Symantec Reviews

3.3
1,714 Reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies (in 218 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good (in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this (in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Great potential-lacking transparent leadership

Current Employee - Administrative in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits, compensation and above average growth opportunities.

Cons

Lack of communication from management explaining decision making reasons leaves employees feeling tossed to and fro without reason. Feels like a board and CFO run company with no employee advocates.

You will find much more motivated and driven employees who understand change and hardships better if given the reason and overall plan and understood what the end game is intended to be.

Without a major cultural overhaul, even splitting in two looks like a lost cause

I have been working at Symantec full-time

Pros

Work and life balance, flexibility.

Cons

Lack of leadership starting at C-level through Director. In general, execs care only about self-preservation and moving up the chain--not about customer needs and what needs to be done for the business. Career progression is based solely on who you know and not on capabilities or proven success. The preponderance of a "yes" culture has stifled innovation and created a bunch of zombies who only do what they're told and can't think outside the box. Sure, splitting into two companies now might on the surface help increase shareholder value but with the same execs and "middle-out" in place, the future is bleak.

Filter out the old, and bring in the new. A massive cultural overhaul is a prereq for success

Unorganized, Deceitful company masquerading as a trusted security partner.

Former Employee - Security Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Security Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Symantec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I did have some great co-workers to learn from and did learn a lot about the industry.

Cons

Refuse to verify my employment, their antivirus platform can't catch anything, they convinced customers to buy Raptor/SGS and Manhunt appliances then end of life'd all hardware platforms leaving customers unsupported.

You should not be in the security and trust business. You should verify people's employment, I have paystubs showing i was in good standing, allowed to invest in the ESPP, and receiving multiple A+ awards, but someone has tampered with my personnel file. Last I heard they've outsourced and "insourced" it twice to india and failed since I left.

Challenging times ahead

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Symantec full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Market compensation and benefit. Reasonable work-life balance. Sufficient in-house training courses.

Cons

There have been too many changes for the past 2 years. Employees are experiencing change fatigue. Globalization, in an attempt to adopt one size fits all the regions, with top-down approach ignores regional reality and employees simply blindly execute that put customer and business at risk.

Provide clear strategy coupled with consistent & discipline execution. Senior leaders need to collaborate and spend less time building silo empires. Too many instances of senior leaders expanding empires first than find the roles to fill the jobs.

Abhorrent company to work for. I hated my life everyday I worked there.

Former Employee - IT Applications Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - IT Applications Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is pretty competitive and the benefits aren't bad. They also offer opportunities for training. Great name recognition. The PIT stop was cool.

Cons

Bureaucracy- I had to file so many tickets to get anything done, all of which took 2 -5 days to resolves, sometimes more if I didn't harass HP (Symantec's IT).
    Attitude - No one really cares. If you ask people if they like working at Symantec, many say "it's alright" or "it's a job". No one is motivated to work hard to deliver a great product. People work on stuff because they have to and can't wait to get out this place.
    Financials - The company has become so strict on spending any money. If you don't have a very good business reason for spending money, you can't do it, regardless of whether it is $1 or $1 million.
    Recruiting - They basically hired a bunch of people into IT without really telling them what they would be working on and without clear direction. What the heck were they thinking? A transitions is coming, better hire people?
    Offshore - Like many other tech companies, there are a large number of people working offshore. Communicating and working with them can and is very difficult. Try it and you'll instantly know what I mean. I sure did love the 10PM or 11PM phone calls.
    Software - So much of the software Symantec uses does not work correctly. They mishmashed a bunch of software together and hoped for the best. Are you kidding me? They use things like java 1.5 or do not allow the use of the most recent software, which is stupid for so many reasons.

Try to follow things that make sense, not just policy. Actually try to think for yourself.

I used to believe it was headed the right direction.

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Heathrow, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Heathrow, FL

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work-life balance, and decent salary. The employees and lower level managers seem to want to do the right thing - if they were only allowed.

Cons

While they occasionally make moves in the right direction, management (directors and above) seem completely detached from the workers actually doing the work. They don't seem to know anything about the employees before making apparently random project assignments and don't seem to have any interest in getting employee engagement. Between a massive reorganization, project changes, turnover, I've lost count of the number of different managers within 2 levels of the independent contributors have changed.

The company needs to stop focusing on the short term and focus on the long term growth of the company. Forcing all employees to take a week off to reduce corporate expenses to make finances "look good" for 1 quarter is the most short-sighted thing I can imagine and it costs employee morale which will hurt even more than the long term. You were so concerned about losing the "top talent" under Steve Bennett that you forced him to resign, but I guess you don't count people who are not executives as worth keeping.

Absolutely the worst place I have worked at

I worked at Symantec

Pros

The espresso machine, free Norton licenses as an employee

Cons

Where do I start? I worked for eBusiness when it was still alive, and the whole thing was an outsourcing nightmare. Very little technical talent were onsite, and most employees were on H1B so they were driven to the ground like slaves.

Everything was outsourced at eBusiness - nothing was built in-house except for a bunch of architects, and higher level dev leads who had little to no control of our vendors. The development vendor from India only listened to the people who paid their bills and the VP. The whole charade thankfully has now moved to Western Union Digital. (Yeah, real talent works for a funds transaction company)

Good heavens they were fired. Not sure why some people are still there?

Incompetence runs rampant

Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits
    Lots of people find good places to hide so that they don't do any work

Cons

Culture - worst culture of any company in the Valley. The culture was so bad that the company established "Culture Champions" (quasi-cheerleaders) in an effort to change. The reason for the high pay is to entice you to stay.
    Management incompetency - worst management (or lack there of) team I have experienced. Spend countless hours on worthless and meaningless work. Managers more interested in empire building and protecting turf. Most managers did not have people skills and were promoted only because of the "friends" or internal mafia association.

Fire two thirds of the company as they are not needed. There is too much redundancy between teams and systems. 17,000 employees for what this company produces is ridiculous.
    Too many managers - fire them all and create a flatter organization.
    Outsourcing the IT organization was one of the dumbest things the company has ever done. WTF?
    Figure out an M&A strategy that involves integrating the companies that you bought several years ago. What a freaking mess you have with overlapping and redundant systems. One of the reasons, besides incompetent management, that the culture sucks. Data entry jobs - really? A high tech company that has data entry jobs focused on keeping two redundant systems in sync because no one thought of finding an API? WTF

I could go on for hours.

Daylight robbery - CEO robbing people of PTO and moving value to Shareholder

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance: If you dont want to work too hard and just want to cruise along, this might be a great company to work for.

Cons

Career development: 3 CEOs in 2 years, all of senior management has changed, Interim CEO has implemented mandatory PTO to reduce liability on this books (this essentially moves the money from employees who have already earned the benefits into shareholders pockets).

Stop stealing from your employees or you will not have any employees left to steal from.

Cold Hearted Organization

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Having had the privilege to work with smart and great people made my time with them worth it.

Cons

Leadership has absolutely no conscience and myopic values that change with the wind.

I always scratch my head when I see valuable talent walked out the door while those with no heart, passion, vision, or gusto keep their jobs. Really glad that I'm not there any longer.