Sybase Reviews

Reset
3.3
Sybase Chairman & CEO John S. Chen
John S. Chen

Pros
  • Best reason to work here is because of work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The work and work environment are pretty good, with core work in almost all areas of the database product development being done from India office (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is sometimes sacrificed (in 4 reviews)

• Unrealistic quotas, upper management made poor decisions (in 5 reviews)

1. Gaining experience while beating the competition.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Sybase full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First, I opened the office for Sybase in Cincinnati, had several sales and was offered the district manager position, but turned it down because I was having too much fun and success in selling. Plus, I had two young sons and knew that traveling the entire Great Lakes as a Manager would take time from my job as a first time dad.
    I was asked to move to Cleveland to reopen that office, but first tasix months and spend it in Pittssburgh, a city we had had zero success in. In that time period, I sold Wetinghouse, Heinz, Consolidated Natural Gas, Smith Kline Beecham, U.S. Steel and Calgon. Oracle had a large office already in place there.
    I went on to reopen the Cleveland office and make a number of sales until six months after Oracle 7 came out and I was recruited by Oracle to come to work for them.

Cons

When Oracle came out with Version 7, it was labeled the Sybase killer because they finally added a number of capabilities that caught up and surpassed Sybase. Prior to this point, companies were building software to fit on top of the database, so they needed functionality to allow them to take advantage of that environment. After Oracle Veresion 7, application software could sit on top of Oracle, not Sybase. It was a complete game changer and I realized it was time to make a change. Sybase was never the same after that release and change in the industry.

Advice to Management

Oracle 7 came out in 1995. There is literally nothing that Sybase could do at this point to make a change that would correct the mistake they made by not opening up their database as Oracle did that gave them the permanent edge in the industry.
    My advice would be to learn from your mistakes and watch what is happening in the industry in the future so that if a change like this occurs again, you can take advantage of it.

2. Very Interesting and learning

I worked at Sybase

Pros

Small team, good work, can work on the core modules at the early stages of career. some of the smart brains are around

Cons

Middle management doesn't seem to have a clear focus and vision and seem to not align with the strategy of the organization. Otherwise work wise nothing to crib about. also people seem to have become a bit lethargic

3. Great experience. Good advancement

I worked at Sybase

Pros

For the most part, supportive colleagues. Well-qualified, intelligent people.

Cons

Market not growing as fast as desired. Limits internal opportunities

5. Give me more than I expected

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sybase full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A good place to work, nice technical coworkers.

Cons

Like to keep silent so far;)

6. Great people and lots of opportunity for growth

I worked at Sybase full-time

Pros

Great people and lots of opportunity for growth. The technology is interesting, and the company provides tons of opportunity to participate in technology training.

Cons

Sales compensation is changed yearly, and the company is run by people focused on accuracy and predictability of revenue rather than aggressively pursuing sales. Because the Sybase technology isn't typically considered a growth technology at many clients, it's often difficult to meet with top level management at clients.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job. Keep it up!

7. A good company to work with

I have been working at Sybase

Pros

One of the main Pros is that it being a small company, an employee gets a chance to contribute in more than one role.

Cons

No Cons that I can think of

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

8. Solid Product Engineering Company

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Pune (India)

I worked at Sybase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Engineering Product Company. Excellent Products Like Sybase IQ, SUP, ASE, Replication Server, CEP. Very good learning environment & opportunity for career growth. Now with added muscle from SAP after takeover by SAP - the SAP Sybase combo should pack even more punch.

Cons

With excellent products like Sybase IQ, SUP, ASE, Replication Server, CEP should have expanded even more which will now be addressed by SAP's takeover of Sybase

9. Good Company to work with

Current Employee - Software Engineer II
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II

I have been working at Sybase full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work culture, flexible timings

Cons

Lack of good management, poor sales records

Advice to Management

Need to aggressive in planning and recruitment

10. Great Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sybase

Pros

- Great atmosphere ( free drinks, foosball tournaments, flex hours, laid back, etc. )
    - Great people ( very friendly and able to communicate well )
    - Salary is above average
    - Personal offices to maximize productivity
    - Very young office, consistently hiring new co-op as well every 4 months
    - Work was challenging and I was given the chance to leave my comfort zone to learn new technologies many times
    - Work always felt important even during the less exciting tasks
    - Very easy to see the big picture of how the work contributed to the project

Cons

Not much to say here
    - Went through some slow periods from time to time, but this is expected at any job

Advice to Management

- More real time feed back is needed. Sometimes I learned that there was something I could have improved on, but did not discover it until the review period. A 5 - 10 minute talk before this period would have helped set me on track much sooner.

A slow easy ride. Enjoy the scenery.

I have been working at Sybase

Pros

Sybase is a slow moving company with few ideas but skilled people. This means that the products and offerings that we do work on, are well thought out and usually beat the competition in terms of performance and robustness. There is pride at working at such a level.

Sybase also seems to offer better than average salary. It was reported last month (September 2008) that the average tenure at Sybase is 7 years. This seems extraordinary for a technology company in California. I think the balance of work and life that Sybase strives for, along with the good salary and low stress, allows for many people to enjoy working and building their "Work Family".

There is another positive to working at a slow-moving conservative company. You have the opportunity to try new ideas and tactics at a slower pace. It may seem like a contradiction, but if you are a go-getter with some new ideas, they are still well-received, and sometimes they get funding. This allows for some big fish to try things out in small ponds. And your job isn't dependent on the outcome.

Cons

There is very little aggression in terms of growth. If you are looking for cutting edge, research-driven, design-driven, competitive environment, you should go to Google.

Also, there is a theory that Sybase is suffering from averaging-down. The best employees go elsewhere looking for higher risk-reward, leaving the unexceptional to create a new average.

I personally work with some of the best people in the business, so although I can philosophically understand the idea, I don't see it happening around me.

Bonuses and other non-salary compensation are pretty sparse.

Sybase also tends to buy companies that then either have to be integrated (AvantGo, Extended Systems) or act independently (Mobile 365, XcelleNet). This can create some problems in both directions. With integration, you are sometimes looking at a dwindling team that is being managed remotely and is unhappy. With the independent company, you may be asked to work on a cross team project without sufficient training or resources.

Advice to Management

Loosen up! I would love to see more ideas being thrown around the board room, class room, training room and development war room.

RSS Feed </> Embed