Swiss Colony

2.5

John Baumann

Great second job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Dickeyville, WI

I have been working at Swiss Colony part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This job has a great family oriented atmosphere. The supervisors are very approachable. They make the work fun. You get a discount on the merchandise that we sell. We sell for nine different companies and we are give great discounts, they have pizza parties and opportunities to win "play money" which is used as real money to pay for items that you buy either at their local employee store or through the companies we sell for. They are very flexible with their hours for you.

Cons

This job is not meant to be a full time position and there definitely isn't much room to grow. This position is not a typical 8-4 position, They don't offer medical or dental benefits because your work hours are typically based on the amount of business they get. Usually the holidays or when their catalogs get mailed out is when you get the most hours.

Waste of time for long term career. Old school management will tank your career, self esteem, and efforts.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, WI

I worked at Swiss Colony full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If living in Monroe it is close to work.

Cons

To many layers of confusing, changing and conflicting policies create high stress in the workplace . They can't keep good engineers or proactive maintenance staff that know how to do their job for long term growth. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results which fits this business model. They do this very well.

Promote people with real degrees from accredited colleges and not just your own internal college program.
    Consider unionizing to voice some changes needed in the workplace regarding efficient, safer and less stressful workforce. Workers need ability to voice real concerns without retaliation of unfounded staged discipline write-ups.

Facelift needed.

Current Contractor - Assistant Supervisor in Monroe Center, WI
    Current Contractor - Assistant Supervisor in Monroe Center, WI

I have been working at Swiss Colony as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid benefits and some very nice people.

Cons

Even if you interviewed for a certain job with specific skill set or position, everyone seems to do everyone else's job. Upper management doesn't seem to be bothered by this. You can't go to HR with concerns or you will be targeted. Many insecure people hanging on to old attitudes and ways. No room for growth.

The teams are not very diverse, to "new thinking" or technology. The entire company needs a facelift, starting with the top. But these individuals are close to retirement and they don't seem to care.

No one is on the same page here!

Current Employee - Home Agent
    Current Employee - Home Agent

I have been working at Swiss Colony full-time (more than a year)

Pros

40% discount on food.

Cons

This company is very inadequate. My start date has been delayed 3 TIMES because no one follows-up to make sure they have the CORRECT and CURRENT information from an employee. It's hard for management to complete a task when it comes to processing your information. Communicating with them is difficult. You have to constantly repeat yourself to MULTIPLE channels with the same information. In training they wasted a lot of time fooling around. However they complained about us being behind. HELLO you're running the show! They "claim" we are soft sell company but, 90% of the e-mails are about upselling. Wanted us to go live after 4 days w/o listening to any calls......huh? By far the worse training I've ever experienced! My PSO training was much more professional Also they make you take 12 weeks off but, have a problem with you seeking other employment.Oh yea your hired on as a temp indefinitely however you cannot inquire about advancement. Not a good company to work for, seek employment elsewhere!

Make sure EVERYONE is one the same page. Stop being cheap an update your systems!

good benefits and very community oriented

Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Monroe, WI
    Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Monroe, WI

I have been working at Swiss Colony full-time (more than a year)

Pros

medical plan is very good, they provide 401k match, pension plans

Cons

not a lot of room for advancement. very much about who you know within the community

Getting There...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, WI

I have been working at Swiss Colony full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Genuinely Good People
    Sustainable Business Model
    Community Focused
    Opportunities Exist if you have the Drive

Cons

As some have mentioned, there is little turnover here and thus, career advancement can be a challenge. However, there is change in the air. Colony understands it needs to make some internal changes if it wants to stay competitive in the job market. They are rooted in a culture and shifting this culture will take time.

The base pay is just okay, but I believe this is being looked at too. They've exhausted the local talent pool in the small town of Monroe, and are working on making themselves more attractive by offering base salaries inline with the larger neighboring cities.

Be prepared for a drive. I prefer it it, but most might not? Monroe is about 40 minutes from everywhere.

Limited internal resources. You need to learn on the fly. This can stunt your growth if you lack ambition, drive or personal professional goals. You're encouraged to speak up here, if you don't have a voice, or know how to use it, this may not be the place for you.

Commit to one common goal that will unify individual sister company Executives. We tend to compete against ourselves and defend our own areas priorities. More is accomplished when we are focused on the same goal.

90 percent of the employees there would quit if the job economy were better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clinton, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clinton, IA

I have been working at Swiss Colony full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working at Colony Brands. Any review that is positive here is a plant.

Cons

90 percent of the employees are really not employees at all. They are called temporary employees. Many of these "temporary employees" have worked there for 15 to 20 years. All that time working 40 hour weeks. Now that we have National Health Care policy, Colony Brands has found a loophole and has them working 30 hours per week or less so that they are not required by law to pay for their insurance. Temporary employees who have been there 5, 10, 15, 20 years now are being required to take 12 weeks off this year to average 30 hours or less. . They have no benefits; retirement; not time off for holidays, sick time, vacation, etc. If they miss work, they will not be paid. There are a few FULL TIME EMPLOYEES. Not many. Those people talk about everyone else and complain about them. They seem not to realize that it is all those "worker bees" (the 90 percent) who do all the work. It is a very negative company. They really need a union to guarantee fairness. They hold the carrot of "possible" insurance in 2016, to 10 percent of those 90 percent, to make them work harder. Shameful that sweatshops like this still exist. Moral is so low, just looking around at them makes me tired.

Management does not want advice. They will continue doing things the same old way. The way that does not work. They will never be able to compete with the big dogs out there like Amazon. Their products are cheap. Their temporary employees are beaten down. There is no future for these poor souls. Colony Brands can't possibly do well in the future. It is no wonder why sales are down. I predict they will continue declining. They are an old dinosaur.

Don't expect to be paid well or promoted ever.

I have been working at Swiss Colony

Pros

They try to make you feel appreciated by events and activities. Work life balance is pretty good, as long as you don't let your frustrations with your job creep into your personal life.

Cons

The managers are not trained properly. Most of the assistants know way more about the processes than the managers do. A lot of managers are older and so don't know how to use technology properly. Yet who has more financial stability? The managers. All hell breaks loose if we try to update to a better program. No one likes change but it is needed.

Great second job but not a full-time position.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Dickeyville, WI

I have been working at Swiss Colony part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As an employee you get 35% or more off your orders plus free regular mail shipping on all your orders as long as it gets shipped to your address. They had potlucks and you earn play money to be used as real money on your orders.

Cons

You will never get full-time status and you are stuck at same rep status.x there isn't a chance to go anywhere in the company

instead of hiring and hiring more reps please give the ones you have more hours.

Great stability.

Current Employee - Manager in Monroe, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Monroe, WI

I have been working at Swiss Colony full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Positive experience, good benefits, community focused.

Cons

Change reluctance, antiquated systems, physical plant inadequate and scattered in multiple buildings making for tons of inefficiency moving between various locations for meetings.

Leadership growth