Sylvan Learning Centers

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Sylvan Learning Centers CEO Jeffrey H. Cohen

Jeffrey H. Cohen

Pros:
  • "working with students and families"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The director of education and the administrators were extremely accommodating and helpful"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Full time meant that we ran on a school schedule for the school we worked for so we only averaged about 33 hours/week"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Part-time, typically you only work around 12 hours a week, if that"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great interaction with the children with a very structured step by step lesson plan.

Tutor (Current Employee)

ProsNot full time and very flexible for people with more than 1 job or young children. Make great relationships with coworkers and children. The satisfaction from both the children and their families, makes your time well worth.

ConsHourly pay, so it's not consistent. If a child calls out, you loose hours, and pay that you are depending on as well as your entire day schedule is thrown off. If your child does not show, you are not paid, even if the company still makes the money.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to reach out and actually visit each franchise. Also more recognition for all the work we do inside and outside the centers would be much appreciated.

Former Franchisee

Franchise Owner (Current Employee)

ProsWorked with exceptional teachers, students and families. Students really did succeed with the academic programs. We were able to give many scholarships to students that wanted to learn but could not afford the normal cost. Helped 3000+ kids over 20 years.

There are great franchise operators out there who are wonderful to work for - you'll need to do some homework in finding them.

ConsSenior corporate management in Baltimore has no clue what they are doing. Very amateur in how they run the organization. Corporate has a long history of making poor investment decisions and suffers from being overly leveraged and has difficulty supporting the network in a meaningful way. Abuse of high fees charged to franchise operators to raise capitol to fund corporate mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefault on your debt and turn the whole thing over to the franchisees - yeah that's right the ones that built business that you ran into the ground.

Very overworked with few opportunities for advancement.

Accountant (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat people at lower staff level. Management could bring in good people, but they could not keep them long enough to build a solid foundation.

ConsThe company was in a revolving door with people coming and going, few had any institutional knowledge, and those of that did had an unbalanced burden of the important work dumped on us with inadequate support.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to open the purse strings some and get adequate support for those people that would like to stay, but who get burned out from getting 10 things added to their "to do" list for each 3 they add to their "done" list.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you want a company to care about you, don't work here

Director (Current Employee)

ProsThe students CAN make progress if there are good directors who actually check in on their programs AND if there are good teachers hired.

ConsSO MANY. I have been a teacher and director.

MINIMAL PAY. SEVERAL new employees were hired after me and some made 10-20K more than I did, even though I've had several years of successful experience with the company and trained most of the new hires.

NONSENSICAL BONUSES- bonuses are essentially based off of hitting budget goals for the month and EBITDA goals for the year. What that means is your goals are essentially based off of how the center performed the prior year. SO if you are running a successful center that makes money you are LESS LIKELY to continue earning bonuses. New directors who are hired and work for lesser performing centers can do a semi-decent job and actually make bonuses where as veterans don't.

NO HELP FROM CORPORATE- I work for a corporate center and they essentially exist to tell you how crappy you are at the job. Minimal praise. Angry parents have complained that they can never find a corporate number to complain to.

HUGE TURNOVER- If you like interviewing constantly, this is a great position because it's impossible to keep tutors at the extremely low hourly wages.

NO EDUCATIONAL GOALS- The company literally has goals on ALL business matrix but doesn't care if the kids make growth. There is no longer an academic goal for an students. THEY CARE ABOUT DOLLARS NOT KIDS

SHADY!- The company emailed specific directors asking them to "sign up" for a date in order to post a review on glassdoor. They never told us to say positive things, BUT they only emailed CERTAIN directors. A BIT SKETCHY!

Bottom line: YOU ARE A TOOL. They don't give a crap about you, want you to work over 40+ hours a week, and pay you a salary that is totally arbitrary.

RUNNNN NOW. Go work for ANY OTHER company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Come run a center for a year or two before you try telling us how to do it.

Worked hard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to make a difference for kids is like no other feeling. it is truly fantastic... like flying in the sky.

ConsThe company charges family $45-65/HOUR per child. You are paid $10-15 even though you are working with three kids at once.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide equitable salaries.

Great Environment

Tutor (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFlexible Schedule, Very clean and respectful work environment, Friendly, helpful and dedicated staff

ConsThere is a mixture of student age and grade range sitting at the table your tutoring. This could be a challenge to tutor.

Bait and switch....slave labor

Director of Education (Former Employee)
    Lancaster, PA

ProsTeachers...working with students and families

ConsHigh pressure to conform to cookie cutter approaches
    Misrepresentation of job details
    Constant workload increases nit comparable to salary
    Lied about bonuses
    Mismanaged from the top down

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure any advice would help. They are blind to what us going on, regardless of the turnover they have year after year.

Not the best place to work

ProsGet to help students achieve academic goals.

ConsLow compensation for over worked staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore recognition for employees.

Great part time job

Teacher (Former Employee)

Prosflexibility, effective teaching materials, fun and friendly work environment, great for gaining experience working with different age levels and students with LDs

Consno pay increase, little compensation considering the credentials required

Unrealized Potential

Instructor (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsNice people with good intentions. With some adjustments to their methods, they could make an impact.

ConsA bit unorganized. Sometimes difficult to contact management. Seems like there are too many managers. If the accounting department errs on your paycheck, it will take time to fix.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have a captive audience, such as a classroom full of children, you should always be innovating on best practices. Don't always stick to your old methods. Sometimes your "bread and butter" becomes stale.

Worked for Sylvan Learning Centers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sylvan Learning Centers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sylvan Learning Centers CEO Jeffrey H. Cohen. All 166 reviews posted anonymously by Sylvan Learning Centers employees.