Symantec

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

331 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent compensation, too much politics, slow pace

Technical Director (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent compensation, job security, work/life balance, fair individual contributor ladder.

ConsWorst office politics I've I seen in my 15 year career in Silicon Valley. It seems that only the people who have nowhere else to go are staying. It's only fair that I count myself among these; what keeps me in is primarily compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange and risk is a good thing

Lots of changes but optimistic

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSymantec is undergoing large changes, and has established terrific values to ensure employee engagement. There is still much to be done, but I am optimistic as we have made a lot of progress so far.

ConsLot of changes in upper management, which needs to stabilize.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to engage employees as you drive the company forward. Continue encouraging risk taking, and out of box thinking at all levels.

Good people and benefits. Mixed signals from board and top management.

Senior Principal Database Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSymantec is very supportive of women, LGBTQ, and diverse ethnicitiesand cultures. There are numerous affinity groups and they hold events/celebrations for all employees. The benefits are good (health care, etc) and the compensation seems to be market driven.

ConsSymantec has a problem with setting course and committing to it.

Case in point, the CEO Steve Bennett was getting high points with the employees and improving confidence within. Then the board fired him and replaced him with an interim CEO, Mike Brown. Previously the board had asked Steve (who was on the board at the time) in 2012 to replace the previous CEO Enrique Salem due to performance issues under Enrique. There have been three CEOs in less than three years.

A number of changes were made by Steve (e.g. improving employee to manager ratio from 3/1 to 8/1) and employee morale was growing. Now we are all wondering when the other shoe drops.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your plan together and execute it. Plan for short term, but more importantly plan for the long term.

Great people in lower and middle management

Senior Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone is very mature around the office. It feels like an old networking or hardware company, where there are a lot of people that you can learn the ins and outs of business from.

ConsThe maturity of the workers also makes it feel like there is a lack of energy or push forward. Everyone has been riding the renewals train for so long, they forgot how to get it moving when it stops. There didn't seem to be many opportunities to move up or around

Constant reorganization makes it hard to focus since goals are forever changing.

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBest work life balance company hands down. Lots of very smart people are most are generally nice.

ConsPay scales keep dropping and they expect you to get the jobs of more than one person done. Limited support from management and continued increased workloads. Didn't learn a lot from folks that I would expect to and did not feel that my career grew when I was there. This company has a ton of potential but just needs to get the right people running it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people market value to retain and keep them and start treating them like you care. The feeling has been "If you are not doing what you are supposed to then you are gone. " (messaging from Steve Bennett-Symantec 4.0 garbage... he's no longer there. ) Stop promoting the wrong people that don't have the experience in that disipline. Seems like the suck ups get the promotions but don't know how to run their teams and manage down. They keep hauling in the money while the teams are drowning with no support.

Too bureaucratic. Slow moving.

Principal Data Analyst (Former Employee)
Cupertino, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, Flexible hours that helps a lot in Work Life balance. If you need an easy work life, and not very ambitious, then this is the perfect place.

ConsNo work satisfaction. very slow moving government like environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey needed to lose some 'fat'. 6-7 employee team was doing work that can be done by 2 people easily.

Symantec ebusiness group is in death spiral

Software Engineering (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood cafeteria, close to Google and good eating places.

ConsAbsolutely no respect for talent and typical cronyism you see in large companies that are lagging in innovation. Management holds grudges on people and retributions are common. Re-orgs are used as a method to eliminate people who question leaders on their decision. Leadership team members have absolutely no knowledge of technology or Symantec's business processes and they initiate projects which have absolutely no benefit for Symantec's bottom-line. Wall St. notices that very well. Talent is leaving this company in hoards and the talent that is still is just waiting to leave. Don't come here if you have options.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace middle management entirely with new people who have strong technical background

CHAOS and mismanaged

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time for less than a year

Prosgood work life balance. great office (yes a personal office). Good benefits

ConsNo defined direction.
No real innovation. They claim to file for lot of patents, but they are just in the existing products. There is no real new product that comes out.

Even if they start a new initiative, after a few months down the line if they see no real revenue coming or the person who started that product leaves, they just shut it down. Common you could have analyzed the ROI way before starting the product.

Abruptly shuts down products which are in market.

every 6 months or so a re-org happens. It seems that some higher up manager/leader needs to show that he is "working" and wakes up to do a re-org.

They are still stuck with a mix of Agile/Waterfall model. Though most of the teams claims to be running Agile, its basically a v5.0 of Waterfall model.

This is a Mammoth (not an elephant). They say 4.0 will turn it around, but 4.0's been going on for over 1+ year and not sure if it did turn the Mammoth into an Elephant yet.
The point is : its difficult to churn the Elephant around within an Year or 2.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some really good engineers. and cut of the management heavy layer that you have.
Hire some really good Product managers too.

Our mobile products are released every 2 months, where as every other mobile company releases every 2 weeks. No one is going to wait for such a long release.

Growing pains

Senior Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood compensation, great coworkers, good work/life balance, smart people, good about allowing opportunities for training/personal development, benefits are good

Consregular lay-offs, growth through acquisition only, Symantec milks an acquisition for about 3-4 years then places software in maintenance mode, hard to generate internal organic growth

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage internal talent for organic growth, encourage more internal innovation rather then looking almost exclusively to acquisitions for growth.

Not a place for "doers", but great for "talkers"

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood compensation and benefits, legacy business generating strong cash flows, good work/life balance, opportunities for internal transfers, great place to hone your "office politics" skills.

Cons- Toxic culture, not conducive for innovation
- Abnormally large % of C and D level talent
- Smooth talking gets you promotions - no need to build/ship anything
- 30-70% of management time spent on self-preservation & "building personal brand". Results in missed opportunities, poor product quality, no organic growth, low customer satisfaction

Formula for success at Symantec - point fingers, deflect blame, take credit for others work.

Advice to Senior Management- The easy part of 4.0 initiative is done ( absolutely right thing to do!). Focus on changing the culture
- 4.0 mindset is NOT trickling down to mid-level managers
- Identify and reward true talent. Make an attempt to see through these charlatans, hold people accountable
- There are tremendous opportunities for growth that is readily achievable - get your act together now!

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!

Symantec Videos

Symantec – Why Work for Us?

​​What do Symantec employees have in common? We are passionate about what we do and contribute to something really important! We protect the world’s digital information and interactions. At Symantec, you will enjoy an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symantec reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Symantec CEO Michael Brown. All 331 reviews posted anonymously by Symantec employees.