Sybase

Sybase Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Sybase Chairman & CEO John S. Chen

John S. Chen

Pros:
  • "Work life balance and management support"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The atmosphere, work environment, and overall benefits of working for the company are good"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work from home is not entertained"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Fear based culture - Dictator CEO surrounded by "yes" men rather than competent/passionate leadership"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work.

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sybase

ProsIt was a good place to work. The people were very reasonable, and everyone was a team player. There wasn't any micro-managing.

ConsIt doesn't feel like a very fast moving company. As a whole, the company is comprised mostly of older employees. They've not hired many new college grads for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore than words, need to take steps to listen to the employees more, and to empower them to do their jobs.

Place to work, indeed.

Staff Software Designer (Former Employee)
Dublin, TX

I worked at Sybase

ProsWorking environment is ok, just because of the colleagues. another thing is career path is ok. you will need to voice up, else no one will know if yu are happy with your current situation. that's goes to me. maybe this is human being.

Conswork work and work, that's all... and work.. we do not want to have too much of company politic in this company... employee, especially those lower position staffs suffering alot.

Advice to Senior Managementmore team building, more innovation to work, and slightly more benefit to the employee

Financially stable place to work

I have been working at Sybase

Prosthe company is stable financially and seems to be on a reasonable footing going forward.

ConsThe hardest thing about working at Sybase is the expectation that the job starts at 55-60 hours a week. There is little to no innovation. The primary work is keeping current customers satisfied.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttempt to pull the regular work week down to 50 hours.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Riding the Phoenix

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sybase

ProsCompany is doing well and has good plans for the future. Has overcome some systemic problems and poised for long term success. Respectful work environment, strong work ethic with good opportunities for professional growth.

ConsUsual issues with "skaters" employees who are not held accountable for performance while others pick up the slack. Heavy top down management style that was necessary to get company back on track, could now impede good ideas from percolating from the workforce. Leadership hasn't grasped benefits of innovative recognition and feedback programs leading to unnecessary attrition.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney isn't everything. Teams do work. Leadership is more than getting a title.

No risk and no reward.

I have been working at Sybase

ProsSybase is a company that values and respects its engineers. The work environment is pleasant and the benefits good.

ConsAlmost nobody is passionate about their work. The flagship product is in maintenance mode. The parking lot is empty by 6pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make engineers into managers.

Good company to work for if you want to have more time with your personal life and family

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

Proswell-established. Nice people. Excellent benefit

Consslow growth, forced vacation, etc

Advice to Senior Managementcancel forced vacation. Maybe good for Sybase financials but definitely not good for morale

Solid company

Territory Account Manager (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Sybase

ProsGood technology - nice customer base to work from. The System Consultants who support the sales team are stellar. John Chen is wise to focus the long-term growth of the company on wireless/mobility.

ConsLimited vision from management on expanding use of database product lines. The quota's for sales reps are usually crazy high. 30% growth in the database market for Sybase is unrealistic. Most IT execs know Sybase, or at least the name, but don't usually have positive thoughts in relation to it. At the end of the day, ASE is the the #4 db on the market and losing ground to the open source companies. This tide could be stemmed with some sort of marketing investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some money on field marketing to at least maintain existing customer base.

Best place to work

Engineering Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sybase

ProsGood company to work for. Strong products

ConsLimited growth opportunities after Director

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistent product development strategy

It used to be a good company to work for

I have been working at Sybase

ProsWork is interesting, co-workers are competent and easy to get along with.

ConsThere is a lack of respect coming from senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect employees

A place for a good paycheck.

I have been working at Sybase

ProsGood pay and some nice people that work there. Even some folks in middle-management are nice, but if pressed I think they'd admit that you have to attain a certain level of numbness in order to stay sane working there.

ConsCorporate direction is very engineering based and out of touch with what the customers want or need. I've been there for 7 years with no promotions or raises aside from cost of living increases and no feedback on what it will take for a promotion. All this while getting positive focal reviews and significant accomplishments.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to customers, stop letting engineering set the direction of the company, let product management determine product requirements, listen to expert advice from employees that work for you.

Worked for Sybase? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sybase reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sybase CEO John S. Chen. All 121 reviews posted anonymously by Sybase employees.