Sybase

Updated September 28, 2014
3.5

Sybase Chairman & CEO John S. Chen
John S. Chen

Pros
  • Best reason to work here is because of work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The atmosphere, work environment, and overall benefits of working for the company are good (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work from home is not entertained (in 4 reviews)

• Work-life balance is sometimes sacrificed (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The company has changed since I worked there

I worked at Sybase

Pros

Now mostly a consulting company

Cons

When I was there, they competed in the relational data base market very successfullly

Overall a nice place to work

I worked at Sybase

Pros

Decent campus with on-site daycare and gym, people are very friendly there.

Cons

Was not all impressed with the skills of the management, it was hard to move up.

Need to improve software manager's skill set.

Gaining experience while beating the competition.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Sybase full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

First, I opened the office for Sybase in Cincinnati, had several sales and was offered the district manager position, but turned it down because I was having too much fun and success in selling. Plus, I had two young sons and knew that traveling the entire Great Lakes as a Manager would take time from my job as a first time dad.
    I was asked to move to Cleveland to reopen that office, but first tasix months and spend it in Pittssburgh, a city we had had zero success in. In that time period, I sold Wetinghouse, Heinz, Consolidated Natural Gas, Smith Kline Beecham, U.S. Steel and Calgon. Oracle had a large office already in place there.
    I went on to reopen the Cleveland office and make a number of sales until six months after Oracle 7 came out and I was recruited by Oracle to come to work for them.

Cons

When Oracle came out with Version 7, it was labeled the Sybase killer because they finally added a number of capabilities that caught up and surpassed Sybase. Prior to this point, companies were building software to fit on top of the database, so they needed functionality to allow them to take advantage of that environment. After Oracle Veresion 7, application software could sit on top of Oracle, not Sybase. It was a complete game changer and I realized it was time to make a change. Sybase was never the same after that release and change in the industry.

Oracle 7 came out in 1995. There is literally nothing that Sybase could do at this point to make a change that would correct the mistake they made by not opening up their database as Oracle did that gave them the permanent edge in the industry.
    My advice would be to learn from your mistakes and watch what is happening in the industry in the future so that if a change like this occurs again, you can take advantage of it.

SW QA & Enterprise Database Systems

Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Concord, NH

I worked at Sybase full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I loved working in and learning SW QA in the original small tight-knit group of OmniConnect in Concord, NH and even as we expanded and became part of the ASE team HQ'd in CA, Spent 14 years in SW QA here from the time I graduated college until the time I resigned. I got to learn not just SW QA, but multiple Enterprise Database Systems, from Sybase's own (ASE, ASA, IQ), but competitors as well (Oracle, DB2, MS SQL Server [which initially was created as a collaboration between Sybase and MicroSoft to port then Sybase SQL Server to the Windows platform]), I got to learn about database replication and got to help improve different Sybase products so that they worked and played well together.

Cons

in the later of my 14 years at Sybase the team kept being splintered by upper management for different projects and into different corporate divisions and therefore for the most-part the office I worked out of was just that - the office I worked out of - still the same physical location for the entirety of my 14 years, but at the end was working with a team/division HQ'd in a different state and not with anyone else in my physical office. Also people took a backseat to project needs. At the end I was getting so burnt out and had requested a transfer to a different group/project of which I had previously been a part, I was told that that group's function wasn't 'critical path'. I therefore tendered my resignation and they let 14 years of product and QA tools knowledge walk out the door. This was just prior to them being bought by SAP. Not sure how SAP management would have handled it.

Listen to your employees - especially long-term employees on the verge of burn out -- don't let knowledge-base walk!

Pretty good and stable work environment

Former Employee - Analyst in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Dublin, CA

I worked at Sybase full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company understands balance of work and family
    Interesting projects

Cons

Career progression wasn't the fastest. Favouritism was common.

Great experience

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Sybase full-time

Pros

Work from home, great co-workers

Cons

Unrealistic quotas, upper management made poor decisions

General Comments prior to acquisition by SAP

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Sybase full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company had very good benefits compared to many other companies and a big draw to working for the company was the people you worked with but after the company was purchased by SAP the vibe changed to a very distance organization with less collaboration.

Cons

The Senior Management was primarily a very close circle of executives with prior history with the rest of the senior management conforming to the core group's values so integrity with respect to managing people fairly was questionable in some circumstances. Personnel and compensation decisions were controlled by the senior management staff with little knowledge of the actual situation at the lower levels. The vacation benefits were below industry norm

The company should not have voluntarily sold out to SAP which may have not been possible since the company was public and SAP could have completed a hostile takeover.

Massively positive experience.

I have been working at Sybase full-time

Pros

As a intern you get some of the best pay out there. You also get paid national holidays. You also learn more in a month than you would in a semester.

Cons

Forced no pay holidays during winter holidays. They essentially fire you for half the month on december because most people are on vacation.

Great experience. Good advancement

I worked at Sybase

Pros

For the most part, supportive colleagues. Well-qualified, intelligent people.

Cons

Market not growing as fast as desired. Limits internal opportunities

Excellent Experience at Sybase

I worked at Sybase

Pros

Small company in a Big company
    Technology first
    Lot less politics

Cons

Didn't hire much, so no new blood
    Location

Now that it's part of SAP it doesn't matter

Sybase Photos