Swiss Chalet Reviews

CEO

1. Softgel Production Supervisor

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Swiss Chalet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

there is a limited amount of people with softgel experience there for it pays very well

Cons

The hours are usually long and positions are usually very scarce and far away

Advice to Management

I don't know keep your chin up and make lemonade with all of your lemons

2. Good Enough

Former Employee - FOH in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - FOH in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Swiss Chalet part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the location the managers are extremely supportive of each employee Team work is strong Individual duties are clearly assigned Easy going environment

Cons

Employee turn over is high Not enough hours are granted when promised Favoritism, depending on which employee is friends with the manager

Advice to Management

keep work professional and stop favouring others

3. Fun, Fast-Paced, and Motivating

Current Employee - Line Cook
    Current Employee - Line Cook

I have been working at Swiss Chalet part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff there are very friendly and helpful. They love to joke around but whenever needed to (during rush times) they always mean business.

Cons

The opportunity for promotion is available but only either when another employee leaves or based on the hours available to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and strong relationships with employees here. I really like that you lead through example by helping keep us on top of orders during busy times.

Very hostile enviornment

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Swiss Chalet part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers are usually nice, and there are lots of regulars The shifts are short They don't give you very many hours, which is nice if you are a student

Cons

At this location, there is a huge gossip problem. There is animosity between the older employees that have been working there for many years, and the younger employees. Some older employees are very hateful and disrespectful towards the younger employees. Simply because they are young, they are treated as if they can't do anything right, and are constantly talked down to. Management never intervenes in employee conflicts (which there is too much of). Because many of the employees at this location have been working there for longer than the managers and franchise owner themselves, and because it's unionized, managers are basically powerless. So the dining room essentially manages itself according to the hierarchy of who has been working there the longest, even though we all have exactly the same job. It's a very hostile environment. Employees constantly call in fake sick, knowing nothing can be done to them because of the union. They are also quite sexist, I was constantly being called 'beautiful' by the owner, and was always told to 'ask a guy' for help when I was carrying something large. I'm sure not every location is like this, so if you want to work at Swiss chalet just steer clear of this one if you don't like drama and conflict.

Advice to Management

You might want to consider whether or not the way you talk to the young female employees might constitute sexual harassment. Yelling and intimidation are not the best tactics to make people want to do a better job. Don't let the dining room manage itself according to seniority, it is very ineffective! More managers need to be in the dining room helping us when there are dissatisfied customers, and conflicts between servers, or servers and hosts.

6. Hostess

Current Employee - Hostess in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Hostess in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Swiss Chalet

Pros

Nice people to work. Food is oke most of the time.

Cons

Sometimes few hours, No tips, fast paced work

7. Fun Environment, Management Needed Improvement

Former Employee - Server in Georgetown, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Server in Georgetown, ON (Canada)

I worked at Swiss Chalet part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good staff and relaxed environment. Hours are generally light and don't work too late. Improved near the end of my employment there.

Cons

Franchise owner was annoying and it was a struggle to get the supplies we needed.

8. don't be a hostess

Former Employee - Hostess in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Hostess in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Swiss Chalet part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people you work with are amazing, my coworkers were the only reason i stayed for as long as i did (1 year)

Cons

the customers treat employees terribly because this isn't a fancy restaurant. managers are constantly hiring new hostesses and not training them so they have no idea that they are doing and are completely incompetent. the work is physically straining and little compensation is received. hated being a hostess as soon as i started and would not recommend the job to anyone.

9. Sociopath Chalet

Former Employee - Line Cook in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Swiss Chalet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cara discount card which is good for %20 off food at other Cara restaurants.

Cons

The only way you can become a Manager or Franchise owner is if you are a sociopath. The managers set people up too fail constantly. They give little too no training then laugh at you when you fail. Managers are racist and discriminate against Canadian workers. Canadian workers will be given 5 hours too do a shift while a Temporary Foreign Worker will be given a full 8 hours too do the exact same shift. Even the General Manager is a Temporary Foreign Worker.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like Enron! These are psychologically damaging workplaces.

10. Good

I worked at Swiss Chalet part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment. Friendly coworkers

Cons

Management is disorganized with no definite answer for simple things that management should know.

11. Not worth it

I have been working at Swiss Chalet

Pros

Sometimes free food. Usually 50% off. When you're not closing. Friday-Sunday are usually the only busy days. Flexible hours.

Cons

Managers. Closing. Not enough money. The amount of tasks and side duties. Servers are usually two faced. Usually you're always on YOUR OWN. Very little to at least no help from anyone else. If you're a part time or a student you will get paid very low even if you are doing the same jobs as the rest of the employees, specially for students.

Advice to Management

To the managers out there, the same rules you set out applies to you also. Just because your "managing" doesn't mean you try to make everyone your personal assistant. You too need to be living under those rules.

RSS Feed </> Embed