Swifto Dog Walking Reviews

Updated April 1, 2015
16 reviews filtered by
4.0
Penina First

1. Swifto is the kind of company that any dogwalker could hope for.

Former Employee - Dog Walker
    Former Employee - Dog Walker

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking

Pros

I really appreciated the individual walks policy, the support and communication from HQ, the app is great, and of course the job itself is very rewarding by building bonds with the pups!

Cons

I had to travel all over the city, instead of one area, although I started concentrating on accepting jobs in one area which over time would have worked out great, alas, I developed sciatica and had to quit before this was fully realized.

Advice to Management

If it hasn't already been implemented, it would be beneficial to get walkers located into one area. In the orientation, mention to new walkers the value of waiting for jobs in one location.

2. Love spending time with both the humans and the dogs:)

Current Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY

I have been working at Swifto Dog Walking part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Swifto is really professional and organized, I love knowing exactly what I have to do, what times I have to walk the dogs, and the tips they give me for actually caring for the dogs..

Cons

It gets a bit cold in the winter...

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I hope to be here for another 10 years at least.

3. I'm really happy working with Swifto. I've been working with them for over a year, and I love the job.

I have been working at Swifto Dog Walking (More than a year)

Pros

The point that they have their own application for dog walking really helps, it makes your job a lot easier. Other great things are the coworkers, the other walkers and the staff in the office. The atmosphere is great. You can see they are very passionate about what they were doing.

Cons

Just make sure you have a good coat and a pair of comfortable boots, so you don't freeze in winter. Rain boots and snow boots are also a plus.

Advice to Management

Keep warm in winter! And wear comfortable clthes and shoes.

5. good

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking

Pros

nice people are very nice

Cons

nothing is wrong here and its great

6. Shows some promise... but falls flat in crucial areas

Former Employee - Dogwalker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Dogwalker in New York, NY

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking

Pros

The pros are that the people working in the office are friendly, the work if fairly straight forward, and the app is actually pretty cool. I've done dog walking in the NYC area before and didn't think I would actually like using a tracking app but it makes a lot of things easier when dealing with clients.

Cons

I no longer work with Swifto because the money just wasn't there. I've worked at 3 other petsitting agencies in NYC and Swifto, despite their big corporate persona, pays the least. For comparison - a small catsitting agency pays $17 per 30 minutes plus $5 extra on holidays. Another dog/cat sitting company pays $12 but $22 per 30 minutes on holidays, and there are lots of $35 overnights. Swifto, on the other hand, pays $12 for 30 minutes for a dog walk and no holiday pay. It is also very hard to get a schedule centralized in one general area of nyc, which means that in order to get more walks, you will be going from the Bronx to Wall Street, to the East Side, etc. So it basically boils down to $12 per hour or less. And I repeat, NO holiday pay. This is NYC. People will pay for the service, don't be afraid to either raise your prices or give the employees a larger share. Standard holiday fee for NYC is $5-$10 solely for the walker. For a company that wants "World Domination" as they say, they really need to get on par with appropriate pay or walkers will either stay independent or go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Please look at more established companies in the area and how they compensate their employees. The hours you expect employees to be available coupled with the dismal pay is absolutely not sustainable.

7. I lost 20 pounds from this job!!

Former Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I didn't think about it when I first signed up, but it's actually a ton of exercise. Just from doing the dog walks, and being on your feet for so many hours a day, I literally lost over 20 pounds:)
    Then there is the social aspect of it, everyone talks to you when you're with a dog, which is a lot of fun, and, of course, the dog aspect of it, I mean, who doesn't want to be around dogs all day?

Cons

Honesty, nothing I can think of at the moment, except maybe that you have to be strong, since some dogs do pull on the leash...

Advice to Management

I would love to be more involved and know the other dog walkers better. Can we maybe have another fun event some time soon?

8. This is basically a high tech dog walking job

Former Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy using the dog walking app. Yes, it might seem weird, since why will I want to use an app that tracks my location? but I actually really enjoy it. I know that both Swifto and the client know that I'm doing a great job, and it gives me satisfaction. Also, all the dogs I've walked, were so so cute and friendly, all they wanted to do was play, so it's really great to be around such happy dogs like that...

Cons

I recently had to go through surgery, and although I was nearly healthy, I still couldn't walk that many hours a day, so if you're not 100% in shape, this isn't the job for you...

Advice to Management

Maybe make a sweater for the winter?

9. love being a dog walker

I have been working at Swifto Dog Walking

Pros

I liked how they're flexible and allow you to take on any specific dog walking job that meets your schedule, so that I don't fell like they "own" me like in some of the other dog walking companies. Also the office team is really nice and always friendly so it's a pleasure to stop by. Plus, I'm playing with dogs all day, so what can be better?

Cons

Sometimes it gets a bit lonely. I would love it if the management focus a bit more on making it a community for the dog walkers. I do get to know them sometimes, but I would love to have more activities with my fellow dog walkers...

Advice to Management

Expand into NJ, I keep getting questions about that...

10. Fun, yet professional environment

I have been working at Swifto Dog Walking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everybody in Swifto is very friendly and really listens to you and what you have to say.
    I found the management to be very open to new ideas and they have regular meetings where everyone's opinion was heard. (the dog walkers opinions too, though those not that often)
    There is also a lot of action and fun going on, there is always a social event or an annual summer camp to which everyone (including the dog walkers themselves) are invited.

Cons

Some people may find it a bit stressful, but only if you're the type of person who isn't goal oriented or driven enough.

Advice to Management

The recent replacement in management was a great move. Keep having feedback meetings with employees, consider having the dog walkers more involved in those as well.

Swifto Dog Walking Response

Mar 22, 2014CEO and Founder

I'm so glad you enjoy your time at Swifto! Employee satisfaction is one of our top goals..

Worst job I've ever had

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking full-time

Pros

Most of the workers were very passionate about what they were doing.

Cons

For a startup, they weren't really open to new ideas. Senior management was incompetent and did not know how to manage or measure performance. You were expected to work LONG hours and my refusal to do so led to contempt from upper management. It was an uncomfortable environment for me and I am glad that I moved on to another job.

Also, while I was there, many employees were working full time without pay. They called this a "trial" period. Though I was not one of these employees, this was an unfair circumstance and they were taking advantage of these employees by having them work on the production system without pay.

Swifto Dog Walking Response

Mar 22, 2014CEO and Founder

I'm sorry to here you didn't enjoy your time at Swifto.

There was a period of time when we were paying employees by the hour and so everyone wanted to work many many hours. I wouldn't say this
    ... More