Symantec

Symantec Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated Apr 29, 2014

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies(in 192 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good(in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this(in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF(in 64 reviews)

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good products, awesome technical challenges, cutthroat management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThere is a high degree of talent in the engineering ranks. The need to develop technically complex technical features keeps the job new and challenging.

ConsSeveral members of senior management seem more interested in their own image, career advancement and managing up. There are consistent power/cooling/space issues in labs that limit the flexibility of the configurations that can be created for development and testing.

2013, a year of turmoil

Senior Princ Program Manager (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsIn my group, staff were given the tools and the freedom to do their jobs and innovate. Company-wide, there is is a desire to make the company, its products and its sales better. Around the globe, Symantec have a lot of very bright people who are very good at what they do.

ConsMost of the management in my group are gone now. The re-organization that was supposed to take three months in early 2013 has extended for a year, culminating in the firing of the CEO who started the re-organization. Needless to say, this is bad for morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've shed a lot of experienced people with a lot of knowledge over the last year. You might need to take some of them back.

Great Team & Poor Management

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGenerally speaking the company pays competitive salaries. Great global Talent in India & China.

ConsM&A had created a lot of silos and poorly integrated solutions. Hard to be recognized unless you’re within the small leadership circles.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing place to work at! I am more than satisfied to be a part of this company. Skipped my Google interview for it.

Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGot my own office even though I am an intern, very competitive salary and great facilities in the office building. Good projects to work on.

ConsNone so far. Great place to work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood stuff!

Good place to work, but comes with management and communication issues

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsGreat benefits and compensation.
    Great work/life balance.
    Technically competent engineering staff.

ConsI always got the feeling that mid-/upper-management cares more about how they look to their bosses then they care about representing their direct reports. This leads to changes in policy and direction that don't make sense.
    Sometimes important decisions are made without consulting the people that affect those changes the most.
    Still poor communication and cooperation between teams ("That's not my problem, so I wont help").

Advice to Senior ManagementSolicit the feedback from the direct contributors and show how you made changes in response to that feedback.

I love working at Symantec!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsI work on NetBackup and the product is stable, growing into new areas of Cloud backup and deduplication which allows us to do challenging and fun things at work

ConsSlow release cycles and long testing phases breaks the pace of work sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge development to do more test driven development and reduce QE testing times.

Great company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsFlexible work hours, great pay, great benefits. Managers are generally cool, easy to talk to. Little benefits like ping-pong tables, fitness centers, cafeterias, etc. are awesome!

ConsSome of the product managers are only there to make money. In my opinion, managers should have strong technical background. Some are business people, which really grinds my gears.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't turn a software company into a hardware company.

Sr Principal System Engineer

Appliance Specialist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsHigh tech lots of new technology pretty exciting place to work.

ConsBig company moves slowly at times.

Good Company!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsRelaxed culture...
    Planned releases...
    Flexible timings...
    Very good people...

ConsAs long ass you are able to handle Minnesota Winters you should be fine
    For the constant thrill seekers might not be the most happening place
    Change process takes for EVER!!

Lots of opportunities at Symantec that has kept me here for more than a decade!

Senior Manager, Engineering (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsOpportunities, Flexibility, Technology, Culture, Values

ConsCan't think of any big one

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't spread seniors thin; let them specialize toward excellence.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!