Swope Rodante
www.swopelaw.com Tampa, FL 16 to 50 Employees

Swope Rodante Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Dale Swope

Overall, a really great firm to work for.

Tampa, FL

ProsFirst, the people are definitely a "Pro" - both the people that you work with and the clients that you work for. These attorneys work really long hours to help people that have been in really horrible accidents get the money that they're entitled to. No matter how early you get there or how late you leave, you can be sure that there is at least one attorney working earlier or later than any of the staff. There's a real expectation for excellence, too, and for someone like me, it drives me to be better and take pride in what I do.

There are also some great perks. A gym with personal trainer, yoga classes, a massage therapist available for appointments at a HUGE discount, car wash Fridays, firm-wide lunches, and social events that everyone is invited to participate in with their families. And in my experience, the firm takes care of those that work hard and are loyal. The years you put in pay off - and the people with the most experience are recognized for it. They pay for their employees' health insurance and dental insurance. And they really seem to care about the people that work for them. There are a lot of

And as far as the clients go, it's honestly inspiring to think about all the people this firm has helped. People who have suffered traumatic brain injuries, who are paralyzed for life, who have actually had their loved one killed because of someone else's negligence. And then when insurance companies wrongfully deny the claim, it adds insult to injury. Swope Rodante represents the injured person in some cases and the negligent person in others, but always against the insurance company that failed to do its job and protect its insured. It's easy to lose sight of that, sometimes - that we're helping people who can't help themselves and whose lives have been ruined through no fault of their own.

The other thing to know, if you are either considering a career as an attorney or a paralegal/legal assistant, is that this firm has an excellent reputation - and not just in the Tampa Bay area. The firm is known and respected state-wide, and by people on both sides of the aisle. So Swope Rodante is an excellent firm to associate with if you're lucky enough to have the opportunity!

ConsThe firm does expect a lot, both time-wise and performance-wise. The partners are a lot more flexible with time off than some other reviewers have said, and are willing to work with people who have family emergencies or illnesses that crop up. But the hours are long - that's no secret. Staff knows up front that they're expected to work 8 1/2 hour days, not 8-hour days. But at the same time, the firm pays its staff for every minute of overtime, and they warn people up front that they'll be working 42 1/2 hours per week before the person ever accepts the job.

Two thing people definitely share here - at least the people that stick around - are intelligence and a strong work ethic. This really isn't the place for you unless you're willing to dedicate your time and effort. There really isn't any room for slackers or the "What's in it for me?" attitude. Personally, though, that's something I really appreciate about working here.

One place I used to work at used to put people on "salary" to avoid paying overtime, but wouldn't complain if people "volunteered" to stay late or come in early. This firm doesn't play games like that - they play fair. They tell you what the deal is up front. And sure, they expect excellence in work product and they expect long hours in the office, but that's just part of the deal. I think the benefits of working at Swope Rodante far outweigh the long hours. But I do admit I'm a bit of a work-a-holic, so take that with a grain of salt.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think we could probably do a better job of disseminating news and notices firm-wide. Also, I think the social events that the firm organizes, like the Thanksgiving potluck or the food-truck Fridays, are one of the things that really boost morale and help to keep everyone balanced - so I will always be in favor of more of those.

Terrible experience

Legal Assistant (Current Employee)
    Ybor City, FL

ProsIt was nice that they bought lunch once a month...

ConsBut just about everything else was terrible. The catty "administration team" is a joke. And, the lack of flexibility and crappy benefits really don't add much to anything either. Make all of your employees feel important, not just the few that have actually stuck around. The points system is so incredibly flawed too. It's a great way to get out of never giving paid time off.

Hard work that's totally worth it.

Tampa, FL

ProsYes, it takes a lot of dedication and time to work here. But when you see the results - that you have LITERALLY changed the life of a client that wouldn't have had a chance at a "normal" life otherwise - it is worth every second. The lawyers we work for really care about their clients and the clients are some of the most inspiring people I ever met. I'm absolutely proud to say I work here - it's a way of life.

Also, yes, they have a "points" system which equates each hour into a point that you can save up and use to take time off whenever you want. They're roll-over points, and they never expire, which - compared to the "1 week vacation and 5 sick days per year" that I had at my last job, is pretty incredible. Maybe it doesn't work for people that are late every day, but it works really well for those of us that show up on time. If you use the system as it's intented it totally works to our advantage.

Bottom line, it's really great to be a part of this family.

ConsIt's a 45 minute drive to my house. :) Otherwise, I think that it's fairly obvious I'm really very happy here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for always going above and beyond and making us feel proud to work for you. You're the best!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Proud to work with these lawyers.

Tampa, FL

ProsWith the belief that this website is for prospective employees, I would like to submit my opinion of the work environment here and let you decide for yourself if you would like to possibly join our company. As any paralegal or Legal Assistant knows, everything we do is for the clients. That being said, yes we all work very hard here. You are required to work a minimum of 42.5 hours per week. If you want to be successful and be considered for a promotion, you work at least 45-50 hours weekly (sometimes more). The nice part about that is that not only are we helping our clients but we also get paid time and a half for all hours worked over 40. All of the attorneys here are VERY pleasant to work with, even the “top dogs” are cordial and active in the firm. We are all proud to say we work for them and with them, as they are each respected within the community and all have their act together. Finally, yes, the points system; as an employee who is rarely late and rarely takes unscheduled time off, I still do not agree with this system. Therefore, my personal opinion is that you would enjoy working here if you don’t care to have much of a personal/family life, you don’t mind working with catty women and you want to work with really great attorneys.

ConsNo cons working here, as long as you don't mind making work your number one priority in life. I'm lucky that I have a good support system at home, I don't know how people with families or no support systems do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't make us ride the trolly again this year and also, if you only value the opinion of certain employees, then maybe you should allow those employees to do all of the hiring, firing and supervising. Also make sure any new hires actually WANT to work more than 40 hours a week.

Nice company if you love to work 50+ hours and have no outside life.

Tampa, FL

ProsDecent health benefits. The office building is nice, has a lot of character since it's a historic building,

ConsVery little time off. Your time off is a "points system" that is unfair and unheard of elsewhere. They purposely have different "divisions" under different business names in order to have under 50 employees per business.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the points system - this is 2011, not 1911.

Worked for Swope Rodante? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Swope Rodante reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Swope Rodante CEO Dale Swope . All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Swope Rodante employees.