Symantec

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Enjoyed working for Symantec in the old Altiris office in Utah

Senior Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI worked for Altiris for a few years before they were acquired by Symantec. I definitely enjoyed the small company feel of Altiris better but, of course, transitions are never easy. The Symantec people I worked with were good, intelligent, hard-working people. Our management in Utah were great people and they led very well by their example.

ConsSome of the changes to proceses were difficult but, in the end, Symantec is a good company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more careful when purging people with many years of experience with your products as you can never get that experience back.

Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFast paced, exciting working environment. Lots of challenging and fulfilling assignments. Excellent leadership, excellent direction.

ConsSymantec as a whole was a great company to work for. However Symantec seems to be heavy into acquisitions, including buying competing technologies instilling internal competition and power struggles.

Staff is dedicated to being successful, but sometimes complacent senior management.

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits. Great coworkers. Up to date resources and equipment. Flexible work schedules. Profitability bonuses for senior staff. Stock options and grants for technical staff.

ConsDon't seem to be interested in the long term - more interested in short term profits for shareholders, rather than in retaining good development staff. Too much out-sourcing to India.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to innovate now, or your products will become stale and out of date. You can only milk the life out of current products for so long. Too many acquisitions too frequently, dilutes the brand and the cohesiveness of the company.

Great place to work when there

Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee)
Lindon, UT

I worked at Symantec as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThey will let you do your job. Great job as long as you do it their way.

ConsThey outsource to Asia. They look at the dollar not Quality. Afraid to give the real opinion in that you may loose your job.

Great people, benefits and work/life balance, with good work schedule flexibility; no upward mobility or clear vision

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompensation is better than average, benefits are great, and the culture is good, people are great at the office. Challenging engineering problems are always present, and flexibility in work schedule and process allows for creative solutions. Symantec has just picked up a new CEO that is laser focused on reinvigorating the business, and this is providing a more positive outlook on the future.

Cons'Thrashing' occurs frequently because of the loose process and somewhat ambiguous direction or absence of vision. Layoffs have occurred multiple times so there is always a looming apprehension about this reoccurring. A career track is virtually non-existent - it seems as though most are destined to remain in their hired positions for the length of their employment, rather than be encouraged to promote up. A common direction and enthusiasm for the business has been absent for some time, but may turn around with Steve Bennett as CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more enthusiasm for the business, and emphasize the importance of each role in the company as a vital part of the future success. Promote up key/star employees within the company, and foster a competitive culture that encourages more of this. Align all business units with focus that is in sync with Symantec's vision, and communicate more effectively how each business unit is a part of that vision.

Incredible Benefits and working environment really bad turn over.

Senior SQA Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits and working environment were excellent. Their applause system by co-workers was also very innovative and a motivator.

Consbad turn over. Symantec is known as a binge and purge company, hiring and laying off people per project.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess management, more individual contributors.

Sales rep

Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat team, and fun work environment

ConsPoor advancement opportunities unless you are willing to move.
Brand identity in constant flux, and the sharing of information is poor at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate consistency and clear message.

Initially, a great experience but turned very negative after Veritas acquisition.

Director of Software Development (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMy local team was absolutely awesome! Great leadership, all team members contributed to success of the product and team. Most of us still keep in contact even after we were laid off in 2008 and 2010.

ConsToo many people playing too much politics. Senior management is pathetic! They seem more interested in the bottom line and uninterested in the end user. Not a winning formula.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider the human factor - show more concern for users and employees.

SQA Engineer

Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Pay, Great Benefits, nice people and working with some of the best technology out there.

ConsTroubled leadership in the past at the exe level. Failure of some V.Ps to understand the technology that they are in charge of sometimes leads to foolish decisions. Frequent layoffs to prop up a sagging bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the layoffs, it is impossible to retain talent, and all it does is encurage employees to leave or work less hard in the hopes that next time they will get the severance.

Good company but too much bureaucracy

Senior Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood salary and benefits
Stability of a large company
Strong talent - get to work with pretty smart people

ConsPoor management regarding business decisions
Problems in infrastructure with networking, etc.
Lack of personal ability to make decisions and get job done

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to build an entrepreneurial feeling in smaller business units rather than trying to have all decisions made at a high level.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!

Symantec Videos

Symantec – Why Work for Us?

​​What do Symantec employees have in common? We are passionate about what we do and contribute to something really important! We protect the world’s digital information and interactions. At Symantec, you will enjoy an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symantec reviews and ratings in Lindon, UT — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Symantec CEO Michael Brown. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Symantec employees.