Symantec

Symantec Reviews in Culver City, CA

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies(in 191 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good(in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this(in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF(in 63 reviews)

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Associate Support center analyst

Support (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

Proslots of opportunity to grow in carrer

Consupper management don't seem to care with the company's goal... too many changes on C level part

Advice to Senior Managementinvest onto your employee (training and recognition) so that we can also support your product with outstanding level

Thirsty for innovation

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsNice benefits package. Freedom to find work that you enjoy. Interesting problems to solve.

ConsChange there is hard to accept. Highest levels of management want change that will allow us to write adaptable software. Middle management loves the status quo of crunches and featureless software because that process of mediocrity is well defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany people at the company are afraid of failure. Take away their reasons to fear it.

Sr software engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsIt is like any other high pressure IT company

ConsHigh pressure, lots of politics.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bright future? Confused

SQA Manager (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsSalary and benefits
    Friendly co-workers

ConsTraining
    Aggressive change in organization
    Often lay-off
    Constant calling or email off-hour and weekend (Depends on the group). Upper management expects quick response anytime any day

Random and frequent lay-offs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsSmart people, excellent benefits and not overly crazy place to work

ConsCulture of fear where layoffs are regular and frequent occurance. It felt like layoffs where random and not tied to individual's performance, project or particular deliverable one has been assigned to. While there certainly were some wonderful people on the team, the management, some of which were out of northern California, never bothered to get to know the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of these people are gone by now but the big question is if the culture has also gone away since old habits die hard...

Nice work place

Software Developer (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsHelpful Team members.
    Not that hectic.

ConsLow Salary and Hardly any Perks
    Bad Canteen Food

A good place to start

Intern (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

Pros- Not too competitive
    - Good work/life balance
    - People are nice and helpful
    - Good place for a first job

Cons- Depending on your luck (which team you are put into), work here can get a little mundane and lackluster.
    - The cafeteria food could be better
    - Compensation is low

Advice to Senior Management- Compensation for interns is not competitive at all compared to other software companies;
    - There could be a more organized internship program. I can see that the company is going in the right direction in this regard though.

A fantastic eight years, but current re-org was mis-managed and makes me question their future.

Senior Manager, Public Relations (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsHighly talented workforce with many passionate people. Large company with large resources. The company is genuinely interested in doing the right thing for customers, employees and partners. Most executives have honorable ethics.

ConsThe business is incredibly complex and groups working in silos can be frustrating. The current re-org is trying to correct this, but it remains to be seen if it will work.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people for the behavior you want. Too much internal political game playing will continue to erode the talent and potential of the organization.

Big, Bureaucratic Behemoth

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsGreat health benefits, decent pay, nice people, stock price went up (good if you purchased stock via ESPP). Some of their products are great. New CEO, Steve Bennett, seems to really want to make the company a success. Has shaken out many middle managers and replaced VPs with his own cabal. Remains to be seen how effectively they can stream-line Symantec. Can't do worse than former management. I really think the new management team is sincerely trying to make things better.

ConsBasically the same cons of any 20,000 plus person company. Tons of bureaucacy. Like trying to run through glue. Committees, meetings are required to do the simplest of things. Procedures, procedures, and protocols, and they are always changing. Senseless required HR meetings. Hard to focus on your core job with all the emails you receive from different departments. You have 20-25 plus passwords for 20-25 different computer systems that you need to login to from time to time. And you need to change those passwords every 90 days or so. Don't write them down somewhere near your computer! Constant bureaucratic noise. You forget what your job is. Is it to fill out HR questionnaires, self-evaluations, progress reports, legal documents or what?

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it may be a good thing that you got rid of 2000 managers. Just keep doing your best to streamline the business and make systems more efficient. Get a single sign on program for employees to sign into all programs with one password. Cut out bureaucratic noise. Don't be so legalistic. Let employees do their jobs.

Talented and hard working team

Development Manager (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsThe team is dedicated and very hard working. The focused is on delivering a high quality product and satisfying customer needs. Open to new ideas.

ConsSlow to change and adapt to changes in the market place. Trying to do too many things with he available staff. Not enough focus on research.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe need to consider more investment into the future and using new technologies.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!