Symantec

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company and changing for the better under Steve Bennett

Senior Category Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsI'm 22 years into my corp. career and have worked at several employers across different industries - so when I say this is the best company I have ever worked for thus far in my career, I think it carries some weight. I am no corporate shill, but I do know a good work environment and good management when I see it.

Here are pros in my eyes to working at Symantec (keep in mind I've worked in the Marketing portion of the Consumer/Norton part of the business, so can't speak to Enterprise/Commercial segment and departments like Prod. Management, QA, Dev/Engineering etc.).

- Competent, caring co-workers (no, we don't have group hugs, but people here understand that you have a life outside of the office you must live -- that work/balance thing is real here).
- Competent management team (we just went through a re-org and the bad apples got thrown out of the bushel)
- Compensation is generous
- Benefits are generous, insurance plans very good (love the Cigna HRA plan)
- Frequent Travel (this is a benefit to me since I enjoy it)
- Work life balance is excellent: I can work from home when I need to and it's not an issue to my manager
- Company culture and values are clearly stated and all here understand you must abide by these values -- and it's encouraged with internal "Applause" awards program where others can give monetary prizes for those who excel at demonstrating adherence to these values through their work -- the company's core values are: Innovation, Action, Customer Driven,Trust.
- Training on Symantec's Code of Conduct is MANDATORY for all employees: this goes a long way towards creating a professional, courteous work environment (more companies need to do this). Psychopaths and sociopaths are not tolerated here.

- You are not locked into your role: I've met many folks at this company who started out doing one thing, but moved onto other roles. This is the first company where my manager has told me: "if there's another role you want to pursue, let me know and we'll see how we can make that happen." The caveat is you have to have been in your current role for at least a year before moving to a new one.

ConsThere aren't a whole lot of negatives in my eyes; maybe I think this way because I've worked at so many lackluster companies ;-) But here are a few:

- Onboarding process for new employees could use an overhaul: it's not the most user friendly process, but it more about the impersonal nature of it -- this really depends on your manager also - mine went out of her way to make sure I had what I needed; others may not though.

- The global scale of the company means you may be working calls in the evenings and early mornings or travelling A LOT -- but this depends on your role; get clarity on this before signing on.

Having said this, I like working with folks from other parts of the company in EMEA and APJ and have had the opportunity to meet great people around the world and across the org.

- Company could be more generous with RSUs for rock stars, though there are rumours management may be more generous with these during performance reviews this year.

- SYMC 4.0: this is the internal re-org/revitalization of Symantec across all segments of the company. It's more than a reorg: it's a new way of thinking about how we do business here. It created a lot of anxiety and doubt with some in the company, but I could see from the get-go when I came on board that change was necessary.

Steven Bennett did this before at Intuit, so he has a track record with change management. Think overall the re-org and re-focusing of the company is a good thing - I'm bullish on Symantec. We lost some people who really built the consumer business and that was painful to watch. And for many the uncertainty brought on by this was not good. But we're done with the re-org now though -- I only provide this last point for context.

Really, this has been a great place for me to work and the cons above are miniscule in my eyes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to employees post-reorg; continue to articulate corp. strategy as company executes against SYMC 4.0 vision. Show employees they are valued and not just cogs in a big machine.

Bright future? Confused

SQA Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalary and benefits
Friendly co-workers

ConsTraining
Aggressive change in organization
Often lay-off
Constant calling or email off-hour and weekend (Depends on the group). Upper management expects quick response anytime any day

Sr software engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is like any other high pressure IT company

ConsHigh pressure, lots of politics.

Enterprise Vault.cloud ( former LiveOffice ) group sucks big time

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation is decent, flexible hours.

