Sylvan Learning Centers

Updated October 8, 2014
3.3

Sylvan Learning Centers CEO Jeffrey H. Cohen
Jeffrey H. Cohen

Pros
  • I started as a tutor and was promoted to Director of Education and then Center Director (in 8 reviews)

• working with students and families (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • When they claim that you'll be working "full-time" you should inquire about exactly how many hours you'll be getting (in 11 reviews)

• If you are working as a part time teacher at Sylvan, your hours are in the hands of the parents (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

asked to do developmentally inappropriate things with children

Former Employee - Tutor in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pretty decent pay per hour
    other teachers at center were friendly

Cons

not many hours, sometimes only would schedule you for 1 hour
    many children would be scheduled for 3 hour long sessions; it was developmentally inappropriate since 4 or 5 year old children should not have a 3 hour tutoring session
    center more concerned with profits than teaching children

managers do not give teachers enough support when children at their table are not behaving-leave teachers to deal with behavior problems

Great working with kids, however I would hate to own the place.

Former Employee - Center Director
    Former Employee - Center Director

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is a great opportunity to work with children and help them succeed. The clients are really happy, although it is very expensive.

Cons

Not great pay, and inconsistent for teachers. For management it's a lot of work and not the best pay. Really motivated owners seem to do well but it is time intensive and a lot of luck is required.

Not sure if the company is going to stay together at its current trajectory. Seems that many franchisees are very dissatisfied with the way things are going.

Good for temporary part-time work for college students

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very short hours where I worked, easy to focus on other priorities such as school

Cons

No real room for advancement

Not worth the headache

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedules, ability to move up quickly within the company, coworkers who really care about the kids

Cons

Disorganized management; treating education as a business instead of a way to really help kids; dishonest owners; horrible pay for what they charge families - even for licensed teachers; last-minute schedule changes and scrambling to "fill in the blanks"

The training for teachers should be QUALITY and should be something you are really concerned with. Don't hand this off to your program managers, who get burned out after three training sessions a week.

When you offer a certain hourly rate to an employee, DON'T try to get around it by asking your program manager to "try to get him to accept less." Just don't play games, in general, and deal with things as they arise. Don't put things off until they are at a boiling point and then blame everyone else for your poor foresight.

Inconsistent and no follow through

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Families and students were great, Has the potential to be a fun place to work.

Cons

Franchise was unorganized and had no follow through. Bottom line was the most important thing. No life/work balance. No regards to commitments made.

Great stepping stone position

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All the staff truly care about helping children meet their educational goals.

Cons

Hours are non traditional with most of the work after 3 PM and on weekends.

Bad Experience with owners

Former Employee - Center Director in Northwest, OH
    Former Employee - Center Director in Northwest, OH

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job itself would have been great. I feel it would have given an intrinsic feeling of helping children reach educational goals.

Cons

Sylvan Learning Center is a Franchise and because of this, it's important to know who you're working for. My experience was horrible. I was not properly trained and then let go before given a chance because I was not moving forward.

I took a position that was offered to me by a husband and wife team who own five Sylvan Learning Centers in NW Ohio. During both interviews I was told that I would be the Center Director for two locations (which is obviously not typical) and there would be one Director of Education as well for the two centers. Both people chosen for either position would have to learn the other's job in order to be able to run the centers. I did have second thoughts about accepting this position because one center was an hour drive and the owners had set up the hours to be 10-6. Being a mother, it was going to make it difficult. However, I was told that once the center began to do better financially, that all of this would change. I went ahead and took the position and in both interviews expressed that I am a person who needs to ask questions when being trained. That although the questions may seem obvious with the answers, I was a person to make sure. This was answered to me as a good thing and that no question would be a dumb one.
    Jumping ahead now, the first week I shadowed another Center Director for three days. The owners were in Las Vegas that week that was work related. The next two weeks were two of the worst weeks that I've ever experienced starting a new company. There was barely any training. Both wife and husband were extremely impersonal, questions asked were judged immediately, both talked badly about customers, students, past employees and present employees. The husband made it clear to me that I was to sit one of the teachers in the back and the more "attractive" one in the front so that parents could see that particular person. They were both too busy to train me, put huge expectations on me without any type of structure with training. I felt so out of place and dreaded going into the work place every day. However, I tried to maintain a positive attitude. The job itself would have been great, working for different owners under different circumstances. Unfortunately, this was a horrible experience that affected my overall opinion of Sylvan. The teachers were great, the parents and the children were great, but parents are fooled if they think that their children are in good hands with people who truly care about their education. It's all about money and strictly money and short cuts are made because of money. I have never met two more judgmental, impersonal, demotivating, and clearly not knowledgeable in the training process, then these two people. I was let go after basically two weeks, because I expressed concern early on about the drive and not being home till late (in interview and asked wife a question about DE and CD being able to work mostly from office closest to us), that I wasn't "in charge" enough and that I wasn't a "good" fit. After two weeks of working with the owners, they let me go without proper training and without any warning. Extremely unprofessional.

Teaching and co-workers are positives; everything else is negative.

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Started out as a nice way to earn additional income doing something I love. The students are fun, and I like the individual programs. Very flexible with time requested off.

Cons

Pay is ridiculously low. Instructors are sometimes required to teach three different programs in a given hour. No steady hours. Sometimes I drive all the way to the center only to be told I am not needed. Other times tables are "condensed" after the hour has started and instructors are sent home early. I have worked many unpaid hours because of poor management.

Centers need more hours for updating and administration. Management seems to more concerned about optimizing profit than delivering quality instruction.

Tutor

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The other tutors and students are great. There are no parent conferences or paperwork to complete. You just tutor then leave.

Cons

The pay sucks. I made more without a college degree. This job is just for pocket change and the love of teaching.

Good Teachers, poor management

Current Employee - Tutor/Teacher in Palmyra, PA
    Current Employee - Tutor/Teacher in Palmyra, PA

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible extra income around traditional school hours. Enjoy helping students succeed.

Cons

Rate of pay is very low for a tutor. Very difficult to give adequate support to multiple students. Expensive for families- profits not filtered to the teachers who do the daily interactions with the students

Higher wages; more individualized programs. iPad programs are very generic and do not meet the needs of every student that comes through the door.

Sylvan Learning Centers Photos