Swinton Insurance Reviews

26 reviews filtered by
2.9
Gilles Normand
1 Rating

1. I've enjoyed my time here so far, started working in sales and was able to progress to PMO in head office.

Current Employee - PMO Analyst in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PMO Analyst in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and friendly working environment, they've also started investing in their staff, e.g. professional certifications.

Cons

Salary's in some cases are below market rates, holiday allowance below average (20 days per annum), not much flexibility in working hours.

Advice to Management

Treat internal staff better, there's a massive pay gap between externals & internals.

Sick of being lied to

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Cannock, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Cannock, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues
    Customer Face to Face opportunity helps stay the mundane

Cons

Constant lies, pay freeze, dropping incentives, poor staff welfare concern and feedback,

Advice to Management

None, mostly populated by greedy fools who don't appreciate the ones carrying them

3. Good company to work

Current Employee - C# Developer in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - C# Developer in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance

Pros

I worked here for 6 months. People are very nice, team member quite helpful.

Cons

Contractor opinion is not heard

5. Poor leadership bring down some very good people

Former Employee - Developer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Developer in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some very nice people who tried to care about what they were doing
    No expectation to work late / excessive hours
    Well located head office near train station

Cons

Senior management who seem to have given up caring and make completely illogical decisions
    Most people will only work their contracted hours and not one second more , so deadlines are almost always missed - even management and senior management
    Low staff morale and lots of absence
    Lots of contractors and consultants so often a lack of continuity

Advice to Management

Develop a plan and stick to it and don't keep changing it on a weekly basis
    Stop making what seem like totally illogical decisions without explaining your reasons to the people actually working for you

6. Toxic atmosphere.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The branch colleagues but that is all.

Cons

Having worked for Swinton in excess of five years, the last year of my tenure was unbearable.

I worked in a high street branch and had a number of targets to achieve each month which I did and actually exceeded, compliantly and consistently for a number of years. However, Swinton introduced a new telephony system, similar to that which may be found in a call centre which they use, with great enthusiasm to listen to calls. The call monitoring started at three per week but depending on who they singled out, they would regularly listen to an entire days worth of calls or more. The reason is to ensure that we were pitching all additional products to every client that qualified for them, failing a sale, you must obtain a lead, with the customers consent of course. Swinton are heavy on compliance due to the FCA which I agree with whole heartedly but due to the restrictions placed upon the selling of products, the numbers and sales have fallen. In addition to this, if you are seeing alot of face to face clients, normally with claims queries, you are brought swiftly to task as these clients are non-productive, meaning that they don't bring any income into the business so what does that say about Swinton's customer service values. I understand it may only be certain Area Managers instilling this culture but ultimately, this is down to Swinton as a whole.

The harassment, bullying and intimidation is a common theme in some areas with long tenure staff being singled out, pursued and put onto disciplinaries with many, like myself, choosing to find alternative employment.

There was also a concern in the fact that most new internet business is being housed at the internet division based at head office. In future I can see more branch closures as why have an expensive high street network (that is failing) when you can shift focus to the online aspect.

There are a myriad of issues I had prior to leaving Swinton but aside from that, I felt let down. After working for them and championing their products, building up long term relationships with many fantastic clients and doing my best, it became a terrible place to have to spend eight hours or more per day, to the point I actually dreaded going into work. It was at this point I decided to leave.

Targets I am happy with. Compliance I agree with but bullying, intimidation and threats I will not stand for.

Advice to Management

If they would listen to common sense then I'd share some ideas but alas, they are oblivious and seemingly do not care.

7. Good start, good pay but soon see the companies true colours

Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good money
    Benefits
    Company car option as manager

Cons

Poor Management
    Underhand operations between employees and managers
    Lots of red tape

8. Inexperienced management with no people skills

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Maidstone, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Maidstone, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, Good Money, and some great benefits ie. pension, dental plan, holiday buybacks, etc.

Cons

Poor management, No chance of Promotion, very little to no training, The agent is made to do the work that team leaders should be, poor customer service as not full focused on improving this or providing training, unnecessary punishment of staff and arguing. Toxic atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Learn to do your job as you are not that busy to take care of your team it is sad that you cant manage your time to enable at least one side by side a week for call coaching and a one 2 one once a week. Managers need some training on how to engage there employees and how to manage a team to get the best out of them.

9. Good people, but infuriating decision-making from the top.

Former Contractor - PMO Analyst in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - PMO Analyst in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with at Swinton were some of the nicest I've ever met. They were funny, considerate, from a wide range of backgrounds and generally worked very hard. While there were issues, work was clearly being done to improve them, especially around maturity and culture.

Cons

At the point I was working at Swinton (2013), the Business Change Team had grown very rapidly and many of the processes were immature, and not adhered to. Some of the most senior people involved in projects I worked on made short-sighted, knee-jerk decisions which literally cost millions and made life difficult for their teams.

Advice to Management

Improve the long-term strategic planning and breaking that down to the level of individual projects. Modernise the office. Improve working flexibility. Stop judging performance by whether someone is at the desk 9-5.

10. Fantastic experience

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Swinton Insurance as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with a very sociable and friendly team which added to my experience. Very flexible and understanding when catering for work/life balance. High level of professionalism whilst being a very relaxed and enjoyable working enviroment.

Cons

Having only worked with the company for a short period of time I was lucky enough to avoid any negative experiences.

11. great company going through a significant period of change so will an even better place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The board keep you fully informed and communicate all plans and reasons for change. Good values and a nice palce to work.

Cons

constant change can be unsettling but understand the need to get this business where it needs to be .

Swinton Insurance Photos