Sylvan Learning Centers

Great Coworkers insufficient salary

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

My coworkers were terrific to work with and helpful with tips. I found their attitudes were positive overall and appreciated this.

Cons

Communication was not always clear and training was vague at best. Salary was insufficient and time-off policies were a challenge.

Provide clear expectations and training along with better pay.

Teacher assistant

Former Employee - Teacher's Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher's Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I liked the people, the teachers are so nice... The management was awesome and genuinely loves to help people

Cons

I did not get trained well at all. They did not make sure I knew how to perform all tasks and a lot of time I was lost and had to ask for help for the 6 months I was there

Create a training program for new people

Making a difference in people's lives.

Current Employee - Instructor in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of flexibility in your schedule, everyone is really nice and appreciative.

Cons

Not a lot of hours.

Great part time teaching job

Current Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I teach at one of the Centers. The supervisors and staff are friendly and professional, and rapport with the students is great. It has been no problem to take a day (or week) off when I've wanted it.

Cons

Sometimes hours get curtailed due to student cancellations.

Excellent place to work

Former Employee - Math Teacher in Adrian, MI
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Adrian, MI

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Low stress high fun interaction with young people. No lesson planning and little evaluation time. Able to go "off script" when needed. Several positions to add to primary discipline.

Cons

There is little room for advancement. Hours are limited and are dependent on community needs which fluctuate during the school year. There is very little work during the summer.

Keep up the good work!

If you are actually trying to further your child's education, I would not suggest sending them to Sylvan.

Former Employee - Math Tutor
    Former Employee - Math Tutor

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours. Were willing to work with conflicting schedules. Easy to ask for, and receive, days off in advance. Rewarding working with children.

Cons

Working with three kids ranging from all ages at one time can be very difficult to handle, not to mention each child is not getting individualized attention. Hourly pay is extremely low considering they are making hundreds of dollars off of you each hour. I would consider my position at Sylvan as more of a glorified babysitter, if you are actually trying to further your child's education, I would never suggest sending them to Sylvan. For the same money that you would spend on one hour at Sylvan, you could pay a private tutor and receive multiple hours of individualized attention for your child. They only allowed 5 minutes each hour to record detailed reports on each child, and prepare for the next hour's session, which can be next to impossible when you are teaching three kids at one time. They expected you to be there 10 minutes early and leave 5 minutes after your shift had ended, meaning they would only allow you to clock in for an extra 15 minutes each shift, which underestimated the time you were actually there setting up and putting everything away. I also noticed that my director would go into my clocked in time after I had recorded it and round down the times that I had put in. For example, we had a meeting and I clocked in for the exact time I was there, which was an hour and 15 minutes, later I noticed that my director had gone in and changed the time I had been there from an hour and 15 minutes to one hour. I received checks for mileage for driving to the satellite centers, however I would not receive them until a month later. At the end of each month, I would send them a record of all of the miles I had driven for that month, and would have to wait until the end of the next month to actually receive my compensation for those miles, which is pretty ridiculous when I had spent over $200 in gas alone and could not receive reimbursement for that until a month later, while expected to waste another $200 in gas during that month. They would send out the schedule on Friday for the next week starting on Monday, which was not enough time in advance. I also had an issue with how the directors would speak to me about scheduling and last minute changes. For example, they would send me an email the hour before on the day of a session and say something like, "There was a mistake on the schedule and you were supposed to be scheduled from this time until this time." Meaning they would tell me an hour before I was supposed to be there, and expect me to be able to change all plans I might have had, in order to be there for the extra hours because of these "mistakes on the schedule". I would have much preferred if they would have asked, "can you pick up these extra hours?" rather than telling me there was a "mistake" on the schedule they had sent out the week before. Clearly, there were never any mistakes on the schedule, they were just trying to maximize their profit and took on extra kids last minute for sessions, and expected me to be incredibly flexible. Another complaint I had, was that they would schedule me for only two hours at a time, which was hardly worth the gas money to drive there and back. Also, on several occasions, if one kid would cancel last minute they would send a tutor home and move kids to another tutor in order to maximize their profit once again. On several occasions, I would get to the center and the director would tell me that they forgot to tell me my session was canceled and not allow me to clock in. Long story short, if you tell them you are available at all times, they will take advantage of you. I used to pick up shifts and cover for people last minute all of the time, and the one time I needed someone to cover for me, in the year I had worked there, because a family member had been taken to the hospital, I asked two hours before my short 2 hour scheduled session if someone could cover for me, and was told that there was nobody and I had to go to the session. I understand that I was scheduled, however, I figured that since I was expected to come in for extra hours that had been tacked on with less than an hours notice all of the time, that they would be able to find someone else for this one exception. Another complaint I had was I would be expected to teach reading sometimes because they would not want to call in another tutor and have to pay them for their time. I am not a certified teacher, and have no experience teaching reading whatsoever, but I was expected to do it, which is not only unfair to me, but also to the parents and children. Overall, I would say if you like getting taken advantage of and receiving a small paycheck, a tutor position at Sylvan is the job for you!

You're just tutoring children part-time, nothing special

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

You really get to enjoy working with kids and the setting is very casual, yet professional at the same time

Cons

It was only a part-time job, so there was not a lot in store in terms of personal growth or advancement within Sylvan

n/a

Great co-workers, boss...

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Great co-workers, boss, families really want the best for their children.

Cons

Feeling bad when families can't afford the programs, lots of work for little pay.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Center Director in Wasilla, AK
    Former Employee - Center Director in Wasilla, AK

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started as a tutor and was promoted to Director of Education and then Center Director. The center was a small one located in Wasilla, Alaska. Great staff and owner.

Cons

Hours were hard on family life.

Good place to work but can be frustrating

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding to help students achieve goals, friendly staff

Cons

lack of communication, employee turnover, constant shift in focus, lack of support from senior management.

more support from senior management

Sylvan Learning Centers Photos