Symantec

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.2 1,575 reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies(in 191 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good(in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this(in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF(in 63 reviews)

1,575 Employee Reviews

Unstable place to work in.

Intern (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsNice people, decent pay, offers employees the opportunity to work remotely.

ConsPoor management that keeps changing. People are laid off at will. No job security or direction for professional growth.

Company that is searching for future direction

ProsVery good work environment and great people assets

ConsLack of focussed roadmap, leadership and vision

A big mess

Senior Director (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGood pay, established brand, relatively good work-life balance

Cons3 CEO's in the last 2 years, broken processes, huge executive turnover, continuing layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO in; Cut the fat and the crappy products; make people accountable

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the Symantec of old...the good people jumped ship over the last 2 years

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsSome groups have a very good work environme

ConsMost groups work people like slaves and a lot of upper management has no clue how to manage

Advice to Senior ManagementClean how with your VPs and Directors...if you are not positive they are great then they aren't

Transformation again.....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsTalented people that want to do a good job. Pay and benefits are good and the office environment is very nice. Symantec also offers some remote opprtunities which can be a great way to balance your life.

ConsThree CEO's in the past three years and two major reorganizations have damaged the culture and the work environment. Strategy keeps changing and people are leaving either by choice or by layoffs. Company is not in growth mode at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy and stick to it.

A desk job that's made for coasting through your career.

Training (Former Employee)

Proswork-life balance is wonderful. show up, sit there and do your day-to-day. they have a decent benefits package. If you're not looking to challenge yourself and are OK with being part of the herd, this is perfect.

ConsTerrible management. I should have seen the red flags when my manager would say things like "I don't like managing people" or he would come in and sit at his desk all day with headphones on - not once did he join anyone else for lunch. What kind of company promotes, (that's right he was promoted) a hermit to manage a team of people?!?!? He also didn't mind throwing other people under the bus to save himself. There are no clearly defined expectations, projects are a joke as they serve vague business purposes. The worst part, this company is able to sleep at night after laying off a 5 month old pregnant woman!!! whoa... If you're looking for a company recognizes talent, fosters innovation and creativity while maintaining a moral standard... you're going to want to run far far away from Symantec.

Advice to Senior ManagementCLEARLY DEFINED EXPECTATIONS are a must. And don't sit down with an employee and give them grades on some stupid chart that was pulled off the internet.

Currently Total Chaos

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsPay and benefits are pretty good. Very flexible about your schedule, ability to work remotely, and decent work-life balance for many.

ConsCompany is losing market share, executive leadership is a revolving door, constant shift in strategy and organizational structure - they cannot seem to get it together. Many just are there to collect a paycheck and do as little as possible, not great cooperation across teams and groups, takes 100 people to make one tiny decision, which paralyzes anyone who actually wants to get things done. I feel totally disengaged and do not feel confident about the future of the company at this point.

Years of working there and no direction of the manager I had.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with some great people.

ConsToo many managers and no direction.

Good

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros1. Less work pressure
    2. Give oppurtunity to switch teams

Cons1. No Vision
    2. Not engineering driver.

Great place to work in Heathrow, FL

Senior Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Heathrow, FL

ProsSmart coworkers, great new upper management. Low turnover means the culture is tightly woven, yet very accepting and supportive to new hires. Great work-life balance. Management is well trained, knows how to stay out of the way of everyone doing the work.

ConsSalary raises have been meager for several years, promotions are very rare. New management has taken a long time to recover from a massive reorganization last year. The company is being reborn from the inside out, which is both frustrating and exciting.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!