Sybase

Sybase Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Sybase Chairman & CEO John S. Chen

John S. Chen

Pros:
  • "Work life balance and management support"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The atmosphere, work environment, and overall benefits of working for the company are good"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work from home is not entertained"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Fear based culture - Dictator CEO surrounded by "yes" men rather than competent/passionate leadership"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Just like every other major SI

Consultant (Former Employee)
Bethesda, MD

I worked at Sybase

ProsPaid slightly higher salary than the other systems integrators I interviewed with. At the time I had about 4 years of software engineering experience in cleared government work.

ConsGenerally treated like the pawn you are. Was not at all impressed with the skill or competence of the management. Seemed like there was a high churn rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think every company says that it will be easy to move between contracts. Sybase was no different but when I wanted to move there was very little available despite their large footprint within the DC area.

Stable, with fits of chaos

I have been working at Sybase

ProsOn-campus fitness center, daycare facility, cafeteria big pluses. Good healthcare and insurance benefits. Dublin campus located in a suburb with reverse traffic is helpful (esp compared to SF or SJ).

ConsNo telecommuting allowed. Christmas Week mandatory company shutdown uses up a week of worker's vacation time.

This is always brought up during "Ask the CEO" sessions; reason given is that we get short vacation (giving up a full week forced to take during Christmas) and no telecommuting so we can enjoy good healthcare. I suspect a lot of people will be willing to pay for higher co-pay or prescriptions if we could work from home a few times a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour must-work-on-site rule is Draconian. What kind of example do we set to when we develop mobile software, but the developers themselves are not allowed to work from home? Get with the 21st Century. Being proud of saving energy by using efficient lightbulbs is hypocritical when you require people to drive their cars and waste time commuting everyday. That's a WAY bigger carbon footprint than any energy savings you get on campus.

Check with HR; top reason for people leaving the company is because you won't allow telecommuting. Yet you have offices all over the world. Just doesn't make sense. Let people work from anywhere they want; just make sure they do the work.

Great coworkers, definitely could have been a better experience with management.

Telemarketing Representative (Former Employee)
Concord, MA

ProsGreat benefits.
Good food in the cafeteria
wonderful coworkers
great company vision
good pay

Conslots of middle management to get in the way
company is always moving toward a goal but never lets you know how you fit into this goal

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp get entry level employees into better positions earlier before the get lost

Not what I was expecting

Staff Software Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sybase

Pros- Great location if you live in Tri-Valley
- On-site gym
- Some chances to work on newer technology (mobile, Eclipse plugins)
- Health insurance can be VERY comprehensive for not a lot of cash out-of-pocket. Really cheap drug co-pays.
- Lots of good people, who know what they are doing and are good engineers. Everyone I've worked with is good natured and helpful.

ConsDay to day
---------------
Unbelievably bureaucratic development process. There's a ton of overhead involved in just being able to check out and change one file. Managers must approve code checkins. Code reviews are done, but good luck getting your system set up to take part. Many internal tools were developed in-house, and it shows. Quality seems to be hit or miss, and is quite frankly, understaffed.

Much work is done overseas, so if there's a problem blocking you, you're pretty much stuck until the next day.

Strategy
-----------
Lots of disarray when it comes to product strategy. Who is doing what? What are we doing? It seems to change every couple of months. There's a fine line between reacting to what customers/markets want and not sticking to a strategy long enough to see what works. There's also a sad lack of understanding of the target developers.

Management
------------------
While I may be reporting an isolated case, there's lots of micro-management of day-to-day tasks. There are good managers here, but it's very uneven.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the jobs back to the US and you'll see a big increase in morale and quality. Take a hard look at your processes and ask if they make sense anymore or could be done more efficiently.

All management care about is bottom line

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sybase

ProsVery few companies in the tri-valley

ConsThey can do a better job on product roadmap

Advice to Senior Managementjust integrate with SAP already. SAP is a better company

Long time employee and hope to stay that way

Concord, MA

I have been working at Sybase

ProsWork life balance, flexibility, autonomy

ConsThere is a level of bureaucracy that is not ideal

good

Tester (Former Employee)

I worked at Sybase

Prosgood company that i worked for over 10 years, friend colleagues and easy job to do, but low salary !

ConsPoor growth and no stocks
bonus was rarely given and even when given was very low
the stock price is low

Advice to Senior Managementgood company that i worked for over 10 years, friend colleagues and easy job to do, but low salary !

Excellent

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGood engineering systems
Technical competency
Lots of good team work
Good work life balance and flexibility to work
Job security

ConsPoor growth and no stocks
bonus was rarely given and even when given was very low
the stock price is low

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on company growth
Need to get more market share for the company
Need more outside folks to take over the management

Need to get competitive with salaries to attract good people

I have been working at Sybase

ProsCompany culture is good, many people stay a long time
Encouraging growth in new fields of mCommerce and Enterprise Mobility

Cons- Salaries are below market level in California. HR keeps saying they are competitive, but interviewing outsiders clearly tells another story. Can only attract new graduates with hardly any experience, who get trained for a couple of years and then leave for a better paying job. Waste of time on managers who try to build stable teams with experienced employees.
- For employees with families, the benefits are bigger. Daycare, seasonal events geared towards employees with children, etc.
- No telecommuting policy caused many to leave the company
- Promotions are hard to get
-Vacation accrual stops at 3 weeks/year, with forced shutdown over Christmas in the US, that is reduced to 2 weeks and a day. Too little

Advice to Senior ManagementChen resurrected the company and he needs to be recognized for this, but his tight grip on any type of expense approval, including all hires slows down the company. Everything is centralized in the hands of a handful of people. For the company to really be innovative, power must be shared.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Sybase

ProsSybase was a good company. I had a very good time there. The working environment,culture were both nice. I like it.

Consthe location of the office was a little bit far from the center of the bay area. not good for those family with 2 working members.

Advice to Senior ManagementSybase was a good company. I had a very good time there. The working environment,culture were both nice. I like it.

Worked for Sybase? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sybase reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sybase CEO John S. Chen. All 121 reviews posted anonymously by Sybase employees.