Sybase Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Great people and lots of opportunity for growth

I worked at Sybase full-time

Pros

Great people and lots of opportunity for growth. The technology is interesting, and the company provides tons of opportunity to participate in technology training.

Cons

Sales compensation is changed yearly, and the company is run by people focused on accuracy and predictability of revenue rather than aggressively pursuing sales. Because the Sybase technology isn't typically considered a growth technology at many clients, it's often difficult to meet with top level management at clients.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job. Keep it up!

Proficient at failure

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

I worked at Sybase full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If life-work balance and ephemera surrounding your work are more important to you than achieving good results, this place is for you. (I got out before my resume was destroyed.)

Cons

Almost all the serious talent moved on years ago, leaving a small network of competent individuals struggling against a sea of yes-men in a completely dysfunctional organization. Senior management demands to be told what they want to hear, and the rest of the org battles the short-run exigencies this creates.

Advice to Management

No need -- SAP will be replacing you.

3. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Sybase full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Communication is good Management is good

Cons

Pay is not industry standard

Advice to Management

Competitive salary

5. Chicago Office

Former Employee - Senior Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sybase full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None nothing positive with this office. Worst career choice all time

Cons

Terrible management led by Terry Gellerman. Phony job posting... Sybase company itself is fine but the chicago office is led by poor management, not following company's policy, no training and no career support. There are no diversity in the office and the office is poorly equipped.

Advice to Management

get rid of the people in the chicago office

6. Dynamic

Former Employee - Senior Sales Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Specialist in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great company that cares about its employees. Perks and benefits are plentiful and opportunities to move up the ladder present themselves often.

Cons

Many Long hours are required in order to work your way into that next career. If you are dedicated to the company and do not have much life outside, you will do well.

Advice to Management

Less hours!

7. OK

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

Job security is a good reason.

Cons

Poor work environment is a downside.

Advice to Management

More Money would help make me happier.

8. Great health benefits and other perks, poor compensation and growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

Pros

The best health care coverage I have ever heard of. I would stay for this reason alone. On-site daycare Cafeteria (though the food is not so great) Location in the tri-valley Great co-workers

Cons

No telecommuting Limited vacation time and forced to take 1 week over the holidays No promotion despite years of excellent performance reviews

Advice to Management

Treat your valued employees better, let them work from home, give them more opportunity to move up in the company. Offer praise when deserved.

9. Cult-like leadership and culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

Pros

Some of the people are great to work with.

Cons

Cult-like atmosphere, filled with yes-men.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they know more than you think.

10. Just like every other major SI

Former Employee - Consultant in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Consultant in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Paid slightly higher salary than the other systems integrators I interviewed with. At the time I had about 4 years of software engineering experience in cleared government work.

Cons

Generally treated like the pawn you are. Was not at all impressed with the skill or competence of the management. Seemed like there was a high churn rate.

Advice to Management

I think every company says that it will be easy to move between contracts. Sybase was no different but when I wanted to move there was very little available despite their large footprint within the DC area.

Stable, with fits of chaos

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

Pros

On-campus fitness center, daycare facility, cafeteria big pluses. Good healthcare and insurance benefits. Dublin campus located in a suburb with reverse traffic is helpful (esp compared to SF or SJ).

Cons

No telecommuting allowed. Christmas Week mandatory company shutdown uses up a week of worker's vacation time. This is always brought up during "Ask the CEO" sessions; reason given is that we get short vacation (giving up a full week forced to take during Christmas) and no telecommuting so we can enjoy good healthcare. I suspect a lot of people will be willing to pay for higher co-pay or prescriptions if we could work from home a few times a week.

Advice to Management

Your must-work-on-site rule is Draconian. What kind of example do we set to when we develop mobile software, but the developers themselves are not allowed to work from home? Get with the 21st Century. Being proud of saving energy by using efficient lightbulbs is hypocritical when you require people to drive their cars and waste time commuting everyday. That's a WAY bigger carbon footprint than any energy savings you get on campus. Check with HR; top reason for people leaving the company is because you won't allow telecommuting. Yet you have offices all over the world. Just doesn't make sense. Let people work from anywhere they want; just make sure they do the work.

RSS Feed </> Embed