Symantec

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work in Heathrow, FL

Senior Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Heathrow, FL

ProsSmart coworkers, great new upper management. Low turnover means the culture is tightly woven, yet very accepting and supportive to new hires. Great work-life balance. Management is well trained, knows how to stay out of the way of everyone doing the work.

ConsSalary raises have been meager for several years, promotions are very rare. New management has taken a long time to recover from a massive reorganization last year. The company is being reborn from the inside out, which is both frustrating and exciting.

Comp Plan Doesn't Make Sense

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Heathrow, FL

ProsThe health benefits are good and work/life balance is typically encouraged.

ConsNo raises, confusing comp plans, poor management. A lot of people are leaving Symantec right now and have been for about 18 months. A lot of senior leadership has left as well as tenured sales reps. Symantec is going downhill fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe last time I signed my comp plan, Symantec tried to take $5000 back from me that was already paid because it was essentially a pay cut that was backdated by 4 months. Not only was that illegal because you can't change someone's pay retroactively but they also took money out of my paychecks to pay them back without telling me which is also illegal. When I explained to HR that this was illegal in the state I reside, they dropped it. How many employees did this happen to that didn't fight it though?

HUB Agent

Senior Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
    Heathrow, FL

ProsGreat place to work! Lots of opportunities as well very good benefits.

ConsLocation, need to drive about 1 hour to go to work.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great pay, great work/life balance and ingenuity is fostered.

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
    Heathrow, FL

ProsGreat work/life balance, though this may not be the case for all.
    Ability to work from home, though this also may not be the case for all.
    Innovation and collaboration is fostered, as well as open communication with management.

ConsUpper management consistently fails to make effective or timely decisions.
    Individuals that are not pulling their weight are allowed to continue with no consequence.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the real issues and stop "fixing" things until they are broken. The most blatant and obvious issues are never addressed, and the most insignificant items are what are changed.

Where good employees go to die!

Finance (Former Employee)
    Heathrow, FL

ProsNone, I can't think of any good reasons to waste any more time at an Employer who does nothing but provide lip service.

ConsGood employees get overlooked by their incompetent under qualified managers! Symantec is more interested in promoting women & others who could never be a manager at most other large companies! They couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag if their life depended on it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe better qualified than your employees, your no help to them and it makes you stick out like a sore thumb.

Great people and company

Associate Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Heathrow, FL

ProsGreat environment, people, and office

ConsNeed better training focus to develop all levels of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better training focus and mentorship

A worker drone at Symantec

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

Prosnice work environment
    paid school
    vacation allowance is good (more hours per year up to five years) you get near 2 days a month
    depending on what manager you have-they leave you alone
    can work from home 1 day a week
    you work with some intelligent individuals
    have finally seen the light (I think) instead of looking at reports and numbers-they finally have seen that our customers are #1 priority.
    new CEO seems to be on the ball.

Consnot many places to advance-you can go from Front line to advanced or backline or change support products , but not much else
    you do NOT get any profit sharing unless your management
    they do love to lay off..
    Benefits - they have the full package like most large corps BUT its expensive and they are paying for less and less each year....
    although you can work from home 1 day a week there really is no need for me to be in the office for 4 days a week, should increase work from home days to 2 a week .
    Have not moved into the 21st century regarding working hours still on the std 40 and not 32-35 like Europe.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf like you say you have flipped the triangle IE where at he top is the support team who talk to our customers and the bottom is management then WHY are we not compensated like you ?

Great hours, great job

Junior Analysis Assistant (Former Employee)
    Heathrow, FL

ProsMy hours were from when I got out of school until around 5-6. They taught me everything I needed to know and gave me all the material to learn from. Aside from that, you only needed some experience with the Microsoft Office suite

ConsMy boss was the worst part. Learn to get on their good side, fast.

