Symantec

3.2 1,555 reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

1,555 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies"
    in 175 reviews
  • "Work environment is the best as a work mates, well paid considering the average in Poland"
    in 103 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF"
    in 60 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

HUB Agent

Senior Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
    Heathrow, FL

ProsGreat place to work! Lots of opportunities as well very good benefits.

ConsLocation, need to drive about 1 hour to go to work.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Undervalued

Mountain View, CA

ProsA variety of training is available.

ConsOver pays management and under pays individual contributors. Wastes money on unnecessary expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to effectively run a business from industry leaders.

Don't work at Symantec

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)
    Eugene, OR

ProsSymantec could be a great place to work if you are fortunate enough to be in a sales or remote product specialist position. For the most part they leave at 2 everyday or end up sleeping on the couches for half their shifts.

ConsEver since arriving at Symantec I have been promised promotions, raises, cross training opportunities, and more. None of these things have happened, I have been told to apply for several different advanced positions only to be told after I applied that they closed the position or were going to look within their team because it was overstaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent and stick with the company values. Stop under rewarding your hardest working employees and giving promotions to those who don't deserve it. We work hard because we want better, the ones you promote barely work at all because they don't care. Also, please realize that to some of us the name Symantec doesn't mean anything and we're not star struck enough to stay around after getting treated like dirt.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

How will this end?

Sales (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsSymantec has an incredible long history in the technology space. Over the years, it has produced and acquired some of the best industry leading products. There was once a great culture with many talented individuals working towards a common goal.

ConsEither through management fads, terrible integration of acquisitions, and/or attrition of top talent, Symantec now has a mediocre senior management team. There is a genuine fear of not being relevant in the technology space and Symantec needs to innovate and become easier to do business with.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct as if this is the last quarter to turn things around, attract top talent, quit tweaking the system, and start executing. Also, find a celebrity or charismatic CEO that will lead the thousands of employees that are eagerly and patiently waiting to be inspired, otherwise risk top talent leaving.

Highly NOT-Recommended; You'll be Disappointed After 1 Year

Sales (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsCompensation is on par with similar companies. Benefits are good. The majority of people you'll work with are good hearted, talented employees who have the best intentions in mind.

ConsToo many to list but these are toppers - 1) nearly all product lines are loosing market share so growth and profitability are limited; 2) marketing continually misses the mark with sales collateral so selling Symantec solutions is challenging; 3) HR is useless with its "you can find it on the HR web page" pat answer to questions; 4) Loyalty, passion, and hard work are quickly forgotten by leadership when the stock gets bashed and the next wave of layoffs are eminent ... sadly, you're on your own then, especially if you're in the later part of your working years. So much for the Symantec "family"!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop onboarding defectors from HP to fill leadership and senior management positions. If they were really had talent and innovative ideas to contribute they would have done so at HP where they had tenure. Please don't hire another "quack" CEO like Steve Bennett, the "please drink this cool aid" internal programs and policies he implemented gutted the company many loyal, passionate people who stood the test of time in the trenches ... until they were riffed.

mixed

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

Proshi-tech industry, location, some opportunities

Conslatest management is horrible, they don;t care for employees, they are mean, rude an downright insult people, extremely unprofessional. I hope I never have to see them again,

Advice to Senior Managementgo back to basics, learn management 101 before getting hired. you do not know what you are doing.

Great porfolio of products but too much change and lack of execution

Principal Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat products. Good pay. Great benefits. Symantec has the potential to be a great company once again but it is going to take some more time. It was a really greatt place to work about 3 years ago.

ConsManagement chaos. Sales & commissions down as a result. Lots of recent turnover and layoffs. Management continues to repeat past mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe board has fired two CEOs in two years. Maybe it is time for a new board.

tread with caution

Sales (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosdepending on the group you are in the people are wonderful
    great benefits and perks
    working remotely
    travel

Conscannot trust leadership
    work/life balance was terrible
    lack of resources (people) and sufficient system tools
    salaries are not that competitive
    too many reorgs

Advice to Senior Managementtake the employee sat surveys seriously
    be transparent with comms, do not say one thing and do the opposite, it is noticed

Symantec was a good company to work for. Good products, with many smart people.

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsWell funded, established brand, and the leader in the enterprise and consumer security markets. Well established OEM and channel partnerships.

ConsLeadership and lack of innovation. The company did not innovate and diversify beyond security. The Symantec and Norton brands could be dominate many business segments in today's markets. Security and backup are commodities and not much as been done to expand product offering.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove beyond security and backup. Sell off the consumer Norton brand while it still has value to a visionary company that can and will innovate!

Too many Layoffs

Director Sales Operations (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosflexible work schedule is helpful

ConsToo many layoffs companywide all the time

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!

Symantec Videos

Symantec – Why Work for Us?

​​What do Symantec employees have in common? We are passionate about what we do and contribute to something really important! We protect the world’s digital information and interactions. At Symantec, you will enjoy an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symantec reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Symantec CEO Michael Brown. All 1,555 reviews posted anonymously by Symantec employees.