Sylvan Learning Centers

Updated September 20, 2014
3.3

Sylvan Learning Centers CEO Jeffrey H. Cohen
Jeffrey H. Cohen

Pros
  • I started as a tutor and was promoted to Director of Education and then Center Director (in 8 reviews)

• working with students and families (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • When they claim that you'll be working "full-time" you should inquire about exactly how many hours you'll be getting (in 11 reviews)

• If you are working as a part time teacher at Sylvan, your hours are in the hands of the parents (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

As rewarding as it is exhausting!

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working with the kids and seeing them learn and grow. The teachers are amazing. Great experience.

Cons

Horrible work/life balance. Long hours. Low pay for teachers.

Worth it

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The program is truly amazing and getting to see the difference in kids makes everything worth it. Flexible scheduling and opportunity for growth within the company. I started as a materials coordinator and moved to test administrator, teacher, program manager, and now Director of Education. Benefits for a corporate center were good with several options to choose from, franchise centers are different and my current benefits are not as good as when we were corporate owned. Every employee I hire say they learn a lot in their time at Sylvan that has better prepared them for a career as an educator. The only thing a teacher has to do after being trained on the programs is to come in and teach and go home. There is no lesson planning or testing or grading or finding clients or take home material.

Cons

There are a lot of responsibilities for a Director of Education, which is why (in my experience) they don't stay in the position very long. In my 6 years at Sylvan, I've worked under 4 DEs before becoming one myself. From sales to teaching to conferencing to testing to customer service to hiring and training and managing staff and schedules, it's a lot to be responsible for. Teachers don't typically stay very long either because of the somewhat low hourly wage and career development. This is just part time for a season for most teachers. Days are long for directors who open and close the center to keep other labor costs low. This is VERY important for Sylvan corporate and franchisees alike. The salary is comparable to a teacher's, not enough for what is demanded.

Find some other low cost options for families so more people have access to this great service and relieve the DE of some stressful duties to keep them happy and around longer. Make the salary match the demands

Great building block

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Verona, NJ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Verona, NJ

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

friendly people, well organized and decent base pay. Management is very competent and the company itself is run well and has a good online tutoring in addition to on site teaching.

Cons

not busy enough, not challenging to teach. Needs better marketing to attract wider clientele and generate more business. There should be a person in charge of recruiting instead of just the owner recruiting students in addition to doing her job scheduling people.

employ greater online recuiting of students and update SAT curriculum

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Part-Time Employee

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great flexibility on choosing which days to work.

Cons

Only open in evenings and on weekends.

It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting to work with kids is great.
    The teachers working there are normally very cool people.
    It can be fun at time.

Cons

The management could of been better.

Care more for employees.

Enjoyed my experience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

The management was very organized. The customers wanted the help that was provided. The staff was nice and always willing to help.

Cons

The center I worked for closed down. For certified teachers the pay at the instructors level was not nearly enough to keep them employed. I had to have another job to help supplement the income.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Tutor in Orem, UT

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Afternoon Schedule, so easy to have another job

Cons

Max was 12 hours a week that I could work

None

At the franchise level, very rewarding, hands-on work in education dealing with families and students.

Current Employee - Dual Center Director  in  Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Dual Center Director in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Our center was composed of like-minded teachers and directors. The executive director had unique and excellent leadership skills. Very little conflict in this office, just results for families.

Cons

Compensation could be low especially in geographic areas where the economy is taking a hit.

Corporate management is generally out of touch with franchised centers. Very poor flow of communication between the two. As a result, many corporate decisions are made without regard for the franchises and it is usually to the detriment of the franchised centers and their employees.

Everyone at Sylvan really cares about helping the students.

Current Employee - Teacher's Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher's Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Making a difference in children's lives and instilling a love of learning in them. We love making school easier for them and boosting their confidence.

Cons

There is a lot of behind the scenes work done to get personalized lessons ready for the students and some students are poorly behaved and we are not really allowed to discipline them.

Every once in a while things seem a little disorganized and the teachers seem lazy some times, making the teachers assistants do everything for them.

Good company to work for . Helps alot of children though adults

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Helping all of the students to learn to find there confidence again.

Cons

none that I can think of.

work on keeping the prices controlled to attract more parents

Sylvan Learning Centers Photos

Read Across America Day - Reading to a local school
Sylvan Learning Center Enrollment
Sylvan Learning Center Instruction
Sylvan Learning Center Owner

+ Add Photo

Worked for Sylvan Learning Centers? Contribute to the Community!