Symantec

Symantec Reviews in California

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies(in 191 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good(in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this(in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF(in 63 reviews)

455 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great!

Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsEmployees are positive as is the culture.

ConsCulture was a bit silo'd when I started.. We gained C level buy in to change that.

Associate Support center analyst

Support (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

Proslots of opportunity to grow in carrer

Consupper management don't seem to care with the company's goal... too many changes on C level part

Advice to Senior Managementinvest onto your employee (training and recognition) so that we can also support your product with outstanding level

Unstable place to work in.

Intern (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsNice people, decent pay, offers employees the opportunity to work remotely.

ConsPoor management that keeps changing. People are laid off at will. No job security or direction for professional growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A big mess

Senior Director (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGood pay, established brand, relatively good work-life balance

Cons3 CEO's in the last 2 years, broken processes, huge executive turnover, continuing layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO in; Cut the fat and the crappy products; make people accountable

Not the Symantec of old...the good people jumped ship over the last 2 years

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsSome groups have a very good work environme

ConsMost groups work people like slaves and a lot of upper management has no clue how to manage

Advice to Senior ManagementClean how with your VPs and Directors...if you are not positive they are great then they aren't

Transformation again.....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsTalented people that want to do a good job. Pay and benefits are good and the office environment is very nice. Symantec also offers some remote opprtunities which can be a great way to balance your life.

ConsThree CEO's in the past three years and two major reorganizations have damaged the culture and the work environment. Strategy keeps changing and people are leaving either by choice or by layoffs. Company is not in growth mode at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy and stick to it.

Currently Total Chaos

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsPay and benefits are pretty good. Very flexible about your schedule, ability to work remotely, and decent work-life balance for many.

ConsCompany is losing market share, executive leadership is a revolving door, constant shift in strategy and organizational structure - they cannot seem to get it together. Many just are there to collect a paycheck and do as little as possible, not great cooperation across teams and groups, takes 100 people to make one tiny decision, which paralyzes anyone who actually wants to get things done. I feel totally disengaged and do not feel confident about the future of the company at this point.

Good

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros1. Less work pressure
    2. Give oppurtunity to switch teams

Cons1. No Vision
    2. Not engineering driver.

Thirsty for innovation

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsNice benefits package. Freedom to find work that you enjoy. Interesting problems to solve.

ConsChange there is hard to accept. Highest levels of management want change that will allow us to write adaptable software. Middle management loves the status quo of crunches and featureless software because that process of mediocrity is well defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany people at the company are afraid of failure. Take away their reasons to fear it.

Glory days of the company are long gone, only misery and incompetence remains

Alpha and Omega (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsAt the time I left there were really none, and according to all accounts it has not gotten any better. As a previous review stated spot on, the politics are worse than Washington D.C. so I guess if you love playing political games this may be a positive for you.

ConsThe uncertainty and upheaval that have taken place the past few years has already been well documented here in previous reviews and elsewhere. What is less discussed is the enormous amount of 'brain drain' that has taken place as a result. Very few truly technically competent individuals remain, and the few that do remain are basically in hands-off-the-code 'technical' 'leadership' positions where they generally sit around doing next to nothing to earn their enormous and unjustified salaries, and were far more survivors of the political game as previously noted and endless purges than actually accomplished technical savants, gurus, etc. This refers to the bulk of D, E, and higher level technical employees from principal and senior principal to architect to fellow and distinguished engineer as well as technical director and VP.

The bulk of the actual coding developers and engineers now are extremely low skilled H1B Visa employees, at least in the states, as the company has attempted to maintain its profit margins by gutting the 'overpriced' competent technical staff and replacing it en masse with cheaper labor. These are the B, C, and D grade grunts in the trenches. But as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for" or in this case, what you don't pay for, with the result being a tremendous drop in quality and talent over the past few years and hence the loss of virtually all competitive advantage and in fact being left behind or completely missing the market on new and emerging technologies.

At this point there are really only 4 types of employees at Symantec - 1 is the executive leadership and board of directors who have played the political game to perfection up to this point, second are the wannabe #1s - the lower management, technical management, and middle management which has been gutted the past couple of years but no where near enough to where it should be as there are still endless redundancies and tremendous amounts of gross incompetence among its ranks. Third are the aforementioned H1B Visa low(er) pay and even lower skilled workers, who are flourishing. Fourth and final are the dying breed, the regular old timer technical employees that never or poorly played the political game and have all but become extinct. If you are 1-3 you have great potential on this slowly sinking ship, but for #4 there is a much better life for you elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is more general advice to the average employee. Given how quickly management and staff is culled at the company from top to bottom and how it is slowly sinking, be ready to jump at any moment thus have your contacts, network, resume etc. all in place and ready to go. If you really want to find out how valuable you are to the company, give them notice - if your manager/director and manager's manager (director/VP) drop everything and throw a counter at you (usually to the tune of 25-50% more salary and other benefits, perks, etc.) you KNOW they have been using and abusing you and vastly underpaying you, and are now scrambling to keep you after no doubt years of mistreatment. If not, well, have your ducks in a row and jump!!!

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!