Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

1. College job

Former Employee - Math Instructor
    Former Employee - Math Instructor

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

The feeling of making a difference in a child's life. The pay was nice for a college sudent. Hours were flexible.

Cons

If you don't have the patiene it can be difficult to teach kids. Some children come in with special needs and it can be mentally and emotionally tiring if you aren't prepared.

Advice to Management

Take more time to train your staff.

2. Good place to have on your resume

Former Employee - Academic Tutor in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Academic Tutor in Allen, TX

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience working with reluctant learners in a low stress atmosphere, helped me learn some key teaching strategies

Cons

Micro-managing. teacher assistants or managers not doing their jobs in preparing the teachers adequately

Advice to Management

Allow the centers to hire more teacher assistants that were not community college students/high school students who never showed up/never were available.

3. I was a part-time teacher for 2 1/2 years. Training involved online courses (okay program) and some observation.

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed, welcoming atmosphere. Owner/Director was great, very helpful. She understood many teachers in her center were full-time teachers in public/private schools or had other jobs, so she would be very flexible when making the schedule. It was a great work environment; unfortunately, the Center's rent skyrocketed so they had to close it down.

Cons

Low hourly rate ($12 an hour) when you could easily charge $25 plus an hour if you were to tutor privately. Also, when student numbers are low, that means your hours got cut.

Advice to Management

My boss had little support from corporate, so my advice to corporate would be to show appreciation for your franchises... they're the reason your brand stays afloat! If you promise advertising to better the brand/franchises, do it!

5. Low Pay For A Sales Job

Current Employee - Center Director in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Center Director in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The program works and you get to make a difference for kids.

Cons

The company is behind the times. The pay is not nearly commensurate with the effort required to run a profitable center.

Advice to Management

Time to change or check out of the game.

6. Great Learning Experience, but perhaps a little unstable.

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

Owners are caring and fun. Teachers are great--knowledgeable and caring! Flexible scheduling. Sylvan is definitely a tutoring service that works. It's a great feeling to work with students of all ages and share success stories with parents.

Cons

Kind of slow-paced. Very little input in marketing, but high performance demands. Low budgets, and it can be quite embarrassing to not have supplies for the center. Very low commission.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook the little things: toys for the student store, cleaning supplies, teacher supplies. Invest time in your centers and personally spearhead grass roots marketing campaigns until the business is at a steady growth rate. You can't have those expectations of your Center Directors when they don't have the time and resources available to do this properly.

7. Calm Working Environment

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Wheaton, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

Everyone was friendly and was always willing to help.

Cons

They only operate certain hours of the week.

8. Very rewarding working with the parents and students!

Former Employee - Director of Education in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Education in Laguna Niguel, CA

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was certainly something different going on every day, making the job very interesting! I enjoyed working with the students from time to time, as well as getting to regularly meet with the parents.

Cons

Things went a little roughly during a transition between center directors for awhile.
    Being scheduled to work 9-6 and ending up staying until 8pm or later multiple times could get stressful.
    The benefits weren't the best that I've had.

Advice to Management

Making sure all of the directors are trained properly early on and know the programs inside and out when they sell them to new inquiries.

9. A good experience

Current Employee - TEACHERS ASSISTANT
    Current Employee - TEACHERS ASSISTANT

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere was very relaxed and everyone seemed to enjoy the work that they did. The focus was on the students where it should be.

Cons

Depending on how many students are currently enrolled, the work is something slim pickings. Often called off of work when not needed.

10. please note that my reviews are based on a specific franchise and not sylvan as a corporate entity

Former Employee - Director of Education, Center Director, Instructor
    Former Employee - Director of Education, Center Director, Instructor

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

you were allowed to let your children attend tutoring for free. However, I very rarely utilize this, because the owner of the franchise that often complain about teachers who did utilize it.

Cons

the owner refused to pay the money to send me to the two week training program. I do not feel like my job was ever able to be done effectively and efficiently because I was never properly trained. There are no benefits. The rate of pay is awful.

Advice to Management

I would require that franchisees have to send their center directors and directors of education to the training. I would also recommend that you do something about the rate of pay.

11. Good company, but loosing money now.

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

Good benefits, good managers, good work life balance

Cons

company is losing money now,

Sylvan Learning Centers Photos