SwimOutlet.com Reviews

2.4
Avi Benaroya

1. Stepping stone

I worked at SwimOutlet.com part-time

Pros

If you're in college, this is an great gig. If you're a new grad, this is a good gig. If you're stuck in hospitality/trade/retail and are looking to pick up some admin or Zendesk experience, this is your ticket. I was working retail, and wanted to transition to some sort of desk job, so I think this was great experience for me. I got the CS/Zendesk experience I needed and got out as soon as I was able to; I recommend this for others in my position. I would even recommend someone who might make more hourly (bartender, waiter, etc) to work here so they can have the experience and move up.
    I appreciate the healthy offerings here: There are fitness classes offered everyday (you must clock out to take them) and there is a gym and showers on premises. The gym could use some major cleanup and overhaul, but I appreciated having a cable machine and some free dumbbells. The kitchen was always stocked with spinach, cereal, milk, hard boiled eggs, oats, and salad items which was great. Lunch was offered twice a week and I actually liked it a lot; I never experienced raw meat and thought there were many great offerings (Costco). The people in my department were very nice; outgoing, welcoming, and helpful. There is a lot of independence in my role which I appreciated, and you get to make your own calls on a lot of things which is great. My immediate supervisor and the CS management team were really helpful.

Cons

I'll go ahead and address what everyone else has already brought up:
    1) Opportunity for advancement: There is no opportunity for advancement here. People have had the exact same job titles (albeit with increasing responsibility and same pay...) for SEVERAL years. Promotions are absolutely unheard of, and senior level management belongs to the CEOs' friends and family. Raises only seem to happen several years into it with employee prodding, and are apparently only a few cents.
    2) Poor compensation and benefits: Compensation is below average, considering that the majority of customer service has bachelor degrees, and these are 9-5 office jobs. There are a lot of people who have the same qualifications and skill sets that work retail jobs for less with unreliable hours and schedule though, so that's something to consider. It's just odd to have a desk job with this much responsibility and independence with such low pay. Benefits are meager, although there have been some small improvements.
    3) Nepotism: Again, all senior level management were college buds with CEO. Because no one gets promoted, you have a people who have been working here for many years swimming amongst a bunch of revolving door folks. There's an unspoken understanding that lifers can take more breaks, longer breaks, work offline, and socialize without consequence while newbies have their every move monitored. Honestly, it's the least that can be done as these people have invested so much of their time here.
    4) Office Equipment: The only thing worse than the chairs and desks are the actual computers. They're old and unreliable, and the headsets are constantly breaking. The software that's used has been hacked so badly that simple order placing takes easily 12 more keystrokes and steps than it should. The sales have outgrown the program, yet there's no movement in investing in another package. Servers routinely get overwhelmed, which is a horrible experience for the customer. The instant messaging software used also crashes constantly, and makes communicating with others extremely difficult.
    5) Other things to mention: Cutting corners is the name of the game here, and it's pretty exhausting. The warehouse is in Ohio, the software engineers are more than half a day ahead in Vietnam, and then there's another Canadian customer service team that steps in at night. You wouldn't think this would bother you, but it's hard to help the customer when there's all these other people in different time zones that are involved. Training is unnecessarily long and expensive, and that could easily be fixed by purchasing new software and retaining employees that have accumulated swim gear knowledge over time.
    Location: Lunch is offered twice a week, which is a great perk that I enjoyed.. However, the facility is sort of in the middle of nowhere, with no restaurants in close proximity. You can barely get to Starbucks (closest thing) and back in 30 minutes, and in CS, you don't dare be late or you'll be written up. I list this as a con, but it taught me to be diligent about packing my lunch. Others who work two jobs or are balancing children in their life will be really affected by this, though.

Advice to Management

At some point, it must be cheaper to retain employees than on-board new ones. The high turnover rate is insane, and recruiting, sourcing, sorting, interviewing, and training someone new every three weeks is a pain, slows everyone's workflow, and doesn't contribute to the customer experience. It's very clear what the problem is, it's time to fix it!

2. It's a JOB not a CAREER.

I worked at SwimOutlet.com

Pros

Free lunches, discounts on items

Cons

LOW PAY for the amount of work you do. Customer Service Reps don't get as much credit and recognition for all the crap they deal with. It's a good temporary job for a student, but it's not a career.

3. The VP in the West Chester location makes this place tough to work for. He often only works a few hours a day.

I worked at SwimOutlet.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch sometimes, monthly birthday event and Christmas party

Cons

Nepotism, unless you're related to the owner or a 'friend of the family' then your opportunity for progression is limited.

Advice to Management

There's a reason so many mid to senior level employees have been on mass exodus. Become competitive in wages and work/life balance.

