Symantec Reviews

3.3
1,712 Reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies (in 217 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good (in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this (in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Chaos due to lack of communication

Current Employee - Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting technological advancements, cool people, nice campus

Cons

Silo work groups, chaos and finger pointing, lots of CYA

Better avenues for communication

An overall good company, that strives to continually improve to be one of the '100 Best Companies to Work For'.

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager

I worked at Symantec full-time

Pros

Very good health benefits and competitive salary; introducing and promoting agile methodology throughout the organization, promoting employee innovation and collaboration.

Cons

Ongoing changes to vision and strategy; Little to no change to stock performance.

Need to settle on a vision and strategy that works for today and the future, especially when supporting both enterprise and consumer environments.

I used to believe it was headed the right direction.

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Heathrow, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Heathrow, FL

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work-life balance, and decent salary. The employees and lower level managers seem to want to do the right thing - if they were only allowed.

Cons

While they occasionally make moves in the right direction, management (directors and above) seem completely detached from the workers actually doing the work. They don't seem to know anything about the employees before making apparently random project assignments and don't seem to have any interest in getting employee engagement. Between a massive reorganization, project changes, turnover, I've lost count of the number of different managers within 2 levels of the independent contributors have changed.

The company needs to stop focusing on the short term and focus on the long term growth of the company. Forcing all employees to take a week off to reduce corporate expenses to make finances "look good" for 1 quarter is the most short-sighted thing I can imagine and it costs employee morale which will hurt even more than the long term. You were so concerned about losing the "top talent" under Steve Bennett that you forced him to resign, but I guess you don't count people who are not executives as worth keeping.

Challenging yet friendly working environment.

Former Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Symantec full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible with work schedules to meet my commuting and family challenges. I was able to tele-work on a regular basis w/o repercussions. Great perks - snacks/drinks, weekly catered lunch. Diverse, friendly coworkers and management willing to bend over backwards to help you with anything.

Cons

No real cons, other than the day-to-day workload tasking was repetitive after a few months. I tried to automate what I could with scripts, but many tasks didn't lend themselves well to this. There was also a lack of willingness to look into technologies that could automate mass configuration changes on several thousand servers at once (Puppet, Chef). Sometimes I spent my days repeating the same menial tasks on many servers that I had the power to automate at other places I've worked.

The on-boarding process for new employees was lacking. I was essentially left to my own devices when it came to learning many of the internal management systems and business processes. This was primarily due to a staffing shortage on my team (The other guy transferred out as I arrived). The only other person on my team was in India and it was often difficult to coordinate activities and share knowledge. Ultimately this weighed somewhat in my decision to return to my previous employer as I thought I wasn't contributing enough to the team due to feeling behind the curve on where I expected to be after four months of employment.

Lots of change, but overall great!

Current Employee - Director, Marketing
    Current Employee - Director, Marketing

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Competitive salary/bonus
    -Health benefits
    -Marketing org greatly improved and led by great CMO
    -Work/life balance
    -Time off

Cons

-Lots of change with no end in sight
    -Executives keep changing
    -Still too many products to market effectively
    -No CEO; more change to come when new CEO comes on board

-Continue to make Employee Value Proposition a priority
    -Do all you can to minimize impact from change

Okay experience. Good start though.

Current Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Good learning opportunity. Good mentors.

Cons

Conjusted space. Some lack of professionalism. Lack of goodies for interns. No free food except coffee

Great company

I worked at Symantec

Pros

Good people I worked with.

Cons

Nothing specific, it's a software company so be prepared to work hard.

Incompetence runs rampant

Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits
    Lots of people find good places to hide so that they don't do any work

Cons

Culture - worst culture of any company in the Valley. The culture was so bad that the company established "Culture Champions" (quasi-cheerleaders) in an effort to change. The reason for the high pay is to entice you to stay.
    Management incompetency - worst management (or lack there of) team I have experienced. Spend countless hours on worthless and meaningless work. Managers more interested in empire building and protecting turf. Most managers did not have people skills and were promoted only because of the "friends" or internal mafia association.

Fire two thirds of the company as they are not needed. There is too much redundancy between teams and systems. 17,000 employees for what this company produces is ridiculous.
    Too many managers - fire them all and create a flatter organization.
    Outsourcing the IT organization was one of the dumbest things the company has ever done. WTF?
    Figure out an M&A strategy that involves integrating the companies that you bought several years ago. What a freaking mess you have with overlapping and redundant systems. One of the reasons, besides incompetent management, that the culture sucks. Data entry jobs - really? A high tech company that has data entry jobs focused on keeping two redundant systems in sync because no one thought of finding an API? WTF

I could go on for hours.

Absolutely the worst place I have worked at

I worked at Symantec

Pros

The espresso machine, free Norton licenses as an employee

Cons

Where do I start? I worked for eBusiness when it was still alive, and the whole thing was an outsourcing nightmare. Very little technical talent were onsite, and most employees were on H1B so they were driven to the ground like slaves.

Everything was outsourced at eBusiness - nothing was built in-house except for a bunch of architects, and higher level dev leads who had little to no control of our vendors. The development vendor from India only listened to the people who paid their bills and the VP. The whole charade thankfully has now moved to Western Union Digital. (Yeah, real talent works for a funds transaction company)

Good heavens they were fired. Not sure why some people are still there?

Great place to work...

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefit! Open culture!

Cons

Bad working and life balance occasionally. Changing CEO too often.