Swirl Reviews

Good company

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Swirl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company with great culture, benefits and work life balance. Driven and compassionate leaders who are invested in your professional and personal development. Opportunity for autonomous growth and leadership. Coworkers are talented, good sports and pleasant to work with. You're bound to make some great friends along the way. You're responsible for your own fate, so make sure you make friends at the right places and be prepared to get your claws out when necessary.

Cons

Lean structure. Account folks must be comfortable running their own accounts with little support. There seems to be an over-abundance of mid-level account managers. Can feel like a bro culture and favoritism is ubiquitous. Can do without the internal politics.

Advice to Management

Please keep politics and bad behaviors at bay.

Meh

I worked at Swirl full-time

Pros

Amazing people at Swirl. The team I worked with was smart, talented and the best in the biz. The setting couldn't be more idyllic.

Cons

Poorly managed. Scattered. Overall, it's a juvenal environment, like being in junior high school at times. Cliquey. Compartmentalized.

Advice to Management

Dial back the rah-rah. Less self-indulgence. More transparency. Self-promotion does not equal productivity. .

Account Management

I have been working at Swirl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They really care about their people great office and location easy access to management enjoyable work environment

Cons

lack of creative talent lack of defined process too much pro-bono work lack of diverse clientele lack of account department leadership

5. Great Culture!

I have been working at Swirl full-time

Pros

The culture is amazing and the people are some of the nicest you'll meet. Plus, the location in the Presidio is stunning.

Cons

-Long hours -Disconnect between departments

Squirrels

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Swirl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It gives you a perspective of what not to do. Lots of snacks, beverages and activities to the highest level of distraction so you don't hear that sucking sound in the background. Presidio rocks. Beer on tap.

Cons

Work is soul sucking at best. Long hours with other confused people. Lack of focus, lack of direction for the agency as a whole. There is an almost Orwellian atmosphere of fear in the hallways because you never know what's going on. Everyone in upper management seems nice on the surface, but behind the smiles, you get a sense that they are trying gauge what you would taste like with some fava beans and a nice Chiante. If you'd like your career to join the Witness Protection program - this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Get better clients. Do work that matters and gets noticed. Floss.

Only Partially Impressed

Former Employee - Media in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Media in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Swirl (Less than a year)

Pros

- Nice environment overall. The Presidio is beautiful to walk around at lunch when you can, and the office itself is clean, bright, windows are left open so airflow is great. - Pay was decent

Cons

- Tedious to access and limited places to eat considering getting in/out of the Presidio is so time consuming - My Director was very disengaged and socially awkward. I rarely worked with him - Did not feel there was real interest in growing their people, or at least not as much as I wanted from a company I joined with 3 years experience under my belt. Little direction was provided in terms of goals and expectations, and communication was often unclear when coming from upper management. - I often felt like I was expected to conform to their culture, but that could have just been the team I was working most often with. I had multiple friends in other departments.

Advice to Management

Communication needs to be more consistent and clear. Upper management needs to want to work closely with everyone they hire, not just their favorites. If someone is working more on solo projects, ensure they have the support from upper management to actually get stuff done.

Media

Current Employee - Media Strategist
    Current Employee - Media Strategist

I have been working at Swirl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From my experience, Swirl really does care about their employees, both their happiness and growth. Work hard, treat them well, and you will reap the benefits. Work relationships don't happen overnight and things don't get handed to you undeserved, but then again they shouldn't be. People here like to "work hard, play hard" and you see it everyday. What other agency has: a softball team, bowling league, volleyball team, running club, Combine, ping pong table, library, Makers club, knitting club, the most memorable happy hours (remember that time we had a petting zoo, or threw our very own music festival, Swirlchella?!)? And the list goes on My Supervisors have shown that they care about my personal/professional growth and are always appreciative of the work I do. While there have been some adjustments in the past two years due to the mega growth spurt, management is focusing on making the needed changes to now be a successful 200+ company, while still feeling like the small company they started as. Remaining an independent agency sets Swirl apart from the rest.

Cons

Cons are more apart of the industry: being in client service, there will be some late nights, some stressful deadlines, etc. Mostly, the cons with Swirl are currently being addressed as a part of the growth adjustments: adding additional resources/tools to the arsenal, staffing up, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the happiness of your employees. Recognize those that are loyal and want to grow with the company and continue to invest in them. Don't forget the company you began as.

Solid work, great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Swirl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart leadership, caring co-workers, great benefits, beautiful office. I really enjoy seeing the solid, innovative work that comes out across the board. And it's a nice change to be around inspiring, funny, eccentric, and hands-on hardworking people. From the moment I walked in for my interview, I was sold. I haven't found a company like this in a while and plan to stick around.

Cons

I can't think of any but I would urge them to to continue focusing on the well being of the company and the people after such a big growth spurt. They have done very well and need to continue to keep a close eye on it. Activities, process, protocol, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress and success of our company goals this year. Continue to be transparent about the plans and being so involved.

Can't trust management

I worked at Swirl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice digs, great snacks, awesome parties.

Cons

Life sucking work, on call 24/7, not much in way of growth, most talented and hardest working were often overlooked, laid off on a whim. Account managers have very little experience.

Advice to Management

Have more confidence in your team leaders. Hire account managers with more experience.

Low quality work but fun work environment.

Former Employee - Creative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Creative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Swirl (More than a year)

Pros

The main plus to Swirl is that it is fairly low key and the pay is good. If you are comfortable with low quality work, this will work for you. People are generally friendly. People tend to work here for a long time. The turnover is quite low for industry standards.

Cons

The work is very low end. The company doesn't even bother submitting work for award shows. You can expect to create low end work for boring clients. Lots of direct mail. The owners are so eager to expand business, and they have at an astonishing rate. But this comes at a cost. The creatives are cloistered in a depressing building, while everyone else gets to stay in the nice, sunny building. Management simply wants to keep expanding and take on any type of job, big or small. Enormous company is not impressive when the work is low end and it's not a benefit to having Swirl on your resume.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on taking any kind of work and growing the company - focus on making good work. All of the cocktail parties and free snacks don't compensate for the unsatisfying work.

RSS Feed </> Embed