wanted to do was play, so it's really great to be around such happy dogs like that...

Cons

I recently had to go through surgery, and although I was nearly healthy, I still couldn't walk that many hours a day, so if you're not 100% in shape, this isn't the job for you...

Maybe make a sweater for the winter?

love being a dog walker

I have been working at Swifto Dog Walking

Pros

I liked how they're flexible and allow you to take on any specific dog walking job that meets your schedule, so that I don't fell like they "own" me like in some of the other dog walking companies. Also the office team is really nice and always friendly so it's a pleasure to stop by. Plus, I'm playing with dogs all day, so what can be better?

Cons

Sometimes it gets a bit lonely. I would love it if the management focus a bit more on making it a community for the dog walkers. I do get to know them sometimes, but I would love to have more activities with my fellow dog walkers...

Expand into NJ, I keep getting questions about that...

Fun, yet professional environment

I have been working at Swifto Dog Walking full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everybody in Swifto is very friendly and really listens to you and what you have to say.
    I found the management to be very open to new ideas and they have regular meetings where everyone's opinion was heard. (the dog walkers opinions too, though those not that often)
    There is also a lot of action and fun going on, there is always a social event or an annual summer camp to which everyone (including the dog walkers themselves) are invited.

Cons

Some people may find it a bit stressful, but only if you're the type of person who isn't goal oriented or driven enough.

The recent replacement in management was a great move. Keep having feedback meetings with employees, consider having the dog walkers more involved in those as well.

Mar 22, 2014CEO and Founder

I'm so glad you enjoy your time at Swifto! Employee satisfaction is one of our top goals..

Worst job I've ever had

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking full-time

Pros

Most of the workers were very passionate about what they were doing.

Cons

For a startup, they weren't really open to new ideas. Senior management was incompetent and did not know how to manage or measure performance. You were expected to work LONG hours and my refusal to do so led to contempt from upper management. It was an uncomfortable environment for me and I am glad that I moved on to another job.

Also, while I was there, many employees were working full time without pay. They called this a "trial" period. Though I was not one of these employees, this was an unfair circumstance and they were taking advantage of these employees by having them work on the production system without pay.

Mar 22, 2014CEO and Founder

I'm sorry to here you didn't enjoy your time at Swifto.

There was a period of time when we were paying employees by the hour and so everyone wanted to work many many hours. I wouldn't say this
    ... More

Great Concept, Terrible Office Environment

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking full-time

Pros

The idea of a smartphone app for dog walking is great, everything about the product is solid.

Cons

There is a lot of shady behavior that occurs in the office. People go behind each others' backs as soon as someone has an opinion that doesn't sync up with the upper management. As far as hiring new walkers, they'd rather just bring on as many as they can without fully considering if the walker is truly qualified. Oh, and pay? Forget it. The meager amount of money one makes while working there is definitely not worth the treatment received by upper management.

Mar 22, 2014CEO and Founder

This problem was addressed when our Previous CEO quit. I'm sorry to hear this was the case.

I absolutely LOVE Swifto! :)

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really loved working with Swifto. There are many development and growth opportunities, both professionally and personally. Swifto is a company where you can take your own initiatives, be creative, take on many responsibilities, learn new things and where your opinion matters.

The best part with the company is the team. Great minds working together in a wonderful environment and lovely atmosphere. Everyone is always there for you, if you ever need help. They are supportive and encouraging. I will really miss the Swifto team.

Cons

Don't really have any cons. I guess it depends on what kind of person you are and what environment you are looking for. If you prefer a more corporate company then this is not a place for you. But if you like more freedom and are looking for a place where you can use your creativity, then this is definitely a company for you :)

Keep up the good work! :)

Mar 22, 2014CEO and Founder

I"m glad you enjoyed your time at Swifto and grew so much while being here:)

The most innovative, fast growing, successful company I was ever in.

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Swifto is an amazing environment to be at. You really get to learn a lot of things about growing a business, about startup culture, and about being focused no matter what position you're at.

It's a fun workplace, everybody is really friendly and you get stock options so you basically share the success of the company.

Cons

It might take a while to get used to the fast paced environment, and how fast things move there, but once you start getting it, you really enjoy it.

Keep doing what you're doing!