Symantec

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.2 1,583 reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies (in 192 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this (in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights
1,583 Employee Reviews

Great people, chaotic management team, fickle board of directors

Senior Director (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe people are generally young, smart and eager to win. The products are good, some are great. The benefits are good. I enjoyed my time working at Symantec and wouldn't have chosen to leave. I think long term the company is now headed in the right direction. They simply need to focus, stick to the current strategy and do a little work on some of their products.

ConsThe board of directors is too involved in the business driving short sited change. The company struggles to act as a single entity and makes it difficult to work across customer segments even when the opportunity/need arises. The on-boarding process is lacking to non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to saying what you'll do and doing what you say. Stop making hiring/firing decisions for mid-level managers.

Been here a while and probably will for a long time

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsPeople are great, talented individuals who seem to actually care about customers.
    Benefits are fantastic ( family of 4 medical/dental/vision is less that $500 per month), 401k matching, partial college paid. Work from home opportunities.

ConsCan't seem to keep things going in a straight line before seeing results. Changing CEO lead to lack of direction. Products that seem to collect dust because no one has vision. Changes in market trends aren't noticed until it's too late in the game ( NortonZone, Database Security, Real time backup protection )
    Salary is always a pain, working up through the company you make less than the new guy with less experience, product knowledge, skills because you need VP approval for a 7% raise. When you have to "market value" raise an employee's salary $20k per year, you have to wonder if the company is doing right by the employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementProducts can change, policies can change but the people are what really make your company who it is. When you have mass exodus (Aka reduction in force) every few years, they are taking the knowledge and relationships with them, work on how to retain employees. Give them clear career paths, goals, salary increases based on market. Would the government turn over the best military troops to their enemy because they would pay them $10k more a year? It costs way more than that to train a new troop, why do it in business?

Lots of change, but overall great!

Director, Marketing (Current Employee)

Pros-Competitive salary/bonus
    -Health benefits
    -Marketing org greatly improved and led by great CMO
    -Work/life balance
    -Time off

Cons-Lots of change with no end in sight
    -Executives keep changing
    -Still too many products to market effectively
    -No CEO; more change to come when new CEO comes on board

Advice to Senior Management-Continue to make Employee Value Proposition a priority
    -Do all you can to minimize impact from change

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging yet friendly working environment.

Senior Security Engineer (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsVery flexible with work schedules to meet my commuting and family challenges. I was able to tele-work on a regular basis w/o repercussions. Great perks - snacks/drinks, weekly catered lunch. Diverse, friendly coworkers and management willing to bend over backwards to help you with anything.

ConsNo real cons, other than the day-to-day workload tasking was repetitive after a few months. I tried to automate what I could with scripts, but many tasks didn't lend themselves well to this. There was also a lack of willingness to look into technologies that could automate mass configuration changes on several thousand servers at once (Puppet, Chef). Sometimes I spent my days repeating the same menial tasks on many servers that I had the power to automate at other places I've worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe on-boarding process for new employees was lacking. I was essentially left to my own devices when it came to learning many of the internal management systems and business processes. This was primarily due to a staffing shortage on my team (The other guy transferred out as I arrived). The only other person on my team was in India and it was often difficult to coordinate activities and share knowledge. Ultimately this weighed somewhat in my decision to return to my previous employer as I thought I wasn't contributing enough to the team due to feeling behind the curve on where I expected to be after four months of employment.

Chaos due to lack of communication

Analyst (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsExciting technological advancements, cool people, nice campus

ConsSilo work groups, chaos and finger pointing, lots of CYA

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter avenues for communication

Great place to work...

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood benefit! Open culture!

ConsBad working and life balance occasionally. Changing CEO too often.

Great place to work

Account Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSymantec Sales offered a great place to work. Compensation was good, and the inside support for success was excellent. I'd work there again.

ConsThe biggest challenge is the same with any large corporate company now, they want you to do more with less. It wasn't unreasonable but it was challenging.

Decent company, good benefits

Principal Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsGood Company, but in the midst of some major changes at the moment

ConsPoor vision from executive management

Progressive company with many benefits

Managing Editor (Former Employee) Remote, OR

ProsThe company is quite progressive in that they support telecommuting, have good benefits, and there were lots of bonuses and perks, as least in my opinion (never having enjoyed life at other Silicon Valley firms).

ConsVery siloed, seems to be struggling to make the shift to new economy, has to avoid getting tagged as bloatware.

Making a difference that matters with bright people and great technology

ProsDespite much of the change at Symantec, it continues to be a place where collaboration thrives, technical expertise is abundant and new and exciting offerings are being developed with innovative technology. Now more than ever, our personal, corporate and nation's security is at risk and requires new and effective ways to protect our valuable assets. It's feels great to be part of a company that takes on this mission with such great conviction and pride.

ConsChange is a distraction, regardless of the outcome. Though the tech world is ripe for constant change, effectively managing the impact of this change on the organization to ensure the employees can stay focused on the most critical aspects of the job will be key to success

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be forwarding looking in our vision and strategy, take bigger risks both in starting and stopping efforts. Build a sustainable culture for innovation, risk taking and diversity in the workplace

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!