Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

Reset

1. Sylvan

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Graham, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Graham, WA

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers (Less than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, and nice kids to work with. Some flexibility in work schedule.

Cons

No pay raises, no paid sick days, holidays, or vacation days.

2. Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my my center and my boss is great. Also very understanding with scheduling. There is always room to grow within the company

Cons

The staff is constantly changing.

3. Wonderful Experience

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Working with students, great educational experience

Cons

Limited to after school hours, weekend availability

5. Tutor

Current Employee - Teacher/Tutor
    Current Employee - Teacher/Tutor

Pros

Flexibility of hours. Good off site pay. Wonderful small group and one on one instruction

Cons

Significantly lower pay for on site hourly wage. Low hours.

Advice to Management

At the on site locations, employees should be able to have the same work stations to avoid time lost, and confusion for both the employees and the students regarding where they are supposed to go.

6. Tutor

Pros

They are flexible with your work/family schedule

Cons

Pay in relation to education and what customers are paying. They also seem to only hire women as directors.

Advice to Management

Hire more male directors.

7. Center Director

Pros

Great Co-workers, excellent Executive management team, and the ability to act as an owner of a local business while having a safety net.

Cons

None to speak of at this time.

8. OK experience

Former Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Usually had work for me, but sometimes canceled esp during times of poor economy and summer season. Wonderful coworkers and very warm and friendly supervisor

Cons

Frustrating when people who were hired several months after me were given more hours in my specialties than I was. I was never told why this was, if there was anything I could do to get more hours, etc. I never once received a bad comment or complaint from my supervisor, so I would expect my performance should have been good enough to receive those hours.

Good part-time gig for a full-time teacher

Former Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Waterville, ME
    Former Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Waterville, ME

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The school base program hours were perfect for working around my teaching scheduled. You are paid for prep time. which is time. The administrative staff (whom you never meet) are easy to work with. Out site director was great to work with and very organized.

Cons

Several students were habitually absent or had behavioral problems. The company did not want to deal with the issues and we were left to try to make the best of it. However, they were very detrimental to the program. At the end of the program, scores did not improve to the levels as hoped and this was the reason why.

Advice to Management

Dismiss students who cannot adhere to basic levels of behavioral expectations so all students can learn instead of trying to get every dollar possible by enrolling the maximum number of students.

10. Flexible part-time work

Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're a single teacher who would like to make more money on the side, this is the place. Being an accredited teacher basically qualifies you for employment at a Sylvan Learning Center, provided that you aren't a terrible person and can get through a behavioral interview, which, I grant, can differ greatly based on your local learning center. Fairly bureaucratized and automated (with pre-tests, logs, syllabi, course materials) so all you have to show up, pick up the child's binder (even if you haven't had this specific child before), and teach.

Cons

Fairly low hourly pay, very slow raises, last-second cancellations (or additions) by parents, some unmotivated kids with highly motivated parents (which results in you being blamed for the child's lack of improvement)

11. Great job, but is not a job you can live off of.

Current Employee - Sylvan Tutor in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Sylvan Tutor in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sylvan allows you to work as few or as many classes as you would like. The hourly rate is pretty good, and they also offer bonuses. The lesson plans are already made out for you, so there is hardly ever any reason to take work home.

Cons

There are no full-time teaching positions, so you have to work a full-time job along side Sylvan just to make ends meet. Sometimes management is very bad about responding to emails and answering phone calls; it can be very difficult to get a hold of someone.

Advice to Management

Respond to your employees in a more timely fashion.

RSS Feed </> Embed