Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

Reset

1. School Partnerships Director

Former Employee - School Partnerships Director in Lebanon, OH
    Former Employee - School Partnerships Director in Lebanon, OH

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers (More than a year)

Pros

there are none to speak of

Cons

Bad Franchise to work for with many dishonest people

Advice to Management

Be honest and treat people with respect!

2. Mission is good... support systems lacking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working with the kids! And getting the word out there that Sylvan does STEM! Feels good to make a difference and see families smile when see their kids improving!

Cons

Not a lot of support with onboarding & training as well as reporting of metrics.

3. It was fine

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

Really enjoyed my co workers

Cons

Difficult business, especially after 2008

Director

Current Employee - Director in Hamilton, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Hamilton, NJ

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sylvan Learning in Hamilton changed ownership over 3 years ago and I have been an employee ever since. The atmosphere is professional, encouraging and motivating. I love working here and seeing that "ah ha moment" with all of our students.

Cons

Hours can be long for full-time staff, but time management is key.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. tutiring

Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Tutor in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sylvan learning center is an easy in the can lesson plan to follow,but you have to adapt it to your calssdrooom culture.

Cons

Sylvan learning center offers too few hour and not enough tutoring assdignmrnts on a consisrent basis. Rnyering houts through online system is too complicatrd.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent and organized with assigments and exprctations of employees

7. Reading Tudor School Programs

Current Employee - Reading Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reading Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working in the Dallas ISD schools made the job like a regular school teaching job. You worked the same schedule as the schools, there was no late afternoons or evenings or Saturdays. And you were off when the schools were off. Of course that could work against you on snow days--being hourly meant if you don't work you don't get paid. I worked at two different schools, being at one 3 days a week and a different school 2 days a week. Which is also a pro- you could choose to just work a 3 day week at one school or add days at another school like I did. There were days when the schools didn't want us there because of testing or practice testing, etc. That could eat into your pay. At the same time if a class went on a field trip or had an assembly, the students would not show up and you got paid for a free period or more. There were some days we only saw kids 2 periods out of 5 or 6 because the kids were tied up with some other activity. Be sure to take a book or something to do. We always stayed in the classroom because sometimes the kids would show up for half the period. Another good thing is that there is usually 3 to 4 teachers in a classroom, teaching 3 or fewer students each at a table. So you are not alone, if you run into a problem. If you're lucky to be assigned with good people it can be a great experience. I guess if you're unlucky and get stuck with bad people it could backfire. Luckily at both schools I was with great people. We are on summer break right now so the program has ended. We were told to reapply in July for next school year. Management spoke as if they would bring back those who wanted but there was no guarantees given. So I consider myself still employed but just on hiatus. However if you want guarantees and solid commitments then this program would not be for you. It's an environment for those who don't like supervisors looking over your shoulder. We communicate with management by emails, phone calls, texts and only one day a week would a supervisor come to the campuses and always on a set day. We clocked into work by phone into a computerized system, we did have a "lead teacher" at one of my campuses, but it was an informal position, we all contributed to decision making as to what happened in the classroom. Sylvan gave us a free hand at working, because we were all certified, experienced teachers they provided the curriculum materials but it was up to us to how to teach it . And we all had our own style that blended well in my case. We rotated students sometimes and we had periods where each teacher kept the same students to be consistent. Most periods we had no more than 12 students, usually 9 or so. We had the capability to do one on one with some students who had more problems. We saw the same kids for the whole year with a few exceptions and we ended the year with some very positive results. At least at the two schools I worked at, I was lucky enough to work with some very fine teachers. I am a twenty year veteran who taught all levels from K through adult and retired. And that would be my advice as to who might benefit from this job. A retired teacher who wants to supplement your income. If you need 40 hours a week every week all year long then I would look somewhere else. I worked with one other retired teacher and the others were 15 year plus experienced who needed part time teaching for various reasons. If you're in a similar position, you might like this job.

Cons

And that leads me to the cons--no guarantees from management about what was going to happen. To be fair, this is a new program and I feel that they were working out bugs and learning as they went along. We rarely knew much in advance as far as schedules went, and there were unexpected periods of no work, such as December. The schools scheduled various tests and practice tests and other activities and didn't need us on campus for about half of the month that was available before the Christmas break. We teachers were not told about December until just before Thanksgiving. And then management talked very vaguely about when the program would end in the spring. In December we were told we might end in March or April! Finally at the end of April they gave us an end date of May 23rd. And then we found out on May 6th we were ending on May 8th! Some us were counting on another couple of weeks of pay! Some schools ran longer because they had a larger budget but it was very inconsistent and we felt like the management didn't know what they were doing. There were times when resources were not available. There were times we had to improvise a lot but I had to do that when I was teaching regularly in a public school. Experienced teachers will find most of the cons of Sylvan consistent with any other teaching job they've had. To tell the truth the cons were more just irritants than deal breakers. It was nothing worse than you'd experience in any teaching job. Of course the pay was pretty low for the experienced teachers they were getting. That would probably be a deciding factor in returning to Sylvan. Again, I would recommend the job to a retired teacher with another income source, or a teacher in between gigs, or an experienced ex teacher who needs a part time income--it still beats retail--and in this job you are still a TEACHER and not a tutor. We were teaching full lessons to those kids everyday, not just helping them do their homework. Some small stuff--don't expect much in the way of office supplies and supplements--and the classroom that you're assigned school gives you may not be the best. At one of my school we were in a very nice portable that had a little bit of old junk left in it but at my other school we were put in an old classroom that was pretty trashy and definitely being used for storage. We worked around empty boxes, old floor buffers, old out of date computer equipment, etc. So be prepared not to be treated like royalty as far as go. Again, keep in mind that the job is hourly (no benefits) and you don't earn if you don't work so if there is a snow day--no pay! And when the school has extended testing or practice testing or some other activity and they decide they don't want the Sylvan teachers there--no pay! Perhaps Sylvan will be more aggressive with the school admin to get some advanced notice about these times. You know well ahead of time you'll miss a week's pay for Spring Break, so it would be nice if you knew ahead of time you'll miss a week's pay for a week of practice testing or whatever.

Advice to Management

Get organized! Try to give the teachers more information especially for schedules. Try to push the school administrations to tell you any plans that might affect your teachers. Treat your teachers with respect. Most of them taught alot of years and they know what to do. Don't talk down to them. Pay them more!

8. A great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pottstown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pottstown, PA

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

Small, close-knit employee family, positive parent interaction

Cons

hours were somewhat inconsistent at times

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

9. Great Summer Job

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with the scheduling.

Cons

The pay was not so great and not nearly enough hours.

10. Sylvan

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Graham, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Graham, WA

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers (Less than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, and nice kids to work with. Some flexibility in work schedule.

Cons

No pay raises, no paid sick days, holidays, or vacation days.

11. Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my my center and my boss is great. Also very understanding with scheduling. There is always room to grow within the company

Cons

The staff is constantly changing.

RSS Feed </> Embed