Switchfly

Updated November 8, 2014
3.7

Switchfly CEO Daniel Farrar
Daniel Farrar

Best place to work where you are treated as a person not a number

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Switchfly full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everything is best here. It is unfortunate to see bad reviews for the company. Some of the reviews about the CEO are just wrong. CEO is always engaged in what's going on in the company and a very nice to person. He's always open to hear from people. It is an act of a coward to speak behind one's back for no reason. I am 100% satisfied with the company and would definitely recommend for anyone who wants to work in a very healthy environment with focus on work rather than dirty politics.

-Nice people
    -Free lunches every wednesday
    -Happy hours
    -Kitchen full of snacks
    -Work life balance

Cons

Every company has pros and cons. It's up to you to understand the company culture and you are always free to find an opportunity that suits best to you.
    - None for me as of now.

Always try to get feedback from people working for you. It does not hurt at all to hear truth and act on it.
    Just do right things and you are the winner.

Exciting place to work

Current Employee - Principal Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

Great people - We have very sharp, interesting, and fun people that you can learn from as you work.

Challenging domain - the travel domain is surprisingly complicated and one is constantly challenged to satisfy business requirements in a clean and elegant way.

Methodologies to support quality code - Pair programming, unit testing, automated integration testing, agile development.

Rapid growth - we are growing fast so there are lots of opportunities in various areas of the company

interesting technology - We are using cutting edge technology in our web tier (ember) based with a more traditional back end (java/spring). Our platform has been evolving rapidly and there is a lot of room for a sharp person to help shape the future.

Benefits - Pay scale and benefits are excellent. Attending conferences is supported.

Activities - The company sponsors (and pays for) many periodic fun activities (Giants games, ski trips, bicycle events, triathlon, yoga, movie nights) . There is a ping pong table with periodic tournaments. The company caters lunch once a week. There is a great selection of drinks and snacks in the kitchen.

Remote work - We have technology in place that allows senior people to work remotely with great success.

Cons

Rapid growth - We are growing fast, so there are a number of challenges related to that. A new person may feel a bit overwhelmed by a large, complicated application and domain. Our training is evolving and will continue to do so. Training is supplemented by easy access to senior people. It often means that the burden is on the employee to seek out a senior person and ask questions.

Legacy platform - Our platform is evolving, but we have a number of legacy patterns in our code that can make learning the current best practices harder to discern.

Complicated application - Our application is big, complex, and highly configurable. It is hard to learn.

Invest more in training, documentation.

Innovative and Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Switchfly full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth, leadership, clear strategy, collaboration, ownership, professional development. What you are working on matters to the company and is publicly appreciated. Great work/life balance as well. I love working at Switchfly and am happy and thankful that I work here.

Cons

Based on some of the negative reviews I've read below, the only con is that there seem to be a couple employees who are spending 40 hours a week at a job they don't like anymore. Life it too short for that, if you ask me.

Best place I've worked!

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

-Healthy, positive, fun work environment
    -The opportunity to work with smart, friendly and experienced people every day
    -Clear, consistent and transparent communication from the top down, regarding company direction and goals (monthly company-wide meetings are very insightful)
    -Great offices in downtown SF
    -Many employee perks which include free food, coffee, drinks; weekly free lunches; fun quarterly company outings, free weekly yoga sessions, ping pong room, weight room, company sponsored external sporting events, monthly movie nights and birthday celebrations
    -"Family & health first" mentality which supports flexibility within the work schedule
    -Work / life balance highly encouraged
    -Open door policy has been established across all tiers of the organization
    -Experienced and driven leadership team

Cons

-Negative employees (just a few!) who find the negative in every little thing and complain about it, rather than finding a job / workplace that better suits them

Keep up the great work. Appreciate what you do every day as leaders!

Great place to be!

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

This company is pretty great. I know I get paid well and from what I hear from others, the compensation is awesome. Most of the people who work in the office are friendly and often grab lunch together when there is not a company lunch. The benefits are amazing. There are tons of perks around the office, a (small) in office gym, two kitchens filled with tons of food and drink, plenty of open space if you need a break from your desk, ping pong room, free company lunch every Wednesday and access to the building roof that has a track, small driving range and tons of tables to eat lunch at on a nice day. The overall company feel is pretty laid back, most people arrive mid morning and dress pretty casually.

Cons

The biggest con at this company is people who are unhappy and continue to stay. There are plenty of us who love coming to work at Switchfly everyday. Instead of bashing the company find a better fit for yourself. I think people forget how great of place this is to work.

Management needs to make sure their team is being heard and problems are settled sooner than later.

Good people, decent bennies

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Switchfly full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People work hard and have fun, very few jerks, reasonable expectations, a good product for it's space, hard-working sales team, dev managers are excellent

Cons

As a dev, travel space is not very interesting.

Change is happening. Negative employees not wanting to promote positive change should see themselves to the door.

I have been working at Switchfly

Pros

Amazing, smart team, flexible work schedules, great work/life balance, benefits, activities, compensation, opportunities to do more and grow if you're willing to work hard, great culture. Leadership team trying hard to keep up with needs of team members during massive changes internally. Open door policy for any employee to candidly voice concerns to execs and management team.

Cons

Company is in a real period of change and there are a handful of highly negative employees looking for any opportunity to complain, slander, cause drama and criticize with zero interest in doing anything to make things better and would rather spend their time publicly (and anonymously) criticizing the very people/friends they sit and work with each day. People across all levels are stretched thin. CEO is out of touch and more interested in posting pictures of himself body-building than doing any actual work. Seems to spend his days designing backpacks and water bottles with the marketing team he now manages with little to no interest in anything else.

Try and isolate negativity and move those individuals out.
    Find time for training/growth/personal initiatives for individuals.
    BOD should be more involved in what their CEO is actually doing/ adding to the organization.

Very knowledgeable, growing experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Switchfly full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm always learning new technologies; the culture and atmosphere is very friendly; I love being able to work with others; my managers are always desiring for me to grow;

Cons

You don't always know what's going across different departments; a lot of the projects you work do end up being very similar and mundane; might have to work late shifts some time;

Stable company, good people

I worked at Switchfly part-time

Pros

Friendly people, great location, good pay, fun office atmosphere

Cons

Their product isn't the most exciting thing in the world, so it is difficult to be super passionate

Keep doing what you're doing.

Fun & Learn

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

Management, Compensation, Culture, People, Technology

Cons

HR/Legal, Travel industry is not that much exciting space to be in

Switchfly Photos