Swiss Re

Swiss Re Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Swiss Re Group CEO Michel M. Liès

Michel M. Liès

Pros:
  • "Swiss Re provides a good work-life balance, flexible hours, good pay and bonuses, and development opportunities"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Very intelligent people, great benefits and overall respect for private time (e"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "High turnover, senior management misunderstood"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Work-life balance suffers - growing number of burnout cases"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Vice President

Vice President (Current Employee)
Armonk, NY

I have been working at Swiss Re full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent company to work for. Number 1-2 in the reinsurance industry. Access to Global expertise is a plus. Good salaries and benefits above average if compared with direct insurance companies.

ConsA large company with a heavy structure, which sometimes seem to be bureaucratic. There have been constant changes in the recent past changing the direction of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview policies for allocating corporate bands.

Good atmosphere between employees

I have been working at Swiss Re

Prosflexible, modern thinking company, worldwide network

Conssometimes lack of top down transparency

Great company...okay office environment

Underwriter (Former Employee)

I worked at Swiss Re full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company itself was great. Great health insurance and overall benefits. Salary okay. In all, I could never complain about the actual company.

ConsNot crazy about some of my co-workers in my department. At times, I felt as if I was back in high school with the clicks. My co-workers were nice as individuals, but put them all together...ugh! It wasn't uncommon for some to take 2 1/2 hour lunches to go shopping on Michigan Avenue, have personal shoppers meet them down in the lobby and then model their clothes in the office hallway, or just go out drinking knocking back two pitches of booze and then returning to work. My favorite, showing up late to work in the morning because they wanted to go out to breakfast and never calling to say they will be in...they would just show up to work after they got done eating...at 10:00 a.m. I suppose if I was into all that I would have enjoyed my experience a little more, but I was too honest and probably way too uptight. However, got along real well with people in other departments. They didn't pull that nonsense. Remember, when your co-workers do stuff like that...somebody always pays for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your employees a little better.

I have worked at Swiss Re for more than 10 years.

Armonk, NY

I have been working at Swiss Re full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSwiss Re provides a good work-life balance, flexible hours, good pay and bonuses, and development opportunities. The people are great....diverse workforce both culturally and intellectually. Armonk location is beautiful with alot of amenities.

ConsA bit bureaucratic. Internal opportunities can be limited in certain areas of the business.

Opportunities dwindle in the satellite offices

Risk Analyst (Vice President) (Former Employee)
Overland Park, KS

I worked at Swiss Re full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood compensation, great travel, global presence, respected company

ConsBureaucratic, IT restrictions keep you from doing your job, at some point you really need to be based in Armonk or Zurich

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you value diversity, allow people to do their jobs from ANYWHERE- not just the major hubs. Find a better way to keep on-line info secure but still allow access for those who need it.

Swiss Re is a great place to work

Vice President (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Swiss Re full-time for more than 10 years

Prosglobal forward thinking and solid

Consbureacratic, not diverse, very political

Advice to Senior Managementtoo political, not diverse

Everything is good except the location

Actuarial Intern (Former Employee)
Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Swiss Re as an intern for less than a year

ProsStrong company with lots of global opportunities.Managers and colleagues are nice to work with. Competitive compensation.

ConsTurn over in Fort Wayne office is low, so that it'll long to step up.

Great place to work @ SR

Vice President (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Swiss Re full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits offered by company

ConsNo negatives to report at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand market share over Munich Re

Great environment, supportive culture and good work/life balance

I have been working at Swiss Re full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSwiss Re treats employees very fairly and supports opportunities to learn/develop one's career. The pay is good (maybe not compared to banking but you don't work banking hours). Tons of experts in house and cohesive culture that allows you to foster

ConsCan be hierarchal and rigid at times. If you're not used to Swiss culture, seems a little cold at first. A lot of reliance on headquarters

Good company to work for; great benefits

Vice President (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Swiss Re full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBest benefits out of all companies I worked for. Great health insurance, one of the best 401K plans with 6% 1-1 match and 6% annual deposit
Good salary and bonuses, healthy working environment before 2010 crisis

ConsAt around 2010 crisis, company went downhill that decreased quality of work, increasing working hours and creating unhealthy environment and more bureaucratic controls

Advice to Senior ManagementProject management calculation cannot be based on just resource allocation and time assigned. Proper evaluation of complexity of the product, expertise in the field, proper communication will lead to correct results. Otherwise, miscalculation will lead to imbalance causing increased and unnecessary working hours, causing decrease in quality and frustration

Worked for Swiss Re? Contribute to the Community!

Swiss Re Videos

Swiss Re – Why Work for Us?

The Swiss Re Group is a leading wholesale provider of reinsurance, insurance and other insurance-based forms of risk transfer. Dealing direct and working through brokers, its global client base consists of insurance… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Swiss Re reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Swiss Re CEO Michel M. Liès. All 140 reviews posted anonymously by Swiss Re employees.