5. Great Company, very low pay

I have been working at SwimOutlet.com

Pros

Bosses Friendly, Free lunch 2-3 times a month, great employee events, great benefits if qualify

Cons

Long hours, low compensation for a lot of work

6. I love working for Swimoutlet.com because the job is easy and there is a great atmosphere.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in West Chester, OH

I have been working at SwimOutlet.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer free lunches a few times a month as well as a free gym membership. They also pay for a couple runs/walks for you to participate in. Most of the employees are extremely helpful and friendly and the job is extremely easy. Management is amazing and they take care of their employees to the best of their abilities. Also, there are opportunities for personal growth if you take the initiative and do your job well. Management will recognize your hard work.

Cons

The pay rate is low compared to similar jobs in the area. There are a few employees who are a pain to work with but you find those kind of people anywhere. Unfortunately, there are a few supervisors and co-workers who pick favorites.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to recognize that the starting wage might be too low for the area and type of work. Employees will be tempted to leave for better, higher paid opportunities. The wage might also make prospective employees not want to take the job. Also, continue to offer the unique incentives that you currently do because that helps make employees feel like the work they do is worth it because the wage is so low. Maybe even look into a few more incentives for your employees or a recognition program directly from management as well as the current program from peers.

7. Good 1st Office job

I worked at SwimOutlet.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunities were great here

Cons

I don't have any here

Advice to Management

None

8. Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newark, CA

I worked at SwimOutlet.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch! We were also able to request our favorite meals, discounts on everything! $500 gift card every November

Cons

There were cliques every where! Depending on who you were, you were able to go to starbucks and take a 20 min break but if you were a new employee you would get written up for doing such things. FAVORITISM, nepotism. When I was interviewed I took the job in hopes of being able to move up however it seemed like close friends and family had already spoken for the positions. Pay was 14 hr/

Advice to Management

I have no advice, it has been so long and the company has expanded so much that I'm sure they are in a much better place.

Short and Simple

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at SwimOutlet.com as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Company looks for you to be very independent with your work task. Make decisions on your own without having to ask a manager or supervisor what you should do. You have your own office space and you do things the best way that is available for you to do.

Cons

Office "cliques" were already established so there wasn't really a warm welcoming from some employees

The Webs Worst Swimwear company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at SwimOutlet.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office Culture: About 98% of the Customer Service floor staff have no actual knowledge about what they are selling. For a company who supposedly specializes in swimwear the most common sports knowledge Customer Service staff has is for Baseball, Football, etc. Senior employee's will advise new hires to 'do what I do... just fake it' if you have any serious product questions.

Management: The current management are actually all former floor staff with no real or previous managerial or supervisory experience. Managers encourage you to be independent for this very reason. It does not build trust in a company when new employees come in with more supervisory experience than the established management and supervisory team.

Call Center/Office Space: You do have a large space to yourself. Computers are outdated and supplies are beyond basic for serious call center work. Chairs are beyond useless. When working in a call center back support is as basic a need as air. and the chairs here are broken, damaged and worn.

Twice a week catered meals: If you like humus and very rare cooked meat you will enjoy this.

Benefits: Basic coverage options.

Wages: $2.00 over the San Jose minimum of $10.00.

Holiday Party: A very fun event and management provides you with a yearly assortment of gifts. What can be very scary is after the party employees will be heard asking how quick they can sell the items online or pawn for cash.

Exercise class's and health focused events: Company does provide various 'health' events. You are expected to take these class's off the clock or during your lunch period. Recently, company had a event were employee's were encouraged to walk for exercise. The problem with that is Customer Service staff are not allowed to leave their cubicles so the majority could not take part as other staff who had free access to walk around the company office.

Cons

Leadership lack any real knowledge on how to lead others or supervise. Which has caused a lack of respect in the eyes of floor staff seeking assistance. Leadership say they encourage independence but will then not educate employee's fully on company polices or department 'rules'. This leads to some employee's being left wanting for decent support to do their jobs properly.

Employee cliques have existed and flourished under the current supervisory and management since all the good supervisory and leadership left around 2012. Those in the popular cliques are given a wide berth to break company rules as they see fit and supervisors work diligently to protect them. These same groups will provide misinformation and harass employees they feel threaten their protected status.

Growth: Practically non-existent within the company.. Most employees tend to leave for other companies within a year as raises do not happen.

Human Resources: They encourage approaching them with concerns but this is a sad ruse. Human Resources works for the company and not the employee so they will assist management in creating a case for your dismissal when told to.

Advice to Management

You know what you are doing. Quit acting oblivious to the truths of what is happening. It becomes sad when management acts friendly one moment then turn into two faced beasts at the drop of a hat.

Good stepping stone, no room for advancement

I worked at SwimOutlet.com full-time

Pros

Swimoutlet.com is a good stepping stone and great place to learn essential skills and experience. Flexible hours and relaxed work environment.

Cons

Only pets of management are ever given promotions and insane raises. They have free lunches and workout classes, but to be honest these are merely illusions to mask the fact that salaries are horrendously lower than industry standard.

Advice to Management

Retain top talent by giving credit when credit is due, and communicate company goals better.

SwimOutlet.com Photos