Symantec

Employer Engaged

Management Heavy, Decision Paralysis, Poor Pay

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My paycheck seems to come on a regular basis ...

Cons

Company suffers from massive management heavy structure. More "Chiefs than Indians". Constantly shifting org restructuring. The usual BS about big companies, they lie out one side of their mouth to the employees, and then do something different.

They constantly change the bonus structure to insure that Sr. level Execs get their dough when times are tough, and the worker bees get the shaft.

Stock options are precious, far and few in between, and never really worth much.

They waste money on big gambles, but pinch pennies on the stuff that matters and empowers employees to be able to do their job. Like pens and pencils. Or a stapler for goodness sake. Worse, the corporate LAN sucks so bad and is constantly dropping off that you can't get much done.

Get fired, asap - you're basically useless, destroying the company, and need to get out of the way of the engineers and people actually doing the work.

Opportunities abound

I worked at Symantec

Pros

When you demonstrate value, there are a multitude of opportunities for lateral moves.

Cons

Frequent changes in management over the past several years, but things appear to be settling.

Company has reverted back to it's old ways

I worked at Symantec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very intelligent people at the level that I worked with, most everyone meshed really well and our direct managers listened to us They are willing to work with you if life happens to you and you have to leave early.

Cons

Lack of raisess for "Exemplary employees" is disheartening. Upper management and CEO who was replaced last fall, they don't seem to care what everyone else in the company needs as long as it stuffed their pocketbook full of cash

Upper management needs to stop treating everyone else like gerbils. we're people too!

It was great working for symantec. The employees are very friendly

Current Employee - Software Intern in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Software Intern in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

The timings are very flexible in symantec. Training is provided for new technolgies

Cons

The climate is very cold

Think before you go here

I have been working at Symantec full-time

Pros

The benefits and salary are OK

Cons

Management seems more focused on if a person works from home than if they do good work.
    Politics are crazy, and most managers are not good.

This is a global company, so having everyone in the office is not realistic. The real issue is all the things we are asked to do are a priority and you are not really addressing the real issues that you already know by all the surveys

Advanced Technical Support Engineer

I worked at Symantec

Pros

Great Benefits, Cool environment and coworkers

Cons

Too many upper management changes. Not a lot of room for advancement.

Huge Opportunities, Incredible amount of change

Current Employee - Senior Director in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time

Pros

Market / Industry growth potential is awesome, lots of fun people to work with, people are resilient to say the least. Global footprint provides great challenges for the willing. Senior management open to new ideas and is quick to accept proposed changes

Cons

Incredible amount of churn at the top of the company from CEO to C-level to VP's. Lots of downsizing to get company to right ratios. Concerned whether there is true cohesion amongst the leaders. Difficult to see synergy and teamwork, lots of people with a unique desire to be the one to fix the company single handedly and not partner with others.

Stick to the basics, set the strategy and objectives. Let your VP's, Directors and Managers run the business day to day.

An easy, albeit sad working experience

Former Employee - Marketing in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good compensation, fair work-life balance, nice brand to work with, and depending on your manager you can get some pretty fair raises and bonuses.

Cons

Leadership failure. In my two years here the company went through 3 CEOs.

Invest in long-term leadership and develop a unified management voice.

I left at the right time

Current Employee - Ecommerce in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Ecommerce in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

It was a great place to work until mgmt screwed it all up. At one time, I thought I would never leave, as it was superb company with a lot of opportunity for growth and development. Will they get to that again? I don't know.

Cons

Over the last four years, almost everyone I know at Symantec was let go. Literally 4 years of lay offs, which does not make for an enjoyable environment. One day you'd have a new boss, the next day they were let go and you were put somewhere else, that is if you made that round's cut. People bumbled around trying to figure out what their job was for years. I assume now that with the 3rd CEO in 4 years that something new is bound to happen, but I would be wary of going there.

A good place to kick-start a career, but don't stay for too long.

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Symantec full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1.) tuition reimbursement - $5,250 per year (but you have to pay it back when you leave).
    2.) performance reviews (raises) - 3% yearly raise with satisfactory performance.
    3.) good benefits - on site gym (a bit small, but decent), IT pit stop where you can take you devices for service.
    4.) I got a ton of experience in storage, OS administration, & troubleshooting that i will always be thankful for.
    5.) Colleagues were highly skilled & intelligent professionals that were always willing to help.
    6.) telecommuting on weekends & holidays.

Cons

1.) lack of career growth - management will say that they are willing to assist you with career growth, but it never happens.

2.) layoffs - many employees were laid off on October 2014, & there are rumors that 10% more will be cut in January 2015 or later. I hope this is wrong.

3.) no additional training after you become productive. You need to be passionate about learning new skills & you must invest in yourself. No one else will help you with this.

1.) help those that are ambitious. If someone has a desire to grow & to build a career within your organization, you should help them, instead of trying to keep them in one spot for as long as possible.

2.) don't layoff highly skilled, loyal workers; don't layoff & rehire. You already invested significant time, money, & resources into training these employees, it would be a waste to let them go. If restructuring requires more employees in one area & less in another, then work to transition your employees to that area instead of dumping them.

3.) don't force employees to use PTO in order to "raise" your net profit (i don't see how you can raise net profit by forcing employees to take a week off. If your concerned about employees leaving & paying out that PTO, then perhaps you should work on employee retention) .

4.) invest in research & development so that the company can produce products that are competitive in markets that matter (storage, cloud computing, big data, etc.).

5.) learn - teach - learn doesn't work & is cheap. Symantec is a multi-billion dollar company, It wouldn't hurt to spend a couple thousand to host a class from a vendor on site in order to properly invest in your employees.