Okay Except Directors

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Heathrow, FL

ProsThe actual work can be either simple and mundane or challenging due to the difficulty of figuring out how to fit something into the existing architecture or limited time before the "current" deadline.
       Salaries appear to be good to slighly above average.
       People tend to stick with the company for long periods (relatively "new" employees have been at the company 5-10 years, with many in the 15+ years).
       The new CEO (a lot better than the last one) appears to be trying to shake the company out of "this is how we've been doing it so we should keep doing it that way" into something more of "this is what we should be doing".

ConsThe past several years in particular, they would lay off independent contributors to meet some bean-counting salary target. It is nice in that it tended to end up with the better end of employees sticking with the company (though sometimes it seemed to be about who you knew). The problem is that they did not get rid of any directors or managers, and then they would hire or promote additional people until we have too many directors managers and not enough people actually doing the work.
       The longevity of current employees with most turnover being in the more recently hired areas seems to make it difficult for someone to get promoted.
       The CEO looked at how we have been doing things to see where problems arise, and has even given directions about how we should be doing things. The individual contributors who are actaully trying to do the work also give feedback as to what is not working, why it is not working, and what we should be doing instead. The directors, however, seem to be ignoring this and doing what they want to do. Several directors do this to the point of acting very unprofessionally and treat employees like children who do not deserve any respect
       The new CEO is also forcing a complete re-org from the top down which may help get rid of some of the management deadweight, though I think they should ditch all of the directors and start over with some new people.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the entire level of directors and everyone on the "Product Team" that has been here > 2 years. They don't appear to have any concept of how their jobs should be done let alone how to lead others towards getting the work done. They are trying to force a new process (poorly) to "improve quality and reduce schedule" which the individual contributors who actually have to deal with it every day to spend several days a month (sometimes an entire week at a stretch for particularly bad problems) where we cannot do work. When the block is removed, a flurry of changes causes even more problems and conflicts which reduces quality and increases the time required.
       When a release is still months away, they are imposing artifical milestones along the way where all things of X type have to be complete. If something will take longer, you have to come up with an alternative "hack" that will cause other problems later or not solve it correctly just so that they can claim that all of X type are done. You want to go back afterwards and fix it? Sorry, we don't have enough time in the schedule so it will have to be the next major product release instead.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

2013-the year of the support engineer

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Heathrow, FL

Pros2-3 years ago this job was horrendous- micro managed, do this , do that, why have you not done this etc, make sure you take 4-5 cases daily if not come and see me tell me why not etc-lot of people left..
    update to 2013 this has all changed ! its not a half bad place to work
    it all depends on your manager and your immediate team members which will make this a half decent job.
    no more micro managing
    no more why haven't you taken enough cases as they are assigned to you now.
    new CEO seems to know whats going on and is making changes
    pay is slightly higher than average
    paid school,
    discounts on phones, whirlpool, staples etc
    free company software for your home PC
    work from home 1 day a week

Consused to be a lot of "cons" but now
    id say
    I still don't like having no sick time to use-you accrue hours in your paycheck so if your sick you lose vacation pay that's built up.
    not many growth opportunities outside your core skill
    originally job was mon-fri, now forced to work weekends every few weeks
    (but it IS paid) and you work from home.
    but nevertheless I cherish my weekend family time and now its not always available.
    pay raises are in the 3% region , your not going to get rich working here.
    even though I can do the exact same job from home they are a bit stuck in the 20th century and don't allow more than 1 day from home.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new CEO Steve Bennett has turned the triangle upside Down realizing that the front line workers who help and face the customers are the most important however the salaries have not changed....
    while its nice to say our front line engineers are the most important it would be nice to see a salary structure that reflects it.....

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!

Symantec Videos

Symantec – Why Work for Us?

​​What do Symantec employees have in common? We are passionate about what we do and contribute to something really important! We protect the world’s digital information and interactions. At Symantec, you will enjoy an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symantec reviews and ratings in Heathrow, FL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Symantec CEO Michael Brown. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Symantec employees.