Symantec

Symantec Reviews in Roseville, MN

Updated Apr 29, 2014

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies(in 191 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good(in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this(in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF(in 63 reviews)

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I love working at Symantec!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsI work on NetBackup and the product is stable, growing into new areas of Cloud backup and deduplication which allows us to do challenging and fun things at work

ConsSlow release cycles and long testing phases breaks the pace of work sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge development to do more test driven development and reduce QE testing times.

2013, a year of turmoil

Senior Princ Program Manager (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsIn my group, staff were given the tools and the freedom to do their jobs and innovate. Company-wide, there is is a desire to make the company, its products and its sales better. Around the globe, Symantec have a lot of very bright people who are very good at what they do.

ConsMost of the management in my group are gone now. The re-organization that was supposed to take three months in early 2013 has extended for a year, culminating in the firing of the CEO who started the re-organization. Needless to say, this is bad for morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've shed a lot of experienced people with a lot of knowledge over the last year. You might need to take some of them back.

Good place to work, but comes with management and communication issues

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsGreat benefits and compensation.
    Great work/life balance.
    Technically competent engineering staff.

ConsI always got the feeling that mid-/upper-management cares more about how they look to their bosses then they care about representing their direct reports. This leads to changes in policy and direction that don't make sense.
    Sometimes important decisions are made without consulting the people that affect those changes the most.
    Still poor communication and cooperation between teams ("That's not my problem, so I wont help").

Advice to Senior ManagementSolicit the feedback from the direct contributors and show how you made changes in response to that feedback.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsFlexible work hours, great pay, great benefits. Managers are generally cool, easy to talk to. Little benefits like ping-pong tables, fitness centers, cafeterias, etc. are awesome!

ConsSome of the product managers are only there to make money. In my opinion, managers should have strong technical background. Some are business people, which really grinds my gears.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't turn a software company into a hardware company.

Lots of opportunities at Symantec that has kept me here for more than a decade!

Senior Manager, Engineering (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsOpportunities, Flexibility, Technology, Culture, Values

ConsCan't think of any big one

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't spread seniors thin; let them specialize toward excellence.

Good Company!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsRelaxed culture...
    Planned releases...
    Flexible timings...
    Very good people...

ConsAs long ass you are able to handle Minnesota Winters you should be fine
    For the constant thrill seekers might not be the most happening place
    Change process takes for EVER!!

OK place to work

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsGood pay
    Interesting technologies and work experience

ConsToo much pressure on release dates

Too big...good place to work

Senior Principal BCE (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsStrong advancement opportunities, excellent and very knowledgeable employees. Corporate culture is very open and only mildly competitive.

ConsSome weak product portfolios with no direction on where to bring them. An inability to use the human and technical capital that is in existence. Sr. Management seems to be stymied on how to organize groups to maximize productivity and effectiveness. Too many worthless initiatives that go nowhere. Bad carry through.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to use the incredible people who work there. Surely if you don't someone else will.

Fulfilling

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

Pros- Good work environment
    - Separate offices
    - Excellent Management
    - Good team ethics
    - Diversity and multi cultural
    - Good products to work on

Cons- Management politics
    - too many processes to follow
    - Ineffective translation of vision goals into actual implementation (Gap between management and technical people)

Good pay, treated poorly

Tech Support Engineer (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsGood Pay and nice benefits.

ConsManagers are not honest - even on small items that do not really matter - can not trust anything that is said

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!