Symantec

3.2 1,427 reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

1,427 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies"
    in 148 reviews
  • "Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good"
    in 92 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Senior management made a number of major mistakes before the new CEO came in"
    in 56 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Positive early on, deteriorated as mergers increased over the years.

Enterprise Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople are fantastic, very loyal to each-other and willing to assist to achieve common goals. There's been room for advancement and career growth through the years. Benefits package is very good although coverage vs cost has deteriorated over the years.

ConsFeels like someone just picked the company up like a snow globe and shook it till all the flakes are swirling like crazy (aka, Steve Bennett). Just when we get to the actual execution piece of his strategy the Board fired him. Complete change in leadership across the org. No one knows whats next, who'll be here, if we'll be sold off in pieces, etc. Alot of uncertainty is not a healthy work environment and promotes distrust, and "every man for himself" mentality. No clear goal/timelines for vision/strategy or execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior leadership needs to stabilize immediately and employee morale shored up.

Great people in lower and middle management

Senior Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone is very mature around the office. It feels like an old networking or hardware company, where there are a lot of people that you can learn the ins and outs of business from.

ConsThe maturity of the workers also makes it feel like there is a lack of energy or push forward. Everyone has been riding the renewals train for so long, they forgot how to get it moving when it stops. There didn't seem to be many opportunities to move up or around

Constant reorganization makes it hard to focus since goals are forever changing.

Human Resources (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBest work life balance company hands down. Lots of very smart people are most are generally nice.

ConsPay scales keep dropping and they expect you to get the jobs of more than one person done. Limited support from management and continued increased workloads. Didn't learn a lot from folks that I would expect to and did not feel that my career grew when I was there. This company has a ton of potential but just needs to get the right people running it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people market value to retain and keep them and start treating them like you care. The feeling has been "If you are not doing what you are supposed to then you are gone. " (messaging from Steve Bennett-Symantec 4.0 garbage... he's no longer there. ) Stop promoting the wrong people that don't have the experience in that disipline. Seems like the suck ups get the promotions but don't know how to run their teams and manage down. They keep hauling in the money while the teams are drowning with no support.

Chaos is the norm

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood corporate benefits, facilities are very good, working environment is high-energy and friendly, cross-team and cross-organizational collaboration is encouraged, employee programs are plentiful.

ConsRe-Organization and chaos is the norm across the company. For several years, especially 2012-13, the organization has seen continual indiscriminate gutting (aka RIFs) of employees at every level, leaving gaps in operational areas, communications, ownership of major processes and relationships. Talent is lost daily as knowledgeable employees leave or are replaced from outside at higher costs. Managers are not expected to be leaders or mentors, nor are these skills developed or demonstrated. Career paths are non-existent, and performance evaluations are completely subjective with no standard criteria or objectives applied. Outside of HR, processes and standard operations are nearly non-existent. There are so many highly skilled people who have lost the drive to contribute or lead because growth, progress, and implementing stable improvement is futile.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with an Organization Plan and a Leadership Team. Communicate and Manage Down. Hold Managers accountable for both development and loss of talent. Walk Your Talk about Employee Value.

Could use improvement, but mostly OK

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent health benefits
Competitive salary and bonus plan
Work/life balance
Flexibility to live anywhere in the US as long as you're near a major airport (for travel positions)
Great people to work with from manager level down

ConsConstant change in business direction to achieve growth
Restructuring of orgs occurs often
2 CEOs in the past 2 years
Director level and up values political capital
Security products don't keep pace with the rest of the industry
Underperforming stock

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a CEO, get behind that person, and give us some stability and assurance! Get on the ball with improving our products and work to improve customer satisfaction.

Dead end jobs and no training

Senior Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of opportunity to telecommute; some very smart people in the technical teams; if you're not in Sales or middle management, then job security is very good. Paychecks don't bounce.

ConsNo investment in the "individual contributor" employees. There is no technical training for technical support, not even on our own products. I've not been to class since 2008. No career path; prime positions are always given to the hiring manager's college buddy. A lot of people have given up and just put in the bare minimum not to get fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction and stick with it. We re-org every 2 years, always reversing direction, and make zero progress. Invest in the employees. They are capable of a lot more than what you let them do.

I worked here for 2 years after they bought out our company

Content Grader (Former Employee)
Beaverton, OR

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood compensation package, good work-life balance, telecommuting

ConsA lot of red tape, minimal concern for employee future

Too bureaucratic. Slow moving.

Principal Data Analyst (Former Employee)
Cupertino, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, Flexible hours that helps a lot in Work Life balance. If you need an easy work life, and not very ambitious, then this is the perfect place.

ConsNo work satisfaction. very slow moving government like environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey needed to lose some 'fat'. 6-7 employee team was doing work that can be done by 2 people easily.

Sr software engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Culver City, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is like any other high pressure IT company

ConsHigh pressure, lots of politics.

Great Team & Poor Management

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGenerally speaking the company pays competitive salaries. Great global Talent in India & China.

ConsM&A had created a lot of silos and poorly integrated solutions. Hard to be recognized unless you’re within the small leadership circles.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!

Symantec Videos

Symantec – Why Work for Us?

​​What do Symantec employees have in common? We are passionate about what we do and contribute to something really important! We protect the world’s digital information and interactions. At Symantec, you will enjoy an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symantec reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Symantec CEO Michael Brown. All 1,427 reviews posted anonymously by Symantec employees.