ConsI can only speak about the EV.cloud group and that group sucks big time. They are having a super hard time retaining new talent because the former LiveOffice boys club is obnoxious. They are people who don't deserve to be anywhere near management positions but have become managers because every capable person left and they stayed and were given management positions. They are the most senseless bunch of people. Any sane person cannot work with them because they cause a ton of confusion, are rude and immature and as a group try to bully people. Fear and intimidation is rampant in the place. There is no career growth except for the people from that club or those who are willing to suck up to them. The engineering managers do nothing but frustrate everybody with their dumb arguments. These guys don't even know how to respond to emails properly. No new ideas are entertained, unless one of the ole boys proposes those. The code is of extremely poor quality and they are unwilling to improve things. The project managers have no clue, absolutely none and everybody despises them. All new people are leaving. My advice is stay away from this place and don't waste your valuable time here. You will be frustrated within a month or two here and will leave anyways.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all the top managers you brought in from Liveoffice and start fresh.

Nice work place

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Culver City, CA

I have been working at Symantec as an intern for less than a year

ProsHelpful Team members.
Not that hectic.

ConsLow Salary and Hardly any Perks
Bad Canteen Food

Random and frequent lay-offs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart people, excellent benefits and not overly crazy place to work

ConsCulture of fear where layoffs are regular and frequent occurance. It felt like layoffs where random and not tied to individual's performance, project or particular deliverable one has been assigned to. While there certainly were some wonderful people on the team, the management, some of which were out of northern California, never bothered to get to know the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of these people are gone by now but the big question is if the culture has also gone away since old habits die hard...

A good place to start

Intern (Former Employee)
Culver City, CA

I worked at Symantec as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Not too competitive
- Good work/life balance
- People are nice and helpful
- Good place for a first job

Cons- Depending on your luck (which team you are put into), work here can get a little mundane and lackluster.
- The cafeteria food could be better
- Compensation is low

Advice to Senior Management- Compensation for interns is not competitive at all compared to other software companies;
- There could be a more organized internship program. I can see that the company is going in the right direction in this regard though.

A fantastic eight years, but current re-org was mis-managed and makes me question their future.

Senior Manager, Public Relations (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHighly talented workforce with many passionate people. Large company with large resources. The company is genuinely interested in doing the right thing for customers, employees and partners. Most executives have honorable ethics.

ConsThe business is incredibly complex and groups working in silos can be frustrating. The current re-org is trying to correct this, but it remains to be seen if it will work.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people for the behavior you want. Too much internal political game playing will continue to erode the talent and potential of the organization.

Big, Bureaucratic Behemoth

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat health benefits, decent pay, nice people, stock price went up (good if you purchased stock via ESPP). Some of their products are great. New CEO, Steve Bennett, seems to really want to make the company a success. Has shaken out many middle managers and replaced VPs with his own cabal. Remains to be seen how effectively they can stream-line Symantec. Can't do worse than former management. I really think the new management team is sincerely trying to make things better.

ConsBasically the same cons of any 20,000 plus person company. Tons of bureaucacy. Like trying to run through glue. Committees, meetings are required to do the simplest of things. Procedures, procedures, and protocols, and they are always changing. Senseless required HR meetings. Hard to focus on your core job with all the emails you receive from different departments. You have 20-25 plus passwords for 20-25 different computer systems that you need to login to from time to time. And you need to change those passwords every 90 days or so. Don't write them down somewhere near your computer! Constant bureaucratic noise. You forget what your job is. Is it to fill out HR questionnaires, self-evaluations, progress reports, legal documents or what?

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it may be a good thing that you got rid of 2000 managers. Just keep doing your best to streamline the business and make systems more efficient. Get a single sign on program for employees to sign into all programs with one password. Cut out bureaucratic noise. Don't be so legalistic. Let employees do their jobs.

Talented and hard working team

Development Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe team is dedicated and very hard working. The focused is on delivering a high quality product and satisfying customer needs. Open to new ideas.

ConsSlow to change and adapt to changes in the market place. Trying to do too many things with he available staff. Not enough focus on research.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe need to consider more investment into the future and using new technologies.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!

Symantec Videos

Symantec – Why Work for Us?

​​What do Symantec employees have in common? We are passionate about what we do and contribute to something really important! We protect the world’s digital information and interactions. At Symantec, you will enjoy an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symantec reviews and ratings in Culver City, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Symantec CEO Michael Brown. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Symantec employees.