Swinton Insurance

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
3.1

Christophe Bardet

great company going through a significant period of change so will an even better place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The board keep you fully informed and communicate all plans and reasons for change. Good values and a nice palce to work.

Cons

constant change can be unsettling but understand the need to get this business where it needs to be .

Toxic atmosphere.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The branch colleagues but that is all.

Cons

Having worked for Swinton in excess of five years, the last year of my tenure was unbearable.

I worked in a high street branch and had a number of targets to achieve each month which I did and actually exceeded, compliantly and consistently for a number of years. However, Swinton introduced a new telephony system, similar to that which may be found in a call centre which they use, with great enthusiasm to listen to calls. The call monitoring started at three per week but depending on who they singled out, they would regularly listen to an entire days worth of calls or more. The reason is to ensure that we were pitching all additional products to every client that qualified for them, failing a sale, you must obtain a lead, with the customers consent of course. Swinton are heavy on compliance due to the FCA which I agree with whole heartedly but due to the restrictions placed upon the selling of products, the numbers and sales have fallen. In addition to this, if you are seeing alot of face to face clients, normally with claims queries, you are brought swiftly to task as these clients are non-productive, meaning that they don't bring any income into the business so what does that say about Swinton's customer service values. I understand it may only be certain Area Managers instilling this culture but ultimately, this is down to Swinton as a whole.

The harassment, bullying and intimidation is a common theme in some areas with long tenure staff being singled out, pursued and put onto disciplinaries with many, like myself, choosing to find alternative employment.

There was also a concern in the fact that most new internet business is being housed at the internet division based at head office. In future I can see more branch closures as why have an expensive high street network (that is failing) when you can shift focus to the online aspect.

There are a myriad of issues I had prior to leaving Swinton but aside from that, I felt let down. After working for them and championing their products, building up long term relationships with many fantastic clients and doing my best, it became a terrible place to have to spend eight hours or more per day, to the point I actually dreaded going into work. It was at this point I decided to leave.

Targets I am happy with. Compliance I agree with but bullying, intimidation and threats I will not stand for.

If they would listen to common sense then I'd share some ideas but alas, they are oblivious and seemingly do not care.

Good start, good pay but soon see the companies true colours

Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good money
    Benefits
    Company car option as manager

Cons

Poor Management
    Underhand operations between employees and managers
    Lots of red tape

Inexperienced management with no people skills

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Maidstone, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Maidstone, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, Good Money, and some great benefits ie. pension, dental plan, holiday buybacks, etc.

Cons

Poor management, No chance of Promotion, very little to no training, The agent is made to do the work that team leaders should be, poor customer service as not full focused on improving this or providing training, unnecessary punishment of staff and arguing. Toxic atmosphere.

Learn to do your job as you are not that busy to take care of your team it is sad that you cant manage your time to enable at least one side by side a week for call coaching and a one 2 one once a week. Managers need some training on how to engage there employees and how to manage a team to get the best out of them.

Good people, but infuriating decision-making from the top.

Former Employee - PMO Analyst in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PMO Analyst in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with at Swinton were some of the nicest I've ever met. They were funny, considerate, from a wide range of backgrounds and generally worked very hard. While there were issues, work was clearly being done to improve them, especially around maturity and culture.

Cons

At the point I was working at Swinton (2013), the Business Change Team had grown very rapidly and many of the processes were immature, and not adhered to. Some of the most senior people involved in projects I worked on made short-sighted, knee-jerk decisions which literally cost millions and made life difficult for their teams.

Improve the long-term strategic planning and breaking that down to the level of individual projects. Modernise the office. Improve working flexibility. Stop judging performance by whether someone is at the desk 9-5.

Fantastic experience

I have been working at Swinton Insurance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with a very sociable and friendly team which added to my experience. Very flexible and understanding when catering for work/life balance. High level of professionalism whilst being a very relaxed and enjoyable working enviroment.

Cons

Having only worked with the company for a short period of time I was lucky enough to avoid any negative experiences.

Recruitment

Current Employee - Applications Architect in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Applications Architect in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exceeded my expectations and far outstripped those of other companies to whom I have applied recently.

Cons

None at this stage of the process

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Executive - Call Centre in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive - Call Centre in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive line manager, brilliant team and great colleagues - Swinton people are friendly, supportive, engaging and they play as hard as they work.
    The salary is competetive and the benefits are flexible so each year you can have different one - extra holidays of you need them one year and medical cover the next.
    There's a really great energy in the business and it's evident wherever you go - from Board Directors to front-line sales people.
    There's opportunity for you to move into different jobs and they're keen to promote internally which is brilliant.

Cons

My only gripe is about the number of holidays - 20 per year is the standard and I know I can buy more (up to 10) but it feels a bit basic - 23 would be better.

Keep doing what you're doing - loving the changes and TV advertising and seeing the directors out and about - and there seems to be a really good focus on poeple right now which is postive.

Loved it

Former Employee - Front Line Desk Quote Giver in Devizes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Front Line Desk Quote Giver in Devizes, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incentives for performing well, selling extra's and telephone quotes were randomly recorded, given chances for promotion

Cons

I personally didn't find any cons while working for Swinton

I loved my time with Swinton, I was only young and given the opportunities to promote my career, sadly it wasn't my time

it has so far been exciting yet challenging yet rewarding all at the same time

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the company puts the customer at the heart of everything they do. they have re branded improve collaborated and evolved into a new and improved swinton

Cons

the cons for me are only minor things such as the commuting distance from my house and sometimes how busy it gets and even the workload I have undertaken. but hey I chose my job role

To communicate with team and help further create a home work life balance that is sustainable and allows parents / working mums to remain in work and succeed