Swirl
www.swirl.net San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Swirl Reviews

Updated Feb 18, 2014

Martin Lauber

A unique take on the ad agency model. A growing shop. Genuinely good people.

I have been working at Swirl full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVariety of work, growth opportunity, great people, fun office location

ConsLow client budgets, some management issues

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the process as you continue to grow

Best company I've ever worked for!

I have been working at Swirl full-time for more than a year

ProsI knew the second I walked in the door how special this place was. I just had a "good feeling". You can't always go with that but it's really paid off. I've worked for many big and apparently amazing companies but have never felt at home until now. They have wonderful senior management, talented, genuine and fun people, great clients, and a really rewarding way of doing business. They always focus on the happiness of the people first and then know the rest will follow. Work hard, play hard. You have to be a self-starter here but it doesn't go unnoticed. They promote from within, have a great on boarding process and are privately held which in my mind is a big plus. It will sound crazy if I keep going but just know, this place is the real deal. Everyone actually cares about each other and the agency seems to be really transparent with all the employees.

ConsIt's hard for me to think of any. You have to be proactive. Let people know what you want or else it won't happen. You have to look out for yourself and make sure you're showcasing your talents in the correct way. If you're looking for a place to blend in and go about your work in a mediocre fashion, this is not the place for you. They look for people with an entrepreneurial spirit and that is how you will succeed here. You need to work hard and have a great attitude because anything else won't be tolerated.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. In the past year I have seen tremendous growth and wonderful management of the company. Smart, responsible and fun leaders. You guys are so easily accessible. Doors are open to all employees no matter what your role is. Keep doing that and remind people that this is okay!

An innovative place to work. Topnotch leadership across the agency.

I have been working at Swirl full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFrom the agency partners, media and account to creative, production and human resources, Swirl’s leadership is very strong all around; complete transparency in sharing and discussing the agency’s overall goals and objectives, strategic in the types of projects and clients the agency takes on, and proactive in nurturing the culture that makes Swirl such a great place to work.
Colleagues are smart, creative, collaborative, inspiring and very, very passionate about creating great work and building relationships with clients. There’s great synergy across departments, between colleagues, and throughout all levels --- junior talent to executives—that’s rare in any company. The people have an amazing work ethic and support for one another, and it shows on how the work continues to elevate.

ConsSwirl has experienced rapid growth. And with that growth comes the necessity of certain processes that were not necessary before, be nailed down and implemented across the agency. The sooner these processes are implemented, the better equipped the agency will be operationally in its continued growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep finding the strength within the employees and guiding them, because when they are encouraged and guided by the leadership team, it adds fuel to the passion that’s already there. Keep finding more talent that can add to the diverse expertise at Swirl.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hidden Gem About to Break Through - Filled with Smart, Talented and High Character People

I have been working at Swirl full-time for more than a year

ProsI am an industry vet who has worked at several agencies, big and small, on east and west coasts. Of all the agencies I've been fortunate to be a part of, Swirl is an independent shop that is bringing everything you love from each of those worlds together - starting with the people. High character, talented, smart and passionate people who care about what they do and the relationships they build with their clients. Strive to do great work, attract and keep the best people, go after the best and most appreciative clients - if you strive to these ideals and can bring it, Swirl is the place.

ConsThere have been some natural growing pains, because if it was easy to find high character, passionate, talented people then every agency/company would do that. Part of the growing pains has included training and elevating the work, process and aspirations of the existing employee base to help "awaken" the true potential of their talent and part of it. Part has been putting forth a more discerning eye when hiring talent - finding the holy grail where people-centric culture AND award-winning, results-driven work intersect. As you can imagine, it takes a special blend of person, a self-starter and self-motivator - otherwise one can get a little lost (because there will not be a tyrant Creative Director or Account Director throwing stuff at you).

Swirl continues to step up from agency filled with friendly people who do solid work, to the cusp of something really special - imagine a top shop that is truly collaborative, innovative and doing great work without the egos. Swirl won't remain a hidden gem for too much longer and will serve as proof that great agencies don't have to make sacrifices.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on track, stay flexible, continue to push innovation... Oh... and get better coffee. Please.

Hard workers, extremly clicky work enviornment

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Swirl full-time

ProsHard working people. New ideas. Dedication

ConsThe people who work there are extemly clicky. You have to "get-in" with the right people or else you won't get anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a shot. Talent walks in and out and I think opportunities are based on clicks/what others say more than what the employee has to offer to Swirl. I also think if management was less clicky and didn't choose favorites, it would create a rypple effect within the agency.

A New Taste Sensation

I have been working at Swirl part-time for more than 3 years

ProsDef. Great first Job Experience

ConsNot very organized. Privately Own so you have to fight sometimes for hours

Advice to Senior ManagementExtremely Slow if lazy
Fast if you show motivation and Improvement

Creative, good peeps.

Account Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Swirl full-time for more than a year

ProsNew ideas, fresh concepts, cool culture, great location.

ConsLong hours, thankless clients, demanding account directors, overall lack of appreciation. But that's typical in advertising.

Advice to Senior ManagementA few account directors need to go.....

Great Place to Learn, Poor Leadership, Not Recommended For a Seasoned Creative

Art Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Swirl full-time

ProsLots of projects, ability to experience a diverse range of assignments and clients.

ConsCreative and agency leadership lacks drive to do great work. There is a tremendous amount of uninspired, churn and burn projects. Upper management is completely out of touch with the creatives and there is very little room for career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the creative side of the building. Hire some new creative directors. Keep the current talent you have by paying them well, respecting their contributions, and providing them with the ability to learn from great creative directors.

They try hard but don't quite make it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Swirl

ProsThere are no egos here

ConsStale working environment
I felt very out of the loop while working here

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't seem to value your employees time. No appreciation or rewards for working around the clock. Also, you should really let them drink the diet cokes. They *do* deserve it.

Strong work ethic is mandatory

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Swirl

ProsFun atmosphere. Lots of new, fun ideas. Must have a very strong work ethic to work there.

ConsVery much a sink or swim environment. People are clicky.. Your success depends on the accounts you work on and who likes you.

Worked for Swirl? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Swirl reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Swirl CEO Martin Lauber. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Swirl employees.