Symantec

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.2 1,572 reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies(in 191 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good(in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this(in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF(in 63 reviews)

1,572 Employee Reviews

Comp Plan Doesn't Make Sense

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Heathrow, FL

ProsThe health benefits are good and work/life balance is typically encouraged.

ConsNo raises, confusing comp plans, poor management. A lot of people are leaving Symantec right now and have been for about 18 months. A lot of senior leadership has left as well as tenured sales reps. Symantec is going downhill fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe last time I signed my comp plan, Symantec tried to take $5000 back from me that was already paid because it was essentially a pay cut that was backdated by 4 months. Not only was that illegal because you can't change someone's pay retroactively but they also took money out of my paychecks to pay them back without telling me which is also illegal. When I explained to HR that this was illegal in the state I reside, they dropped it. How many employees did this happen to that didn't fight it though?

Symantec generally a good place to work

Various (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsLarge company with significant market share and financial reserves with a strong base of intellectual property and brands. They seem to pay a bit above average for their staff and have the resources to make significant changes in their markets.

ConsLike many large companies, Symantec seems to be continuing a redistribution of their workforce to take advantage of global talent. While this is generally good for stock holders, it is often disruptive for creative teams in locations subject to redistribution and can have a morale impact for those teams. I still recommend it as a good place to work for professionals who actively manage their own careers, particularly in teams supporting their expanding product lines.

One of the best companies I've worked for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Prosgreat direct management relationship, training, great teamwork

ConsI cannot think of any at this time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good place to work in los angeles

Technical Director (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosflexible hours, easy going environment, good facilities

Conscan't think of any right now

IT team

IT Guy (Current Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsFree style office.
    Good and soft manager
    very Good take care of each team members

ConsUnix System Manage by HP. Bad managements and very slow response.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to training to HP guys...

Undervalued

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsA variety of training is available.

ConsOver pays management and under pays individual contributors. Wastes money on unnecessary expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to effectively run a business from industry leaders.

Don't work at Symantec

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsSymantec could be a great place to work if you are fortunate enough to be in a sales or remote product specialist position. For the most part they leave at 2 everyday or end up sleeping on the couches for half their shifts.

ConsEver since arriving at Symantec I have been promised promotions, raises, cross training opportunities, and more. None of these things have happened, I have been told to apply for several different advanced positions only to be told after I applied that they closed the position or were going to look within their team because it was overstaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent and stick with the company values. Stop under rewarding your hardest working employees and giving promotions to those who don't deserve it. We work hard because we want better, the ones you promote barely work at all because they don't care. Also, please realize that to some of us the name Symantec doesn't mean anything and we're not star struck enough to stay around after getting treated like dirt.

HUB Agent

Senior Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Heathrow, FL

ProsGreat place to work! Lots of opportunities as well very good benefits.

ConsLocation, need to drive about 1 hour to go to work.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

How will this end?

Sales (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsSymantec has an incredible long history in the technology space. Over the years, it has produced and acquired some of the best industry leading products. There was once a great culture with many talented individuals working towards a common goal.

ConsEither through management fads, terrible integration of acquisitions, and/or attrition of top talent, Symantec now has a mediocre senior management team. There is a genuine fear of not being relevant in the technology space and Symantec needs to innovate and become easier to do business with.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct as if this is the last quarter to turn things around, attract top talent, quit tweaking the system, and start executing. Also, find a celebrity or charismatic CEO that will lead the thousands of employees that are eagerly and patiently waiting to be inspired, otherwise risk top talent leaving.

Highly NOT-Recommended; You'll be Disappointed After 1 Year

Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompensation is on par with similar companies. Benefits are good. The majority of people you'll work with are good hearted, talented employees who have the best intentions in mind.

ConsToo many to list but these are toppers - 1) nearly all product lines are loosing market share so growth and profitability are limited; 2) marketing continually misses the mark with sales collateral so selling Symantec solutions is challenging; 3) HR is useless with its "you can find it on the HR web page" pat answer to questions; 4) Loyalty, passion, and hard work are quickly forgotten by leadership when the stock gets bashed and the next wave of layoffs are eminent ... sadly, you're on your own then, especially if you're in the later part of your working years. So much for the Symantec "family"!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop onboarding defectors from HP to fill leadership and senior management positions. If they were really had talent and innovative ideas to contribute they would have done so at HP where they had tenure. Please don't hire another "quack" CEO like Steve Bennett, the "please drink this cool aid" internal programs and policies he implemented gutted the company many loyal, passionate people who stood the test of time in the trenches ... until they were riffed.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!