Symantec

3.3
1,739 Reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies (in 192 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this (in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Been here a while and probably will for a long time

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

Pros

People are great, talented individuals who seem to actually care about customers.
    Benefits are fantastic ( family of 4 medical/dental/vision is less that $500 per month), 401k matching, partial college paid. Work from home opportunities.

Cons

Can't seem to keep things going in a straight line before seeing results. Changing CEO lead to lack of direction. Products that seem to collect dust because no one has vision. Changes in market trends aren't noticed until it's too late in the game ( NortonZone, Database Security, Real time backup protection )
    Salary is always a pain, working up through the company you make less than the new guy with less experience, product knowledge, skills because you need VP approval for a 7% raise. When you have to "market value" raise an employee's salary $20k per year, you have to wonder if the company is doing right by the employee.

Products can change, policies can change but the people are what really make your company who it is. When you have mass exodus (Aka reduction in force) every few years, they are taking the knowledge and relationships with them, work on how to retain employees. Give them clear career paths, goals, salary increases based on market. Would the government turn over the best military troops to their enemy because they would pay them $10k more a year? It costs way more than that to train a new troop, why do it in business?

Lots of fun work culture

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Collaborative people with a helpful attitude for newbies.Good training programs

Cons

Some processes exist for no reason.

Bring on-site gym.

Your job? Now you see it, now you don't....

Pros

Excellent training, awesome co-workers, excellent and supportive management. I ran a consulting gig and ran my own show, and I loved it. The company is very comfortable with remote management and communications don't suffer. Very professional; these tend to be the best of the best in intelligence

Cons

Average staff age is young, young, young. They are prone to doing a lot of periodic layoffs as it benefits them in the stock market., and they are very careful about the numbers so you won't be able to pin them down on decisions based on age - but it was pretty obvious that they wanted to keep a young staff. No attempt to retain talent; if they target a group for a layoff everyone goes - and there will be no warning. This is a great place to cut your teeth, but don't expect to be there long-term and you will walk away having benefited from experience and training gains.

Show more loyalty to your employees. It's easy to whack off departments, but it won't give you a good reputation for future employees. And age and gender diversity could benefit you - young white males aren't going to be the majority among your customers forever.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, with some really great people

Current Employee - Benefits Team  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Benefits Team in Mountain View, CA

Pros

In general, the employees are very smart and motivated so there is a lot of opportunity, and support, for people to learn and to grow in your career there. Symantec always has something going on. If you work there, you will never be bored. My experience was dynamic and fast-paced. I had the opportunity to be part of some really great teams while I was at Symantec, which was truly important to me.

Cons

3 CEOs within 2 years made for a lot of uncertainty. Symantec is not a good place for people who are afraid of change.

Bring that stock price back up!

I believe in people, and the product

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

Pros

The culture and the people are proud of what they do.

Cons

Instability, too many changes, leadership is unstable

An overall good company, that strives to continually improve to be one of the '100 Best Companies to Work For'.

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager

Pros

Very good health benefits and competitive salary; introducing and promoting agile methodology throughout the organization, promoting employee innovation and collaboration.

Cons

Ongoing changes to vision and strategy; Little to no change to stock performance.

Need to settle on a vision and strategy that works for today and the future, especially when supporting both enterprise and consumer environments.

Lots of change, but overall great!

Current Employee - Director, Marketing
    Current Employee - Director, Marketing

Pros

-Competitive salary/bonus
    -Health benefits
    -Marketing org greatly improved and led by great CMO
    -Work/life balance
    -Time off

Cons

-Lots of change with no end in sight
    -Executives keep changing
    -Still too many products to market effectively
    -No CEO; more change to come when new CEO comes on board

-Continue to make Employee Value Proposition a priority
    -Do all you can to minimize impact from change

Challenging yet friendly working environment.

Former Employee - Senior Security Engineer  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Herndon, VA

Pros

Very flexible with work schedules to meet my commuting and family challenges. I was able to tele-work on a regular basis w/o repercussions. Great perks - snacks/drinks, weekly catered lunch. Diverse, friendly coworkers and management willing to bend over backwards to help you with anything.

Cons

No real cons, other than the day-to-day workload tasking was repetitive after a few months. I tried to automate what I could with scripts, but many tasks didn't lend themselves well to this. There was also a lack of willingness to look into technologies that could automate mass configuration changes on several thousand servers at once (Puppet, Chef). Sometimes I spent my days repeating the same menial tasks on many servers that I had the power to automate at other places I've worked.

The on-boarding process for new employees was lacking. I was essentially left to my own devices when it came to learning many of the internal management systems and business processes. This was primarily due to a staffing shortage on my team (The other guy transferred out as I arrived). The only other person on my team was in India and it was often difficult to coordinate activities and share knowledge. Ultimately this weighed somewhat in my decision to return to my previous employer as I thought I wasn't contributing enough to the team due to feeling behind the curve on where I expected to be after four months of employment.

Chaos due to lack of communication

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Exciting technological advancements, cool people, nice campus

Cons

Silo work groups, chaos and finger pointing, lots of CYA

Better avenues for communication

Great company

Pros

Good people I worked with.

Cons

Nothing specific, it's a software company so be prepared to work hard.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!