Sylvan Learning Centers

Updated August 28, 2014

3.2

Sylvan Learning Centers CEO Jeffrey H. Cohen
Jeffrey H. Cohen

Pros
  • working with students and families (in 8 reviews)

• The director of education and the administrators were extremely accommodating and helpful (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Full time meant that we ran on a school schedule for the school we worked for so we only averaged about 33 hours/week (in 10 reviews)

• If you are working as a part time teacher at Sylvan, your hours are in the hands of the parents (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Off-Site Part-Time Teacher

Current Employee - Part-Time Teacher  in  Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Teacher in Newark, CA

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

- Good pay, for the position
    - Positions close to my area.
    - Good curriculum to work with
    - Training easy and useful
    - Small class sizes

Cons

- Had issues with communication between the home office and the schools we were contracting with.
    - Only 4-5 hours a week, with very little opportunity to add hours.
    - No opportunity to transfer to different programs at the end of contract.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Pay, Great hoursx and Great kids. I loved tutoring

Cons

There is not one on one training

I think there should be some one on one training

Don't value teachers enough

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun to work with children, all the coworkers worked together well. There were also a lot of resources, and the SAT/ACT prep materials were excellent and well-organized

Cons

The hourly pay for teachers compared to what they are charging parents is abysmal. Their system was too stringent and didn't allow for freedom of teachers to tweak the curriculum

Less top-down management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Didn't fit their ideal employee

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great program and kids of all ages and backgrounds! I loved helpinh kids in aresa they struggled in and learned a lot myself. IPad teaching so helpful

Cons

The hrs are horrible you may work 30 in a. Month if you're lucky. Even when I told them it was my only job they cut my hrs. Then I was told I wasnt doing what they wanted and if I didn't teach better I was going to have to leave. I am a state certified teacher so I know what I'm doing. They were rude and never had paper when it was needed. You can't work for any tutoring place after or while you are there. I asked multiple times to be trained more in reading subjects since English is my specialty and I was ignored. Even after a year the new people were getting promoted and I felt I was being reprimanded. Brogjt to the attention of multiple managers and was told I was doing well until I was blind sided later. I could go on. It felt like a clique. Horrible place to work unless you just want fun money.

Be a good educator to your employees. Don't be the bully. I have never hated my field of work until I worked for you.

As rewarding as it is exhausting!

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working with the kids and seeing them learn and grow. The teachers are amazing. Great experience.

Cons

Horrible work/life balance. Long hours. Low pay for teachers.

Worth it

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The program is truly amazing and getting to see the difference in kids makes everything worth it. Flexible scheduling and opportunity for growth within the company. I started as a materials coordinator and moved to test administrator, teacher, program manager, and now Director of Education. Benefits for a corporate center were good with several options to choose from, franchise centers are different and my current benefits are not as good as when we were corporate owned. Every employee I hire say they learn a lot in their time at Sylvan that has better prepared them for a career as an educator. The only thing a teacher has to do after being trained on the programs is to come in and teach and go home. There is no lesson planning or testing or grading or finding clients or take home material.

Cons

There are a lot of responsibilities for a Director of Education, which is why (in my experience) they don't stay in the position very long. In my 6 years at Sylvan, I've worked under 4 DEs before becoming one myself. From sales to teaching to conferencing to testing to customer service to hiring and training and managing staff and schedules, it's a lot to be responsible for. Teachers don't typically stay very long either because of the somewhat low hourly wage and career development. This is just part time for a season for most teachers. Days are long for directors who open and close the center to keep other labor costs low. This is VERY important for Sylvan corporate and franchisees alike. The salary is comparable to a teacher's, not enough for what is demanded.

Find some other low cost options for families so more people have access to this great service and relieve the DE of some stressful duties to keep them happy and around longer. Make the salary match the demands

Great building block

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Verona, NJ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Verona, NJ

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

friendly people, well organized and decent base pay. Management is very competent and the company itself is run well and has a good online tutoring in addition to on site teaching.

Cons

not busy enough, not challenging to teach. Needs better marketing to attract wider clientele and generate more business. There should be a person in charge of recruiting instead of just the owner recruiting students in addition to doing her job scheduling people.

employ greater online recuiting of students and update SAT curriculum

Part-Time Employee

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great flexibility on choosing which days to work.

Cons

Only open in evenings and on weekends.

Enjoyed my experience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

The management was very organized. The customers wanted the help that was provided. The staff was nice and always willing to help.

Cons

The center I worked for closed down. For certified teachers the pay at the instructors level was not nearly enough to keep them employed. I had to have another job to help supplement the income.

It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting to work with kids is great.
    The teachers working there are normally very cool people.
    It can be fun at time.

Cons

The management could of been better.

Care more for employees.

Worked for Sylvan Learning Centers? Contribute to the Community!